** 26/02/23 Heading Up ** Probably how not to restore a Herald!

On 26/06/2019 at 21:08, Bordfunker said:

Pete, I wish I had a length of scaffolding pole. I used to have one many years ago for getting the hub nuts of my VW Beetle, but the scaffolding pole went with the car.

How funny is that! I did exactly the same thing with my beetle - until the last time I did the job when I borrowed a massive 3/4” drive torque wrench off the local parts shop - it was so easy to do them up with it - one handed I seem to remember rather than handing off the scaffold pole - I must have also bust about 4 normal wrenches. 😂

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ive got a full set of 3/4 drives  but dont get used much , all shiney and new blasted heavy to carry though.

Pete

Me too, bought them for ONE socket - needed it for a horse trailer - and have never used it for anything else other than a 22 or 24 mm socket to press bushes into.

Doug - is that a four iron?

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ive got a full set of 3/4 drives  but dont get used much , all shiney and new blasted heavy to carry though.

Pete

Me too, bought them for ONE socket - needed it for a horse trailer - and have never used it for anything else other than some of the smaller 22 or 24 mm sockets to press bushes into.

Doug - is that a four iron?

I would love to be reporting that the passenger side hub and driveshaft were now two separate entities, however that is still not the case, despite rigging the bench to hold said assembly securely while I assaulted it.

ceqvGD.jpg

And secured to the back of the bench to prevent unwanted rotation with a couple of Rimmers steering rack clamps which don't fit my rack! I knew I'd find a use for them one day.

Znkzn4.jpg

With all that set up, I set to with the torque wrench and a makeshift extension, which appeared to be making headway, until I realised that all it was actually doing was easing the wheel nuts off the wheel studs by stripping the threads!

pa0XwJ.jpg

It was at this juncture that I gave up and walked away, hot, sweaty and deeply dispirited.

The hub is now in the hands of my local garage, who have just informed that they can't shift it either, but the mechanic is determined to separate the two components, so it's off to another garage on Monday to be put in a very large press!

Good to know it wasn't just me.

Karl

I think, by now, I'd have sourced another halfshaft and hub.... so I admire your perseverence!

You'll get there in the end, but I just hope - from personal experience - that after all that effort, sweat and toil, that it's actually suitable for reuse....

Mrs B has said much the same, and I did think about that Colin, but at a combined cost of £150+, would like to try and re-use what I’ve got.

That doesn’t mean that when the driveshaft is removed it isn’t toast, but I’m hoping it’s in a similar state to the driver’s side.

Karl

45 minutes ago, Bordfunker said:

I would love to be reporting that the passenger side hub and driveshaft were now two separate entities, however that is still not the case, despite rigging the bench to hold said assembly securely while I assaulted it.

ceqvGD.jpg

And secured to the back of the bench to prevent unwanted rotation with a couple of Rimmers steering rack clamps which don't fit my rack! I knew I'd find a use for them one day.

Znkzn4.jpg

With all that set up, I set to with the torque wrench and a makeshift extension, which appeared to be making headway, until I realised that all it was actually doing was easing the wheel nuts off the wheel studs by stripping the threads!

pa0XwJ.jpg

It was at this juncture that I gave up and walked away, hot, sweaty and deeply dispirited.

The hub is now in the hands of my local garage, who have just informed that they can't shift it either, but the mechanic is determined to separate the two components, so it's off to another garage on Monday to be put in a very large press!

Good to know it wasn't just me.

Karl

Blimey and was that using heat on the flange as well?

With the amount of effort being put in I would like to donate one of my spares, I think I only have long ones though!, no I might have one. First photo, 290mm. Second 310mm. Taken seal to uj holder. Two different shafts, hopefully a short one there

1562345391811655755427.jpg

15623455489121547866133.jpg

Edited by Mathew
More info

3 hours ago, Bordfunker said:

Mrs B has said much the same, and I did think about that Colin, but at a combined cost of £150+, would like to try and re-use what I’ve got.

That doesn’t mean that when the driveshaft is removed it isn’t toast, but I’m hoping it’s in a similar state to the driver’s side.

Karl

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Spitfire-Herald-GT6-Halfshaft-Vertical-Link-Trunnion-Right-Hand-128135/323694968412?hash=item4b5db93e5c:g:PsMAAOSwHF5cZbKg

Might not be in bad condition, you never know until you're looking at it, but it's got all the bits for £19.

All many thanks for your comments.

Matt, I’m hoping I won’t have to take you up on the offer, but many thanks.

Colin, knowing me, the one on Fleabay would probably be equally stubborn, but I will certainly bear it in mind if the big b*gger press can’t shift it, especially as at that price as I dare say I could clean up and paint the bits I didn’t need and sell them on.

Tony, the mechanic sounded pretty determined when I spoke to him, and slight peeved that he hadn’t been able to shift it.

Given the weather, I think this weekend I shall try finishing the paintwork on the driver’s side driveshaft and hub, as well as the heater box, so that I can reassemble them next weekend.

Karl

Sorry to repeat but is it taking all this effort even with heating of the flange? Cherry red isnt necessary but a good warming with a gas torch before carefully attaching the puller should have made all the difference.....

6 hours ago, ahebron said:

I think that this has gone beyond separating a hub from an axle. It is the stubborn proving of a point and is man against machine. 

Adrian

Is this like drawing a sword from a stone, who ever separate this hub and shaft shall be king of the road.

• Like 1