Classics Monthly

Thank you Darren. I didn't like to mention it myself but I have to say that Paul Wager has produced a very well written article and included some very flattering pictures of the car. True there were a few mistakes in what he said but he worked totally from memory. 

For those of you who don't know and might be interested, despite what it says in the article, the car will not be up for sale in the Autumn. Paul was quite right in stating exactly what I told him at the time but since then we have been to France where quite a degree of bonding took place between me and the car. I aimed for Caterham level of handling and it has absolutely delivered everything I asked for. No body roll, sharp turn in and corners as if on rails. Biggest surprise has been the engine which is flexible and provides so much power right up through the rev range. The overall lightness of the car coupled with the power of the engine makes it an absolute delight to drive on twisty roads. Just to put the performance into context it has a better power to weight ratio than a Lancia Delta Integrale, Lotus Elise and Fiesta ST185; impressive for a N/A forty year old design 1500.

But I do need an new project. To avoid having to sell the Triumph I have ditched the Elan idea in favour of a Ginetta G15 which is much more affordable. Many of you will know that the G15 is Hillman Imp powered but utilises Spitfire front suspension and steering rack. I have a car in mind but haven't collected it yet.

• Like 2

John, Have just been to the Rootes heritage trust at Banbury to talk about Commer TS3 TS4 engines and in their magazine is a subject of the V8 twin imp engine developed ,

Lent the mag to a friend when its back I will scan a copy to wet your appetite Ha

my fisrt new car was a 68 super imp, it flew, she would pull till the rev counter needle bit the 7k stop and the speedo ran out of readings and she was still pulling

amazing little machine

as used in the commer van version I was in charge of the aprrentice school engine and gearbox sectional display for the commercial show, its still around the imp club had it at nec couple of years ago, I let them know of the two they had one was

from sunny luton , not linwood or coventry

pete

pete

Pete that's very kind of you. I'd love to have a read. I too had an Imp; new in 1967. Like you i really enjoyed it. Such a willing little engine.

Darren, when I said "Car" perhaps that was a bit strong. Boxes of bits might have been a bit more accurate. it is in Nottingham so a bit of a logistical nightmare to get it but I do have a plan. A few photos attached which show no shortage of engines and heads. Always good to have a few spares :) The current owner has had the car for twenty five years, bought in pieces and still in pieces. as far as i know the main bits are there but even the owner cannot guarantee that nothing is missing. As soon as he has the new updated V5C I'll go up for it.med_gallery_67_84_49670.jpgmed_gallery_67_84_43687.jpgmed_gallery_67_84_97962.jpgmed_gallery_67_84_59728.jpgmed_gallery_67_84_120524.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi John

I bought a copy as soon as it came out, and it is a good article. Imps were great fun, as long as they held together, but I remember a lot of issues with warping heads back in the day, and I think Rootes eventually changed the block design to try and improve matters. To be fair, the engine was more sinned against than sinning, as a lot of local garage mechanics back then were unfamiliar with all-alloy engines and torque wrenches, and they don't take ham-fisted treatment. In the right hands though, they can be made to go like a bat out of hell!

The G15 is a neat little car, but I also have a soft spot for the Clan Crusader, which was a really neat design among the many imp derivatives.

Good luck with the new project, and I am glad you are keeping the GT4 after all that hard work.

Regards

Steve C

Hi John

I bought a copy as soon as it came out, and it is a good article. Imps were great fun, as long as they held together, but I remember a lot of issues with warping heads back in the day, and I think Rootes eventually changed the block design to try and improve matters. To be fair, the engine was more sinned against than sinning, as a lot of local garage mechanics back then were unfamiliar with all-alloy engines and torque wrenches, and they don't take ham-fisted treatment. In the right hands though, they can be made to go like a bat out of hell!

The G15 is a neat little car, but I also have a soft spot for the Clan Crusader, which was a really neat design among the many imp derivatives.

Good luck with the new project, and I am glad you are keeping the GT4 after all that hard work.

Regards

Steve C

Thank you Steve and good to hear from you. Yes I thought it was a good article very well written. True there were one or two glaring errors but considering he took no notes he did amazingly well.

I've made a start on the G15 and am at present tackling the rust issues on the chassis. And I'm delighted to see that the project will fit very nicely into the new category that Kevin has just included.  :)