** 26/02/23 Heading Up ** Probably how not to restore a Herald!

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I broke a vice once trying to compress something or other; just bought a bigger one (years old, bought second-hand and built like they don't make 'em any more) and now my shoulders give up before the vice does.

You are not using a long enough extension bar on the vice, about twelve foot of scaffolding tube should do it and help your shoulders.

Fallen over roller and broken down end cap, been there done that, also broke a vice think the extension lever was to long.

Regards

Paul

Thanks all, I think you are right re a roller being trapped under the bearing cup, as I now have half a roller, so assuming the other half was under the cup!

I’m not surprised the vice has failed given the abuse it took while trying to remove the passenger side hub from the driveshaft, but looking on the MachineMart site they have some heavier duty ones that I can afford, so may well replace it with one of those.

Karl

44 minutes ago, Bordfunker said:

Thanks all, I think you are right re a roller being trapped under the bearing cup, as I now have half a roller, so assuming the other half was under the cup!

I’m not surprised the vice has failed given the abuse it took while trying to remove the passenger side hub from the driveshaft, but looking on the MachineMart site they have some heavier duty ones that I can afford, so may well replace it with one of those.

Karl

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Record-No-2-bench-vice-old-but-in-great-useable-order/133172438856?hash=item1f01b22748:g:C8QAAOSwUApdfmEo

Go for an old record vice Karl, (loads on fleabay) you wont break one these unless you have a scafolding pole on it like others have. Mine is over 50yrs old and still going strong even after years of "professional" abuse  :) You might find the machine mart ones are "chinese cheese"?

Tony.

10 minutes ago, Bordfunker said:

Tony, that’s a good point, given my experience with ‘chineseum’ bearing splitter!

Thanks for the link, as I’m a bit stuck without a vice.

Karl

If you go on "best match" on fleabay, you might find one down the road from you and you can pop round and collect it :) 

Tony.

1 hour ago, Bordfunker said:

I won!

Another rusty piece of metal to clean up before I can use it, which will in turn allow me to clean multiple other pieces of rusty metal for eventual reuse.

Tony, thanks for the direct.

Karl

Nice one Karl, i doubt very much if you will break that one?? Good price as well. Will it go though your letterbox Though :) 

Tony,

Talking of vices, mine’s tall busty brunettes!

Who said the 70’s were dead!

Should have the Record 3 on Wednesday, all 11Kg of it!

Which definitely will not go through the letterbox. Better warn Mrs B as I’ll be in London on Wednesday!

Mark, that sounds a bit of a monster, but no doubt required on a fishing boat.

Karl

Just now, Bordfunker said:

Which definitely will not go through the letterbox. Better warn Mrs B as I’ll be in London on Wednesday!

Mark, that sounds a bit of a monster, but no doubt required on a fishing boat.

Karl

It should go through the door without needing a letterbox, or it's not 11kg....  :)

Mark - if you tied a rope to that one, didn't you have an anchor?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately the seller sent it via DPD's collections service, so I ended up collecting the vice from my local Sainsburys, but I did take pity on the poor woman behind the collections counter, and offered to get the package off the shelf for her given the weight!

Since the last update I've managed to get nothing done on the car due to having to work most of the last 2 weekends, one of the joys of working in procurement at the end of a financial quarter, so the vice had sat in the garage since collection gathering dust.

It didn't help that my modern, the C1, had developed an annoying rattle at certain revs, no doubt the result of a deep wading exercise on the M40 last week due to lanes 2 & 3 flooding to a depth of 6 inches during rush hour.

So the first part of my afternoon was spent crawling around under the dimunitive Citroen looking for anything loose, which did at least uncover that I had a loose cover over the brake and fuel lines where they run under the front passenger seat area, which was probably the source of the rattle, and a blowing exhaust joint where the new back box had been fitted.

The first I fixed with some cable ties, the second will need a return visit to Kwik-fit, as the clamp they have fitted looks to be the wrong size, and will never seal the joint properly!

With that out of the way, I could finally lug the vice out of the garage and take a good look at my latest acquisition.

bAA7oH.jpg

VPesiC.jpg

A bit rusty, but everything moves nice and freely, and is certainly less notchy than my old Chinese vice.

I started clean up with a selection of wire wheels and strip discs in a powerdrill.

nxhUQb.jpg

As expected, the rust was totally superficial, and came off over the next hour, leaving me with this.

OLhSxM.jpg

mnqxgF.jpg

The handle still needs some work, but unsure if I will bother painting the vice, or just oil it up. to protect it.

And that's where I left it for today.

Tomorrow is Bicester Scramble, so a morning of classic cars in the lovely surrounds of a 1930's RAF base.

Karl

23 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Someone mentioned once, that those Records are cast iron, which surprised me.  Can the square section, definitely be used as an anvil?.

Dave   

I use mine as such Dave and not had a problem...... I think the bench would give before the vice.

Tony.

