Under felt wheel arch fitting?

jimmyrjm

Hi guys,

I need some help clarifying the fitment of the under felt carpet that I bought for my Triumph GT6 MK3, it doesn't seem to fit right no matter what position I place it in. I have attached some pics. If anyone can advice me where I'm going wrong that would be helpful.

Regards,

Jim.

post-1788-0-20794200-1471882061_thumb.jpg

post-1788-0-92286700-1471882064_thumb.jpg

post-1788-0-48061900-1471882069_thumb.jpg

post-1788-0-55043900-1471882076_thumb.jpg

Jim,

I had exactly the same problem when I did mine.

In the end I tried to place it to the best position I could. Then I took a carpet knife and a large, sharp pair of scissors and a marker pen. I marked triangular sections on the underfelt and cut the sections out which meant that the felt could then be shaped to fit, and glued down.

I don't know if this is the correct way but it was all I could think of and it worked!

I've attached a photo.

Good Luck,

Dave

post-116-0-99088400-1471883323_thumb.jpg

That's the problem in trying to fit a flat cut-out onto a curved section! You have to do a Mercator-like slicing and remove the excess as you go. The last one I did I just had to pick an almost flat bit, glue the felt to it, and when it now longer slid about, heat, stretch and manhandle into shape a small bit at a time.

A Ha   how about making a wooden hat block and steaming it  pressed   

well Luton used to make hats,   and ((( cars, trucks, ball bearings,, steering gear, and more hats ))

to make a flat fit a curved you need to watch more Blue Peter 

a can of spray carpet adhesive helps ,, at least the fumes keep you 'happy'    environ  friendly  solvent  free impact adhesive doesnt seem to stick anything ,    use spray  or the toffee sticky  solvent based old fashioned stuff which has some life in it. 

Pete

A Ha how about making a wooden hat block and steaming it pressed

well Luton used to make hats, and ((( cars, trucks, ball bearings,, steering gear, and more hats ))

to make a flat fit a curved you need to watch more Blue Peter

a can of spray carpet adhesive helps ,, at least the fumes keep you 'happy' environ friendly solvent free impact adhesive doesnt seem to stick anything , use spray or the toffee sticky solvent based old fashioned stuff which has some life in it.

Pete

Got them in now had to cut out quite a bit to make them fit

Jim.

post-1788-0-15800300-1472030857_thumb.jpeg

Well done Jim,

the good thing is because it's the underfelt it doesn't matter too much if you make the odd mistake or two; you can always cut and glue a piece to fit a slight gap.

Thanks Dave, Still need to do some work on them to shape them a bit better, and yes thats a good idea...

Jim.

Tried fitting the new carpet on top of the underfelt, and although I'm fairly easy with the outcome It was very difficult to do and left some lines in the carpet and has pull the underfelt away from the wheel arch a bit where I had to keep pulling it off to position it right again. has anyone got any advice on the best way to apply the carpet to the underfelt using carpet adhesive?

Regards,

James.

Any large bumps in the underfelt are likely to show through the carpet.

Your picture shows some bumps/ridges on the front/top of the wheel arch I suspect you need to get rid of those, or at least the biggest ones. You can probably do that by cutting along the length of them which will alllow them to lie flat. You will probably then have a slight overlap which you will need to trim off.

Contact adhesive can stay tacky for a long time. If it's coming off it's either still tacky or not strong enough.

The best adhesive I have found is a high temperature contact adhesive which I bought online from Car Builder Solutions (a kit car website). It's a thick, toffee-like liquid rather than an aerosol and you apply it with a plastic spatula and spread it around.

It will also send you high as a kite in no time so a well ventilated area is important.

I've also used Evostick aerosol which was ok but not in the same league as the toffee stuff. I

I've been trying to upload a photo without much success....

Hi guys thanks for the responses. 

Yes the contact adhesive I've been using grabs hold of the under felt instantly and dries quite quickly and doesn't allow and movement when placed on a small bit of under felt which results in me constantly taking it off and repositioning. I will have a look at what you guys suggested.

Regards,

Jim.