Busy day

mishmosh

Spent some time sorting the gt4s. Since I changed to the 1500 engine with j type theres been a few issues ! First quite easily sorted. The exhaust gasket had blown. Only lasted 1000 miles to i refitted the exhaust to gear box bracket from the 1300. Cleaned the faces and used gasket paste only time tell. Topped up gearbox. This has used 1 litre in 1000 miles !!! It is now quieter though. Topped engine oil. 1 litre in 1000 miles ..... Now looking forward to a quieter fumeless car. Decided to stick with standard 411 diff due to the financial restrictions ! Await mr paps second hand one .....

Don't worry, the 4.11 works a treat with a 1500 and OD. John Kipping always reckoned it was the best combo for a herald, yours is pretty close to a herald so stick with it (I have been using it in my Toledo for 5-6 years, and the only issues I had were from being rather heavy with the right foot on track, respect the red line and the 1500 will be fine. Exceed the red line, and it is dangerous territory, from hard won experience)

I had issues with that flipping exhaust gasket. I t got better after I filed the manifold and downpipe surfaces flat (they were very lumpy) but drilling/tapping a larger thread solved the problem....I used 10mm with cap head bolts, as I own a 10mm tap and the bolts were easy to get.

Depends on the diff number:

GA diffs with a number under 237600, GB under 57202 or FC under 120000 had smaller inner shafts and these WILL break with a 1500 engine.  It may take a while.  Mine lasted well over a year of hard use, but went bang after about 3 months with the next owner.  Even a 1300 engine may cause them to go - they are not designed for the extra ooomph!.  The number is on the lowest (fore and aft) part of the casting.  A number starting HB is Vitesse 1600 and should be fine, as should numbers higher than those given above.  But you never know exactly what's inside.

C.