** 26/02/23 Heading Up ** Probably how not to restore a Herald!

Happy enough to take the blame for you buying a decent welding helmet.😉
I am still amazed at the difference the Lincoln makes, now the bad welding is truly my fault.
Modifying my workshop shelving I ran out of mig gas over easter so decided to have a go with the tig, its a whole new game.
Looking forward to more work with the tig.

Adrian

Adrian, I am amazed at the difference the new mask makes. It’s not just the larger field of view, so you’re not peering through a letterbox, but the clarity of the view, particularly at the arc.

It makes it much easier to control the weld, because you can actually see what’s going on.

Colin, like you need an excuse to spend money on tools!

I meant to say in my last post that the repair panels came from Rimmer’s, who were actually very competitive on price on these.

Matt, like you I never throw anything away, and have a box of all the odd bits of steel that I have cut off the car over time.

Could just do with a spare body shell to pick parts off at times.

Karl

2 minutes ago, PeteH said:

My Auto Helmet is periodicaly malfunctioning, despite a new battery. Do you care to frighten me with the ball park cost of what looks like a very nice helmet? Or who makes/Supplies them?.

Pete

Pete, it’s a Lincoln Electric Viking, from Rapid Welding see link below:

https://www.rapidwelding.com/dynamic/Category.aspx?c=LINCOLN-WELDING-HELMETS&o=0&zl=2&sq=17

It was a 50th birthday present, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to justify that sort of money.

Having said that, it is million miles from my old one, and I haven’t really tried playing with the settings yet, and given the amount of welding still to be done, is probably a good investment long term.

Karl

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bordfunker said:

Pete, it’s a Lincoln Electric Viking, from Rapid Welding see link below:

https://www.rapidwelding.com/dynamic/Category.aspx?c=LINCOLN-WELDING-HELMETS&o=0&zl=2&sq=17

It was a 50th birthday present, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to justify that sort of money.

Having said that, it is million miles from my old one, and I haven’t really tried playing with the settings yet, and given the amount of welding still to be done, is probably a good investment long term.

Karl

Ouch!. That would need some serious groveling!.

Pete

4 hours ago, ahebron said:

Mine was paid for from weeks overtime.
80 hour weeks have some benefits.

Overtime?😁. What`s that?😅. Don`t get it on my pension, sadly,😢. But I know what you mean. Problem being I was "salaried", and overtime was free as far as the organistion was concerned, 4hrs or 16 hrs made no difference.

Hence the need for serious groveling, I`ll just have to start dropping the sort of brick-like hints that often accompany "new" items of ladies clothing!. What would work? Saving my Eyesight? H&S?. Bribery?. Breakfast in bed?. (just as well I`m late 70`s or she would be thinking about the new barmaid in the pub!!)

Pete

Pete, far be it from me to tell you how to spend your money, on shall we say your other hobbies, e.g. cross dressing, but maybe fewer dresses for the weekend and a new welding helmet would be money well spent!

Or have I misunderstood you?

I don’t get overtime either, but at least I’ve had a year of working from home, and not paying exorbitant sums for the ‘privilege’ of commuting into central London.

Karl

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bordfunker said:

and not paying exorbitant sums for the ‘privilege’ of commuting into central London.

My youngest, used to say it cost 4K per year for his season ticket, and that was 20? years ago, when he worked in the home office. He now lives and works (I-T) from a Thames Barge, on the Kennet and Avon canal!.

Cross Dressing, does nothing for your security clearance, Unless your J Edward Hoover of course!😀.

Pete

Pete, I wish it were still £4K a year!

Like your son I work in IT, and changed companies 2 weeks before lockdown commenced last year, so have spent a grand total of 8 days in the office since joining the company!

Not a big deal as my team are scattered over the Southern Hemisphere, from Australia to Africa, and South America, so not like I would be bumping into them in the office anyway.

Now the company are looking to reduce time in the office to 2-3 days a week tops, so even when we go back I should see a reduction in commuting costs.

And I was under the impression that sexual proclivities were a prerequisite of obtaining security clearance!

Karl

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bordfunker said:

Pete, far be it from me to tell you how to spend your money, on shall we say your other hobbies, e.g. cross dressing, but maybe fewer dresses for the weekend and a new welding helmet would be money well spent!

Or have I misunderstood you?

I don’t get overtime either, but at least I’ve had a year of working from home, and not paying exorbitant sums for the ‘privilege’ of commuting into central London.

Karl

I think you have been spending to much time on the "other sites" mentioned on the forum Karl :)  Don't worry Pete, Karl is excited about having a new Helmet......

Tony. 

(Allegedly) True story. Some weeks before the Falklands Kicked off. There where NO ladies tights in the larger sizes to be bought, in and around Hereford. Large Burly men where buying them.

Pete

9 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Excellent thermal qualities but they make all of the hairs on your legs go the wrong way.

And how would you know that Colin?

20 hours ago, poppyman said:

I think you have been spending to much time on the "other sites" mentioned on the forum Karl :)  Don't worry Pete, Karl is excited about having a new Helmet......

Tony. 

So excited that I keep polishing it! ;)

10 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That is NOT the same guy....

1712483555_ScreenShot2021-04-08at09_13_24.png.9681316659de0ea33d332190b1718bf0.png

I don’t think he’s a guy anymore.

I once had to explain this to a colleague of mine after a meeting with our IBM account team, one of whom had recently had the op.

He just couldn’t get his head around the fact that someone would have their Crown Jewels removed, and spent the afternoon just saying over and over again, ‘Why would you do?’.

Karl

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Excellent thermal qualities but they make all of the hairs on your legs go the wrong way.

Winter, up the North Cape, and or the (Northern) North Sea. Can be equally cold, Several pairs, layered, of SWMBO`s "rejects", where pressed into service on more that one occasion, when working out on open decks. (re-cycling in action?)

