** 26/02/23 Heading Up ** Probably how not to restore a Herald!

On 16/11/2017 at 2:47 PM, Bordfunker said:

I’ve been lucky in that I’ve never had an issue with vaporisation on any car I’ve owned, including the Beetle which you would expect to suffer issues,

Karl, I had two Beetles in my late teens/early 20's and the only issue I had occasionally was the fuel refusing to vapourise - the carb heater (as you know, basically a hollow tube to take hot exhaust gasses to the carb) blocked up and no heat got to the carb and when it was very cold and/or damp it would run rough and stall occasionally.

Had a similar problem with a 1.3 Nova SR - but that was due to the exhaust being off the Sport and had no carb heating- so could drive down the motorway for 30miles, pull off and it stall as the carb froze!

Darren, I think I may well add a second filter just after the tank, after all I’ve got plenty of new fuel hose left, and as you pointed out would prevent muck getting into the pump.

Anglefire, I must admit I never had an issue with the Beetle, apart from the fact the fuel gauge didn’t work, which lead to fuel starvation of a different nature!

Karl

1 hour ago, Bordfunker said:

Darren, I think I may well add a second filter just after the tank, after all I’ve got plenty of new fuel hose left, and as you pointed out would prevent muck getting into the pump.

Anglefire, I must admit I never had an issue with the Beetle, apart from the fact the fuel gauge didn’t work, which lead to fuel starvation of a different nature!

Karl

If you fitting a filter after the tank, consider adding a on off tap as this helps with changing / cleaning the filter plus adds a level of security if required

Paul

Doug, you’re really selling me on the tap idea.........

I had another look at the speedo illumination last night, and realised that the master light switch appears to have 2 positions.

The first turns on the exterior lights, then a further pull engages a second position which turns on the speedo lights.

You learn something new everyday with a Triumph.

Karl

Actually it does sort of make sense. If it was the other way around, if you turn the dash lights on, you might forget to turn the headlights on in town for example.

The other way around, when you can't see what speed you are doing, you can then turn on the dash lights.

Or can do it like most other cars and they both come on at the same time!

Though to be fair, my BMW goes from white dash lights to red when the ambient light is low enough - the headlights often been on before it decides that its dark enough for a red dash! (Rain being the obvious reason for the lights to be on!)

I’ve just dug the handbook out that came with the car, and low and behold it’s supposed to work that way!

If it’s dark enough outside to need to turn your exterior lights on, then surely it’s dark enough inside the car to require dashboard illumination?

I’ve had French cars for the last 15 years, and even they haven’t been that odd.

Karl

Devised in the days of having to park at night with lights on , you turned the dash off to save a bit of battery

I was always going to make it 1st pull side lights 2nd pull headlamps and block the column plunge into darkness silly headlamps off stalk position you know the one click you make heading at speed into a corner and you turn the blasted things off instead of main

Pete

The Mk1 GT6 has the lever for sidelights / full beam / dipped beam. IF you move it the wrong way, you go from full beam to sidelights. Been there, done that... drove the entire way to Stirling, Scotland, on either full beam or sidelights. I just thought the dipped headlamps were old and past their best... however it too has the two position master switch for outside illumination, then dashboard illumination. You can drive with the dials turned off, it's nice at night as there's no glare inside the cabin. 

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

The Saab’s used to be able to run with either no dash lights or just rev counter from memory. 

Both our 'moderns' are Saabs and they do have a 'Night Panel' switch that turns all the dash lights off except for the 0 to 70 section of the speedometer. I'm told, by someone who has done it, that the rest of the speedo illuminates too if you go over 70. 

However, if the car thinks that there is anything else you should know about it will illuminate that gauge as well, low fuel for example. And yes, it really makes night driving more pleasant.

All delightfully quirky, like our Triumphs.

Adrian

• Like 1

My picasso has a night setting switch , if the dails are all on and the sat navs on bright , its hampers night vision by lighting the inside of the 

Giant screen, just button it off and the difference is amazing

Then you can change the dial shapes the data presented and even have photos loaded on the dash 

Me   I stick with   dinosaur   dials,  

I get the Saab approach as this mirrors aviation practise where often at night only the blind flying panel, where all the useful instruments are located, is illuminated to aid pilot focus.

