Vitesse bonnet lock

Knappitt

Hi all,

I have just started work on my grandads Vitesse, but have fallen at the first hurdle, I cannot get the bonnet to open! I have turned the lock but the lever on the passengers side will not lift. Is there anyway I can still get it open?

Thanks in advance,

Jakob

i guess this has the hopeless aftermarket key lock to restrict the cam lever lock from opening,  generally a really good tug on the lever will bend the offending nasty metal plate that blocks movement

one other way is pull the bonnet forwards or backwards so the lever cam lock hook falls out the ends of the striker latch hook on the baulkhead,  needs about 1/2" to disengage ,  sounds a bit rough but it can work 

Pete

• 1 month later...

hello everyone, can anyone recommend a type or make of lock to fit on my vitesse bonnet please?                                                                                                                 thanks                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Rob

hi Steve,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  thanks for info on bonnet locks. i'll give them a try. Chap that's restoring my Vitesse keeps getting ideas by looking at pictures of other cars and wants to put everything into mine. he's doing a brilliant job but i'm thinking of stopping him looking at said pictures otherwise i might have to fit a v12 engine to move the extra weight.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Thanks again,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Rob

Rob.

The item Steve has flagged is the same unit I am using on my Mk2 Vitesse and it does an excellent job. Agreed, it will not stop a gorilla opening the bonnet but as an effective visual and physical deterrent it does the trick. In addition if your bonnet hinge locks are a slightly worn it will keep them from popping open.

There was another thread recently about bonnet locks and I mentioned a couple of lines on there.

All the best.

Richard.

Hi Richard,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     the bonnet locks are new (pinched from my other Vitesse that wife is trying to claim as hers)          

but it's good to know that they are proving to be okay at what they're supposed to be doing. Its definately something that i'm going to put on my car. 

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Rob