Poor quality gear selector bushing kit

Waynebaby

Hi All,

I've had to take my GT6 Mk3 remote gear linkage apart again after it developed terminal vagueness less than 15 months and 1500 miles after renewing the linkage bushes with a kit from a generally well regarded supplier. The plastic "bearing" which sits beneath the metal dome had become brittle to the point where it split in two, allowing the larger of the two springs to poke through. Has anybody else had this kind of problem?

Wayne

post-995-0-96695300-1468313112_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have seen on many kits the replacement metal spherical cup is cropped with a razor sharp rough periphery ,

best to chuck it away as this will mince the plastic parts , so its use the old or fettle it smooth but dont fit as supplied 

or death is just a few changes away .

Pete

Thanks Pete. I'll do a bit of fettling once the new parts arrive because whilst I'm sure I kept the old serviceable parts from the last re-bushing exercise I've completely forgotten where I put them (I think I was a squirrel in a previous existence)

Wayne

I Have had similar problems with my old Vitesse and fitted 3 of these Kits between getting it back on the Road in 2006 and selling it in 2015?

During this time the first one fitted during the Restoration lasted around 10,000 Miles, the last two around 1,000 miles each!

There is obviously a problem with the grade of the main Nylon Ball, this was the item that failed every time on my car allowing the Springs to poke through and the lever to go all loose.

I did as suggested by Pete make sure the Spherical cover was smooth, this didn't make any difference I'm afraid. 

The nylon certainly looks of poor quality. It's gone brittle as if it has been left out in the sun for a couple of years and the pressure of the spring has eventually pushed through the material. I hope the next one lasts a bit longer because I for one find the whole rigmarole of getting the transmission tunnel in and out for such a daft little job to be a right chore.

Wayne 

The nylon certainly looks of poor quality. It's gone brittle as if it has been left out in the sun for a couple of years and the pressure of the spring has eventually pushed through the material. I hope the next one lasts a bit longer because I for one find the whole rigmarole of getting the transmission tunnel in and out for such a daft little job to be a right chore.

Wayne 

I know what you mean about the Tunnel removal, it's a right pain in the A**E!

A Scottish guy on the Vitesse Facebook forum made up a removable top portion of the Tunnel to save undoing all the self tappers and ease access to the remote mechanism?

Seems like an excellent idea to me.

• 1 month later...

do check the top spherical washer these are often rough edged and razor sharp, this digs into the plastic jams it up and shatters the disc

always stick to using the old original cup if possible,

the lower main spherical have their problems as well   we need someone to may a metal one 

Pete