Pete

Just when you thought it was safe to back in the garage, and maybe even open the garage door, it starts snowing again!

Although I have been off this week, I haven't been able to devote my whole week to the Herald, instead having to drive to Cornwall on Wednesday to pick up an Ercol sofa that Mrs B had managed to score on E-bay. If nothing more it was a nice day out, and good road trip, probably the first since 2019.

I have also made a start on sorting out the downstairs loo after last year's leaky waste pipe incident, which has all meant only a couple of afternoons in the garage this week.

However I have made the most of it, and continued work on the replacement boot floor corner, and boot side corner panel, starting to getting the homemade floor repair panel prepped for welding.

Which first meant drilling out the holes for the plug welds which hold the boot floor to the reinforcing panel,  which meant making a template first given the odd shape of the reinforcing panel to make sure I got the holes in the right place.

pnX1OwF6j

Looks like a poor attempt at a Picasso, but did allow me to put the holes where they needed to be.

pm9h983Lj

Well, all bar two, which I put in the wrong place, so had to weld them up on a copper block.

pobgugusj

A quick flashover with the grinder left me with this.

pmisXOFFj

Nothing for it now, but to give everything a quick coat of weld through zinc primer, and then set everything up for welding, starting with the obligatory tack welds.

pnbLwxGxj

All of which was then seam welded, leaving me with a new, and solid driver's side boot corner.

pn9cZkTej

pnqsINiXj

pnsY2KfSj

At this point it became clear that the boot side repair panel didn't quite match the profile of the boot floor, probably as a result of a combination of my repairs to the boot floor itself, and the repair panel being a pattern, rather than original part.

pnFesKw6j

Either way, it needed to be fixed, which meant making some amendments to the repair panel to better allow the joining flange to mate properly with the edge of the boot floor.

pmXlkey7j

pmzGA5k1j

Above is the area to the side of the car, but the section at the rear where it curves up to the boot floor also needed the same attention.

pnG5y92yj

po6oEtEOj

It all looks a bit crude, but will all be welded up in due course.

I also took a small slice out of the front of the repair panel  where it meets the rear of the arch, as it was a fraction too long in the flange.

pm1SPevgj

All of which meant it was time to break out the welder again and start attaching the boot side panel permanently.

pmyIaTe3j

My plug welds still look more like rivets on the Queen Mary, but at least I know they strong, and they will get sorted later.

This is the side of the panel, where I made the cuts to allow the flange to conform over the boot floor as it rises from the mounting points. You can see how the flange sits a few mm lower than the side of the panel itself.

pofuFHn1j

The gap was closed up by pressing the handle of a hammer against the panel, while tack welding to hold it all in place, before applying a couple of weld beads.

poAWCRbJj

The section at the rear of the car got the same treatment.

poDOvPWKj

The flange on the repair panel is quite narrow here, leading to it blowing through the punched holes that I had made for plug welding, all of which meant some messy looking welding.

The welds inside the boot got the same treatment, which meant sitting in the boot of the upturned tub welding a myriad of plug welds, while occasionally setting fire to the remains of the sound deadening material in the boot!

pmZH0lhwj

You can see the soot marks from my mini conflagrations!

Everything then got a clean up with a flap disc in the angle grinder, including the old over rider support tube, before getting it set up for re-attaching.

pozwgTIyj

Luckily I had a section of wooden dowel that was a tight push fit to the support tube, and the remaining section in the boot reinforcing panel, allowing me to get the alignment spot on before firing up the welder.

And that pretty much saw the welding on the driver's side of the tub pretty much done. There are a few little bits which I will need to revisit, like the boot lip corner, which needs a tidy up with a panel beating hammer and dolly, but I'll get around to them when I tackle the passenger side, which just left me to put a coat of etch primer over everything to prevent flash rusting.

pnKmdWwpj

pnnKnbELj

All of that was about 8 hours work over a couple of days, the bulk of which was spent on preparation, getting panels to fit properly, fitting and re-fitting to get it as good as possible before committing to welding.

I still have the passenger side to do, but having done the driver's side, I at least have a clear plan of what to do, and what to look out for, and the tub now feels substantially more solid than it did when I took it off the car.

Karl

• Like 4

• Bordfunker changed the title to **11/04/21 One Down ** Probably how not to restore a Herald!

Karl your progress and workmanship is fantastic I watch it with awe, we are always amazed here in Aus how you in the UK resurrect what we consider basket cases!! 

I brought a 1960 Herald convertible rear tub here several years ago to convert my Mk2 Vitesse the only rust it had was a couple of little holes in the bottom of the rear side wing behind the B post  where the conv hood was stowed probably wet. easily cut out and new steel shaped and welded in, a couple of hours work!l

Have a drink on us!

55 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

I brought a 1960 Herald convertible rear tub here several years ago to convert my Mk2 Vitesse the only rust it had was a couple of little holes in the bottom of the rear side wing behind the B post  where the conv hood was stowed probably wet. easily cut out and new steel shaped and welded in, a couple of hours work!l

I dream about tubs like that. That's what I was expecting when I bought the replacement tub that I've just given up on, for a time... need to recharge the enthusiasm bigstyle.

Karl has made me want to enquire about a metal folder and a few dedicated hammers, so am off to the In-Laws this morning on a scrounging mission. If no-one will do it for me, I'll do it myself, and it's threads like this that keep me going forwards.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Pete, I’ve been working in IT long enough to have a flexible attitude to deadlines. :)

Pete T, you may have rust free cars, but you also have a plethora of wildlife out to kill you!

I work with a bunch of South Africans, and even they don’t want to go to Oz!

Colin, I might be purchasing another metal working tool shortly.......

Karl

• Like 1