I did think about changing the positions as per Pete’s suggestion, but then I would be the one driving around with an illuminated speedo and no external lights, because I hadn’t pulled the switch all the way out.

The new horns turned up from Paddocks, but the high note one had been damaged in the post, probably because it had been sent just in the Lucas box with no external packing!

I still fitted the low tone horn, and gave it a quick toot!

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

The replacement horn from Paddocks turned up this week, so that took all of 2 minutes to fit, so that I now have melodious horn functions!

That was the easy bit this weekend, as attention then had to turn to the rot around the seatbelt mount.

E16xZf.jpg

Moisture has obviously become trapped between the reinforcing plate and the rear foot well, leading to this over time, where the rot has actually broken through.

Nothing for it but to break out the angle grinder and cut out the offending metal, leaving me with this this.

rFlM5t.jpg

This was my first attempt, made last Sunday. When it came to welding in the patch it just kept blowing through as the old metal of the foot well was too thin, so I ended up cutting it out and starting again with a larger patch.

jzk1S8.jpg

Better, but still no cigar, as the top join kept blowing through, necessitating the use of two smaller patches either side of the reinforcing rib.

F6uTO9.jpg

The patch on the top right has already been welded in and ground down, while the new patch is just sitting in position awaiting welding.

And here it is welded in. Job done?

ICuK6m.jpg

To be on the safe side I welded the joints from both sides, and it was while doing that I heard an ominous crack!

The metal to the right of the right hand patch had just cracked as it cooled, so thin was the old metal.

I did consider welding the crack, but a firm jab with a screwdriver produced this!

u3BUEs.jpg

Nothing for it but to cut out and weld in another patch.

MlKQae.jpg

Not pretty at the moment, but like the other patches welded on both sides for strength prior to being ground down.

vVzSoE.jpg

Clean up will have to wait for next weekend, as I ran out of time today.

Once I've marked out where the hole for the seat belt mounting should go, I'll weld in an additional reinforcing patch on the inside of the car, before fitting the external plate I've ordered from Paddocks.

Not bad for three hours work, but quite frustrating all the same, as I thought the bulk of the welding was behind me for now.

Karl

On 11/22/2017 at 11:54 PM, Adrian Cooper said:

Both our 'moderns' are Saabs and they do have a 'Night Panel' switch that turns all the dash lights off except for the 0 to 70 section of the speedometer. I'm told, by someone who has done it, that the rest of the speedo illuminates too if you go over 70. 

However, if the car thinks that there is anything else you should know about it will illuminate that gauge as well, low fuel for example. And yes, it really makes night driving more pleasant.

All delightfully quirky, like our Triumphs.

Adrian

Heated seats and an excellent heater made for very comfortable driving in our 93 a few years back; I used to drive home from work at 3am with the top down and just listen to the country noises, at all hours of the night and all times of the year. I  tried the same stunt in my 1200 convertible on 23rd December and had to put the hood up after only three or four miles...

4 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Heated seats and an excellent heater made for very comfortable driving in our 93 a few years back; I used to drive home from work at 3am with the top down and just listen to the country noises, at all hours of the night and all times of the year. I  tried the same stunt in my 1200 convertible on 23rd December and had to put the hood up after only three or four miles...

You can still have heated seats - just purchased these for our Vitesse 

Paul 

Hmmmm... and there I am, just about to restore two front Herald seats. If he sold a heated ear-muff I might be tempted, it was frozen ears that got me the last time. I arrived home and they both had Iceland price tags on them...

I see the seller doesn't post to UK though..... and he trades from there, allegedly... (which appears to include Hong Kong and China these days, going by where my UK-based sellers are despatching from :) )

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Hmmmm... and there I am, just about to restore two front Herald seats. If he sold a heated ear-muff I might be tempted, it was frozen ears that got me the last time. I arrived home and they both had Iceland price tags on them...

I see the seller doesn't post to UK though..... and he trades from there, allegedly... (which appears to include Hong Kong and China these days, going by where my UK-based sellers are despatching from :) )

Hi Colin - This is the link I purchased from , bit more expensive than last posted link - arrived within 3 days - quality appears good , particularly pleased with switch which wont look too much out of place - the switch need a 24mm hole - good instructions 

Paul 

heat-switch.jpg