Will a magnetic drain plug fit in filling plug hole

daverclasper

Dave, the magnetic plug should be fitted in place of the drain plug. Can I point out that you have a golden opportunity to measure up and install an access plate in the tunnel for the filler plug? A small amount of extra work now will save a load of grief in the future!

Dave.

If you are intending to fit the magnetic plug, I would personally drain the old oil - even if it has limited mileage. This gives the magnetic plug a fresh oil base to start doing its work. Needless to say when that drain plug is out you can then measure the gap between the plug end & the g/box internals. 

I think you will find there is plenty of space; but like you I would still want to check for my own peace of mind !!

Out of interest where did you purchase the item ??

Good tip re the g/box tunnel modification - well worth doing. The hole can be plugged with one of those large Herald floor grommets.

Good luck.

Richard

I would say its only going to be effective at the bottom in the drain hole as the particles will sink to the bottom. The oil at standstill will only be touching the edge of the plug and not the magnet, only when drving will it slosh over it but out doubt it will catch anything. If your quick you can swap the plug over without loosing a lot of oil and just top it back up, but if it hasn't been changed in a while then I would just drain it.

And if you ever get a diff case without a drain hole, off the car, get it drilled and tapped.

Can't recall the correct, or rather the plug, thread, but it's a BNP (British National Pipe) thread, not yer usual. Thread is coarse, and the conical plug achieves a seal by interference - it gets so tight it can't leak.

John, in Rio