22 hours ago, Bordfunker said:

The handle still needs some work, but unsure if I will bother painting the vice, or just oil it up. to protect it.

And that's where I left it for today.

Karl

Looks like a bargain Karl, i would oil it if i were you.... As you would be repainting it every time you use it or scratch it :) 

Tony.

Tony, in the end I decided that I just couldn't leave it unpainted, so gave it a coat of FE123 rust stopper, followed by a quick blast of primer.

Kdoo3L.jpg

QV83ji.jpg

As you can see I managed to remove one of the sets of jaws but not the other, the aim being to make masking easier.

Next step will be a coat of Hammerite Smooth or something of a similar ilk. I'm not looking for pristine just tidy, as it will no doubt end up covered in scratches and scrapes.

And this is the point at which the old vice had failed!

SfbY6W.jpg

Not pretty!

As well as faffing around with the vices, both old and new, I cleaned all the old paint of the propshaft flange, masked it up, and primed and painted.

dzh7cQ.jpg

XhArag.jpg

vkCw7e.jpg

Guess I better get on and order a new UJ from the club shop to replace the one I broke.

Karl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bordfunker said:

Guess I better get on and order a new UJ from the club shop to replace the one I broke.

Karl

And another vice to use while you touch up the scratches on the other one :) :)  I did break a vice like that old one once, but in all fairness it did have a long length of scaffolding tube on it whilst a bearing was being whacked with a large hammer in the jaws. 

Tony.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a hiatus in progress over the last month, as work on the car has been put to one side, due to my mother being diagnosed with cancer, so progress is likely to be slow over the next few months.

Having said that I did manage to get into the garage this afternoon for a couple of hours, cleaning up the smaller brake components and reassembling the passenger side hub.

dwPttD.jpg

The brake adjuster was siezed almost solid, so had to be soaked in Gunk, and then stripped and cleaned before reassembly.

As were the springs and shoe retainers.

ZgnRL4.jpg

So next I finally got around to attaching the hub to the passenger side driveshaft and backplate, first remembering to insert the new Woodruff key, and tuning over the locking tabs on the backplate retaining bolts.

9tv1vK.jpg

All of which went swimmingly, so I decided to add the flange bolts and new nylocs to both driveshafts, as much as a way of making sure I don't lose either!

qzwH6u.jpg

Remember this?

S9ha8l.jpg

It's the heater valve for the Delaney Gallay heater, which I have slowly been cleaning up ahead of refitting, and which is naturally bare metal and so will get a coat of clear lacquer before it is re-fitted to the heater.

Karl

• 1 month later...

Following my last update my mother's cancer took a turn for the worse and proved much more aggressive than anyone had suspected, and as a result of this she died last month, with the funeral taking place early this month.

The last 8 weeks have largely been spent talking to friends and relatives and supporting my father, getting the funeral sorted and doing all those things which need to be done, but which you never new about.

There is still lots to do, as I have to sort out probate, but things have finally quietened down in the gap between Xmas and new year, leaving me a few hours to get into the garage for some therapeutic Triumph fettling.

Picking up where I left off, I attended to the remaining drive flange on the prop-shaft, as both the UJ cups had been refusing to push in fully, which given my previous experience means I was somewhat wary of just trying to force the cups on.

Good job I was, as removal of the cups showed both had tumbled needle bearings, so 10 minutes was spent re-inserting all the needle bearings, and then re-inserting the cups.

x2lB2V.jpg

Utilising my new G-clamp rig.

t8RtCh.jpg

k251yl.jpg

Unlike my F-clamps the G-clamp has a bar on the end which allows you to apply real force, rather than a wooden handle.

This then got a squirt of fresh grease via the screw in nipple, before the grub screw was screwed in.

TJdQBP.jpg

OQQKOQ.jpg

With circlips inserted, and greased for good measure I was finally left with a refurbished prop-shaft.

KkhliX.jpg

With that out of the way I started cleaning up the voltage regulator, as it was covered in dollops of underseal and random other nasties.

I did try cleaning it off with white spirit, but this stuff just wasn't shifting, so I had to resort to light sanding, however having now found out that bakelite can contain asbestos, I'm not sure about doing any more sanding.

78CvHK.jpg

NfqJR4.jpg

That's all for this instalment, but there will be more updates shortly as I have also done some work on stripping the dash and sorting out the loom.

Karl

• Like 1

Sad news, Karl; I've lost a few friends and relatives this year from the same and there were a few reflective moments at Christmas. They say you never get over it, you just learn to live with it.

I sneaked back into the garage many times just to feel normal again; even at present with one heavily bandaged arm in a sling from recent surgery just getting in front of the workbench takes the mind off a lot of other things.

Bakelight is hard to clean up and more than once I've just painted one or fitted a better spare. Your G-clamp is better than mine, which broke a few weeks ago when I was trying to press bushes into place. Bought it at Stratford in August... four months!