GT6 reverse selection

Mike T

Hi

I have just purchased a Mk3 GT6 fitted with an overdrive gearbox. The previous owner fitted this box as originally the car was non-overdrive. There were several issues with gear selection due to the amount of play in the linkage and so I fitted a new bush kit. This has tightened everything up but hasn't solved the problem of there being no block on selection of reverse. When you go to select first it is very easy to go into reverese.

I know there should be some sort of block to prevent this and now I have fitted the new bush kit at least there is the abitlity to push down on the gear lever but I can't work out what should restrict selection of reverese. It is clear from the Haynes workshop manual.

Can anyone help.

Mike

Hi,

There is a pin on the gearlever and a plate on the extension. In order to move the lever across far enough to engage reverse it needs to be pushed down to allow the pin to slip under the plate. 

Maybe either the pin or the plate are missing from your lever or extension. See picture. 

reverse_zpsjblfk3ti.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the picture. Looks just like mine but I have no pin. The plate is in place so I understand how it works now.

I've checked various suppliers and all are listing it as no longer available. Does any one know where I could source one or is there a way to improvise one?

Thanks

Mike

Don't forget that it should be adjustable. 

Casper,

Just checked the manual, it's not a pin, it's actually threaded with a lock nut, the manual even shows how to adjust.

Easy fix then, just cut down a bolt of the right thread and add a lock nut...

post-22-0-29769100-1468273919_thumb.jpg