** 26/02/23 Heading Up ** Probably how not to restore a Herald!

It's bloody annoying when they spin that old line, makes you wonder if you really have got the one dodgy set, or they're just telling porkies!

My new toy turned up today from the club shop, a spring compressor!

128A649B-5B84-4322-A333-7A943BB6B51A.jpg

This allowed me to split the spring from the damper very easily, and just as importantly, safely!

Which then allowed me to inspect the damper and the spring, both of which look to be in good fettle, if very grubby.

EAFB14D8-AB20-48CE-B030-BDE0B9854A8E.jpg

So out came the electric drill and wire brushes, and then with the damper held in the vice I set to.

A8AB3A71-F99E-4F50-A44F-5585FEC93F35.jpg

This is the result of half an hours effort, including attacking the really cruddy bits with a mule skinner.

A bit pitted, but I'm sure it'll be fine under a few coats of black paint.

Karl

Karl, The Haynes manual gives the uncompressed length of the road springs. Worth a check. First time I replaced mine they were 2 inches short, due to a boat bouncing about on the tow bar! 30 years later, recently, I replaced them again because the MOT man said they were rusty! :o Who new? Road springs go rusty! However they had also lost 1/2 inch over the 30 years. 

Also, what with all the money you've spent, aren't you contemplating new shockers?

Doug it's because of what I've spent that I'm not considering new shocks, that and the fact that new shocks appear to be of somewhat dubious quality.

These look to be the older Monroe shocks, and are working nicely, so a coat of paint will do for now.

I'll have to check the spring lengths at the weekend, thanks for pointing that out, as I wouldn't have thought of that.

Karl

I reassembled the spring shock units using a new polyurethane top bottom bush and an old top top bush and replaced it when the car was back on its wheels. this was to get around the problem of the polyurethane top bush not going through the turret hole.

I'm sure you know not to remove the damper top nut without the weight of the car holding the spring compressed. 

Another reason not to throw away old parts as you remove them.

Regards

Paul

Not quite sure where the weekend went, but it somehow got away from me and I only got an hour or so working on the Herald, so progress has been somewhat meagre.

What I did manage to get done, consisted purely of attacking various suspension components with wire brushes and an electric drill, however it did leave me with an assortment of clean parts ready for paint.

ElNJHa.jpg

The brake shields took a fair bit of cleaning up, including assault with a mule skinner for the really stubborn bits, but came up pretty well.

OR2cUY.jpg

As did the damper and spring top mount.9UA8jr.jpg

I love that the steering arm has 'Stanpart' cast into it!

This gives me a sense of deja vu......

2X65Ku.jpg

With everything clean it was time to apply rust stopper as a sound basis for the paint to come. It does have a tendency to turn everything mauve though at first!

Z91ILV.jpg

VmlJOw.jpg

LAX9PN.jpg

As per usual I'll let that lot dry overnight, and then as Mrs B has postponed V day to Friday I might get to put some primer on it all.

I finally took the plunge last week and ordered a mail order bride, mainly because she came with a free compressor, which I've been promising myself for years.

utJQxu.jpg

Willow, the beagle is obviously unfazed by the large red compressor, less so by Mrs B in a box though!

Karl

• Like 1

Finally remembered to measure the length of the suspension spring that I removed last week.

Triumph manual states unloaded length of 306mm, measurement of scabby spring from my car comes up at 308mm, so more than close enough for me.

Now I just need to clean up the spring and give it a good coat of paint.

Karl

I managed to get some time in the garage this afternoon with the intention of trying out the new compressor with the blow gun and some Gunk, as the area behind the driver's side front suspension needs a thorough clean up.

Slight problem, the drain valve underneath the air tank refused to close as the knurled nut used to close it had separated from the valve stem, and so could not be closed.

I then removed the body of the valve and tried to screw the valve closed, but no joy as the thread had stripped!

A quick call to the manufacturer however secured immediate dispatch of a replacement part and profuse apologies.

Not ideal, but good customer service none the less.

With that plan stymied it was time for plan B.

Taking a second look at the damper I cleaned up last week, I decided it wasn't good enough, so attacked it again with wire brushes and mule skinner, which left me with a much shinier damper.

