gearbox saga

david lewis

hi all   ,bought a s/hand g/box to fit my 13/60--mainshaft flange wrong i.e square so will not fit round flange on my propshaft nor will the  box i bought to fit the  propshaft  which came without a flange so i bought a round flange   but its too small to fit the mainshaft   on the second g/box so i am totally confused.

when did they change the mainshaft size ?

the identification numbers on the boxes have been overstamped and more or less illegible so no help there.

sorrry if this is a confused post /

help

Not aware that on the normal 3 rail boxes that the mainshaft size has ever changed

are these straight 3 rail no overdrive ?

certainly couplings have changed across the model range have a browse at canley classics archive about diff flanges gives some model clues

t

one of the boxes is a early 3syncro which has a smaller rear shaft while the other one is a later box with a reversing light switch under the rear extension and has a larger rear shaft so the round flange i bought is too small to fit onto the shaft but it fits the prop flange and fits the early box.  sorry if i am not making myself clear pete but i do not know how to descrbe the difference in any other way.   .both boxes are non o/d/

cheers

David  as far as i know  ( Hmmm)  all 948/1200/1360  3 rail 3 synchro  boxes use the same mainshaft   204679  and  square flange 109050

all 4 synchro 3 rail use mainshaft  TKC533 and round coupling 155755

you may need to strip  or remove the top cover of the box to find just you have bought

eg MKlV spitty had a 3 rail 4 sync  as do    Dollys and others ,  

I wonder if you have been given the wrong coupling flange to part number 

Pete

hi pete,  is the tkc533 shaft bigger than the shaft 204679 ?,this could mean i have bought a 4syncro box.

no use in me taking the top off the box as gearbox internals are the devils work to me and i would not have clue what to look for.i bought the flange s/h .

cheers

hi all ,  i just talked to canleys very helpful gearbox expert and he informed me that not only were there two sizes of mainshaft there are also different shapes some with coarse splines (approx 6 splines )and others with fine splines ( approx double the coarse splines no ) and to add even more to the mix john kipping who supplied the box in my car at the moment used a machined propshaft flange on some of his gearboxes,

it looks like the second box i have obtained is a late 4syncro job so i will have to try various flanges till i find one to fit.

i will try to take accurate measurements and shaft type in the hope someone has one to fit.

aint life fun !!

the  6 cut spline or finer rolled spline to me is the input shaft not the mainshaft  and is a mix of later dolly shafts to take the dolly clutch disc.  and possible will have the 18mm dia mainshaft spigot which is a good upgrade, has no effect on output spilines on the mainshaft,   

a 4 sychro box makes life and gear selection easier and a lot less whining , also later have better tooth profile for quieter running

if you need it checked out  and fancy a tootle up to sunny luton  over a cuppa let me know 

Pete

thanks pete,i might take you up on your offer.

the shaft  and flange i have been talking about is the shaft that comes  out of the rear of the gearbox extension---is this not part of the mainshaft ? ,perhaps i have been describing it wrongly.

cheers

Yes thats mainshaft these all have cut splines only input( stem wheel) shafts have a variety of splines

depends on age and model as there are cut or later rolled splines

Never found the mainshaft with rolled (fine) splines, im pretty sure the coupling you have purchased is

not from one of you family of boxes

pete