GT6 MK3 flamethrower coil and distributor wiring help!?

jimmyrjm

Hi Jim

van you advise what the fitting issue was with the condenser? was it too long to fit in the original position? I'm planning to purchase one as a spare to my electronic ignition as has been suggested by many but want to avoid fitting issues if at all possible

Thx

Aidan

Hi Aidan, 

It was the thickness of the condenser that was the problem with mine, length was fine. The bracket used to fix the condenser in place was hitting the cam in the distributor. So I had to make a new bracket to get it to fit. I got mine off eBay and was advertised as a Triumph GT6 MK3 condenser but didn't fit right out the box.

Regards,

Jim.

Thanks both

Pete yes it's for a backup and as you say if it's bad weather I want to be able to swap out without fuss I found a NOS one here

http://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/vauxhall-triumph-nos-delco-condenser-see-list-below-131305356.htm

but was not sure if it's right as it looks quite chubby !!

Aidan

Thanks both

Pete yes it's for a backup and as you say if it's bad weather I want to be able to swap out without fuss I found a NOS one here

http://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/vauxhall-triumph-nos-delco-condenser-see-list-below-131305356.htm

but was not sure if it's right as it looks quite chubby !!

Aidan

Does look a bit chubby Aidan but could fit...

Regards,

Jim.

Morning chaps, 

Great thread by the way!  I want to have a 'spare' condenser etc in case my electronic unit fails as previously discussed.  I brought the car with an electronic unit (Lumination) so have no idea what i would need in regards to the back up original items.  The car is a Vitesse Mk1 with a 2500TC engine (Lucas Dizzy).  Im thinking a condenser and points will suffice?  Im happy to get into the maintenance book and find out where they actually go in relation to the dizzy but just need advice on what i actually need to take off the electronic and replace with original points etc.

Kind regards

Rich

the points and condenser are dedicated to the actual distibutor make and model 

but if this is as 2500 then its prossibly a lucas 45D6  ,

( model numbers are stamped in the lower dizzy casing )   this takes lucas  CS8 (54423769) points which has the clip in leads and felt oiler 

single screw fitting into a original tapped hole on the top plate   sorry dont have the lucas condenser part number 

club shop sell all as seperates,  ( no idea if the condenser will fit without a foul )

Pete

I will do as you guys have suggested and get back to you probably tomorrow, once I have got the right TDC. also just curious would the wrong configuration of the spark plug leads and it not being at TDC be a reason for the engine to not start up.

Kind regards,

Jim.

Make sure that the distributor isn't fitted 180 degrees out; this would account for the engine not being at TDC (how far off is it? - leads fitted to one terminal in front or behind their proper place on the cap will also put it way off the mark, even though it may still run) plus the vacuum unit pointing in the wrong direction may indicate the dizzy body is turned right round to compensate....

Make sure that the distributor isn't fitted 180 degrees out; this would account for the engine not being at TDC (how far off is it? - leads fitted to one terminal in front or behind their proper place on the cap will also put it way off the mark, even though it may still run) plus the vacuum unit pointing in the wrong direction may indicate the dizzy body is turned right round to compensate....

Hi Colin,

We discovered this was the case with the distributor and we tried to turn the bottom of the distributor with pliers and a pin. However he engine wouldn't run when the distributor was round the right way which confused me. The previous over did an engine rebuild and must have set the distributor 180 degrees out. But at the moment the engine sounds great and is at TDC so I'm happy to leave it if you guys agree?

Regards,

Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes these control the curve of the amount of advance at predetermined rpm. With out the advance

mechanism it will be very very flat,

unless you have programable dizzy the aftermarket electronics are purely to replace the old mechanical

points switch with an electronic semiconductor switch, nothing else changes

the centrifugal weights and vac unit all form the specification of the advance and economy settings

amd must remain.

pete

• 3 weeks later...