** 26/02/23 Heading Up ** Probably how not to restore a Herald!

Colin, it’s brave man who admits his nuts are of unequal size on the worldwide web!

Checked the rebuilt hub and the axle protrudes to just beyond level with the nyloc insert, so pretty comfortable that the nylon part is doing what it should be.

Karl

59 minutes ago, Bordfunker said:

Colin, it’s brave man who admits his nuts are of unequal size on the worldwide web!

And posts a photo!

cue the limerick:

"there was a young man of Devizes

whose balls were of different sizes

one was so small

It was no ball at all

but the other one won several prizes."

Hi Karl

Have you thought about taking the axle to your nearest Steam Train restorers. A lot of those groups have some serious machinery and several old boys who will have dealt with harder jobs than this in the past.

Adrian

Colin, I don’t know why I didn’t think of doing that before!

Adrian, I think it’s time to get brutal now, and so I will be cutting, very carefully, the old hub off.

Not ideal, but I have replacement hub ready to go, so the old one will be sacrificed on the alter of progress.

Karl

Pete, I'm not sure you are that far from the truth to be fair, as I have been cutting the hub away, a bit at a time and grinding it down, particularly around the keyway as I reasoned that was the weakest part of the hub.

All of which has left me with this.

zGuH7o.jpg

You can see the keyway, and I was able to tap out the Woodruff key, but there is no discernible joint that I can currently see between the hub and the driveshaft.

This is where I left it today, but hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow to try and get the remains of the hub off the driveshaft, though time will tell if the driveshaft itself remains salvageable.

As you can see, I did manage to get the oil catcher and back plate off.

85Emne.jpg

Both in need of a thorough clean up and a coat of paint, but at least they are off.

Before I started hacking at the hub I couldn't resist a couple of before and after shots, betwen the two driveshafts and hubs.

Tenu7k.jpg

jrAWVf.jpg

Seeing how good the refurbished assembly looks, provides real encouragement to press on with passenger side ensemble from Hell.

Karl

Pete, I'm not sure I'll be putting sufficient load on my studs to tax them any time soon, but maybe something to address before the wheels go back on.

This afternoon was back to the grind, quite literally, attacking the remains of the hub on the passenger side driveshaft.

The aim had been to remove the hub, leaving the driveshaft untouched, however that just didn't work out, and by the time the remains of the hub finally fell off the shaft, the shaft looked like this.....

dtVm31.jpg

At this point I was feeling pretty foollish having trashed a potentially good driveshaft, however a closer inspection of the area where the needle bearing ran......

VXxzUJ.jpg

....showed a pronounced lip, so even if the hub had come off the shaft itself would have been scrap anyway.

Not feeling quite so guilty now.

With that out of the way, I was able to strip the hub itself down and take a look at the two bearings.

7mbNeR.jpg

The needle bearing is good to go back in, but the larger roller bearing is toast as it makes a lovely grinding noise as it rotates, whether that is as a result of my efforts to remove the hub, or it was on the way out already, I don't know, but it's history now.

The list of parts getting re-used keeps shrinking, but those that were left, got a session in the blast cabinet, leaving me with this lot.

4nQJmQ.jpg

iuIVMt.jpg

Which was rapidly followed by a coat of rust stopper.

J2u6B3.jpg

Note the new hub also getting in on the act.

So overall, a somewhat destructive weekend, but it does now feel like progress after weeks of trying to get that bloody hub off.

Mathew, if you are still looking to offload that driveshaft, I will gladly take it off your hands. PM me and let me know what you want for it.

Karl

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

And know idea why and without  checking but im sure the needle cage has a way round  

Pete

Yes my books say press on lettered end, both ends look the same to me, so perhaps it is to stop people asking which way around.

If the shaft is damaged where the needle rollers run personally I would assume the needle rollers are damaged.

Regards

Paul

Decided that I’ll buy the replacement bearings from the club which include seals and hub nut, and which are bearings from decent manufacturers.

When I rebuilt the driver’s side hub, the needle bearing didn’t have any lettering at all on it, so the WSM was no help at all!

Karl

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the lack of updates over the last few weeks I haven't been entirely idle, mostly, but not completely.

Last week I did manage to get the driver's side driveshaft back together, including the UJ and flange to the diff, which took an absolute age as I kept dropping the UJ bearing cups, spilling the needle bearings all over the place, and having to firstly find them, then clean them, before reassembling in the bearing cup.

I lost track of the times I did that before I discovered that rather than assembling the UJs with the driveshaft horizontal in the vice, mounting it upright made reassembly much easier, and stopped me dropping the bearings again.

That was last week, this week, given the weather, I didn't fancy pushing the rear tub on it's dolly out into the drive, so decided to work on the propshaft.

Yes I know, more bloody UJs!

Some of my troubles with disassembling the UJs was down to the ancient pair of straight jawed Mole grips that I'd been using, which did a somewhat half arsed job of gripping the circular bearing cap, so I went and bought these from ScrewFix.

atXNXS.jpg

Instantly improved grip, and the first bearing cap came out of the yoke nice and cleanly with the aid of the new Mole grips.

WrDObX.jpg

However as you can see from the photo above, the condition inside the UJ bearing was actually quite poor, with very little grease, and what there was, was a dark brown colour, either due to age, rust, or both.

1tEFMB.jpg

JsgiFX.jpg

At the base of each bearing cap was, what looked like the remains of a fibre washer, which disintegrated as I removed them, which would explain the rust.

Given the state of the UJ, I am inclined to replace it as a matter of course as it doesn't look to have received any TLC for a long time.

This did at leave me with one end of the propshaft ready for clean up next weekend.

FGkFTT.jpg

Turning my attention to the other end of the propshaft I discovered even worse, with the UJ at that end showing practically no signs of lubrication or maintenance.

7Rka9X.jpg

This was as I found it! God only knows how long it had been like this.

When I tried to press the bearing cup and UJ, this happened on the other side!!!

JLiBGW.jpg

Which quickly turned into this.

jrYMpm.jpg

Again, another poorly lubricated and rusty UJ bearing, so I think this one will get replaced as well, just to be on the safe side.

Not bothered by the state of the UJs, as they are cheap enough, and I'll add these to my order to the club for the bearings etc, but that is likely to be next month by the time I have cleaned everything up and re-painted, so no rush.

Karl