Gearbox Suddenly Noisy in 1, 2 and 3

Henry Boler

So, tonight's findings...

I managed to get the gearbox out from inside the car. Getting the bellhousing bolts out was hard, and it barely fitted, had to rotate the whole thing to fit through the tunnel!

Got the gearbox apart. Verdict, completely f***ed up beyond any chance of repair!

So the laygear at one end had absolutely no sign of there being any needle bearing, and was burned out and expanded. as was the adjacent layshaft hole in the case. Oh yeah, did I mention the layshaft? Or, rather, layshafts? Yeah, that's right it was in two pieces! And the retaining pin was in the overdrive...

Reverse is a bit worn, but that's about it as far as gear damage goes. The mainshaft tip bearing is intact but has rough marks on the needles...

So I can't decide whether the bearing on the layshaft jammed and made it break or whether it broke and then ruined the bearing... Also I'm amazed at the lack of incredibly loud noises too...

On a plus side, I have what I believe is a 2000 vitesse gearbox in very good condition, but it's non overdrive, so I've taken it to bits and will build one out of all the best bits (story of my life!) I guess.

Henry

Yikes......... ive done many a gearbox and not seen one quite that destructive to the spindle

one little thing to change in swaping the mainshaft  is the small flat sprung circlip anti rattle thingy fits in a shallow groove halfway down behind the rear main brg,   part No 513223    it often get thrown out with the old shaft

will you be stripping the OD to look for debris ???

Pete

• 1 month later...