rasping / grating Noise after rebuild

Adrian

Hello all

I've fully re-bushed, refurbed my rear suspension and drive train with the Jigsaw CV conversion. As per guidance I've got approx. 1mm on the wheel for the end float (no shims required) and used existing bearings as they were sound. I noted a noise (rasping / grating)  only during part rotation of the hub, I thought it was the brakes needing seating so I took it out for a spin and it proved to be persistent but reduced when I went around a corner.  Any Ideas? 

Also I know this is drive train thread but to save lots of posts, never having bled brakes before (I think they are a bit too spongy) how much fluid does the system hold, I used approximately 500ml?

Many thanks

Adrian.

When you rotated the hub did you have the wheel on and did this occur when rotating backward as well as forward. If yes, I will enlarge if not I will save my typing.

With regard to the brake system you are probably not far out with the quantity. Of course it all depends how much you want to keep flushing brake fluid through until you are happy with the pedal; so you may well use more than 500ml !!

I've mentioned it on another thread, but after you have bleed the brakes and are happy with the pedal get a piece of wood or similar and jam the pedal fully down for 24hrs. This will help to expel any micro bubbles left in the fluid. This also applies to the clutch hydraulics.

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks for the replies so far. I've jacked up the back end and spun the wheels both ways. The right one didn't have an obvious grate during the rebuild anyway and seems fine. The left, I had to back off the adjuster to remove the drum, had a look inside and all seems well, possibly a bit of drum rub on the backplate but no real scoring. When put back together, no grating when spun although I haven't readjusted the brake yet. I think I'll go back out in it and give it a try.

Richard, thanks, I've read about the 24 hrs full pressure wasn't sure if it was valid but I'll give it a go.

Just thinking about the bearing issue. The new cv shafts had the spacers on and no other shims as it was originally with the rotoflex. As I've said I have about 1mm at the wheel. Just to further my knowledge when shimming, does the shim close up the play on the bearing or does it increase it? When I took it out again I noted that when going around a corner it reduced/stopped. Any further info?

• 2 months later...

Gents, just as an update on the rasping noise.  I'm in the process of renewing a suspect bearing and whilst off I noticed that the inner CV boot clamp was rubbing on the top of the chassis. As I has the CV conversion from Jigsaw I haver asked them for a solution. It certainly seems to be the most likely solution. 

Cheers

Adrian

post-1605-0-13918500-1476816659_thumb.jpg