DO29Fz.jpg

vIoT33.jpg

Not perfect, but certainly good enough considering it can't really be seen most of the time, so out with the Kurust.

IpH5kw.jpg

This isn't the only thing I managed to get done this week, as I also got paint onto parts I'd cleaned up last week.

iN9uxy.jpg

s9bxbJ.jpg

Here they all are sitting in the booth looking nice and shiny, and ready for reassembly.

Karl

We had a little trip out today to Stoneliegh for the Triumph & MG Spares Day, apparently MG is another brand of car from yesteryear, but I've never heard of them myself.

The aim today was simply to go for a mooch around the auto jumble and tools stands, and pick up some new wire brushes as mine are knackered.

What wasn't part of the plan was spotting a rather nice, rust free door to replace my not very nice, and decidedly not rust free passenger door, and all for £95, which I figured was a good deal as mine needs a new doorskin at least, and quite possibly a new door bottom as well.

Said door is now stashed away alongside the Herald, hence the rather poor photo.

YTH1Pt.jpg

It's actually off of a Vitesse, so hopefully won't cause the passenger side to go faster than the driver's side!

My quest for the aluminium oxide standing discs proved fruitful despite the distractions of the door.

pFlNHB.jpg

Here it is chucked in my old power drill after a session cleaning up the remaining suspension components.

And I have to say I was most impressed with the results, way better than wire brushes as you can see from the photo below.

KFLbMm.jpg

Like new! Very quick, very impressive and would definitely recommend.

Unfortunately everything then got a coat of Kurust which turned it all black and mucky!

Karl

Dave, I think it's quite satisfying to take a knackered old part and refurbish it, rather than just buying new, even if that is easier and quicker.

I got the oxide wheel from a stand at the MG & Triumph show last week, but can't remember who the seller was for the life of me.

Machine Mart do them, but they are about twice what I paid, but still worth it given how good they are at removing paint and rust.

I have been busy in my deluxe paint booth painting the suspension parts that I have refurbished so far.....

iN9uxy.jpg

The upper wishbones and damper still need a few more coats of paint before they are complete, but even that grotty old spring has come up nicely.

QdLiEJ.jpg

Meanwhile in the garage I've been busy further reducing the mass of the Herald!

LgiM1k.jpg

c19wOv.jpg

Yes, I've only gone and removed the suspension tower and rack so I can clean up the rust on the chassis, here they both are on the bench.

dsXjtD.jpg

This just needs a clean up and a coat of paint before it goes back on the car, much like the rack which is in good nick.

6qb0YC.jpg

When removing the rack, I found that a previous owner had replaced the rubber rack mounts with nice solid alloy ones, which along with all the other bits and bobs are marinating in Gunk at the moment.

Karl

Check the solid mounts have not let the anti rattle plunger to fall out the passenger side

its a small plastic plug fits in a open hole in the tube held in by the rubber mount

left to drop out with most ally ones ,

available from a few suppliers , trick is hold in place with jubilee clip

If the uj on the column is tired use a proper modern version ofetn called uprated

think its same as fiesta etc.

pete

Dave, just checked the show guide and it was A1 Abrasives I bought the oxide disks from.

http://www.a1abrasives.co.uk/

Pete, I didn't notice anything drop out, but with all the pushing and shoving I may well have missed it.

At least it would only have dropped into the drip tray I had under the car to catch the degreaser, so I'll have to have a sift through.

Karl

Pete, had a look at the drip tray this evening and no sign off the plug.

It may be on the floor, but more likely it was lost when the original mounts were replaced.

Dave, Choppers were a thing when I was a lad as well, that and the Grifter.

Both looked great but were heavy as hell, and dead slow to ride.

Karl

Mrs B took youngest son off to Lancashire to take a look at Edge Hill University yesterday, staying overnight as it's a 3+ hour drive from sunny Oxfordshire, leaving me to my own devices for Friday evening, and a chunk of Saturday.

This off course meant more Herald fettling, focussing on the chassis on the driver's side, and the suspension tower that I removed last week.

That meant more clean up with Gunk and the steam cleaner. You can see how cruddy and oily this part of the chassis is from the photo below.

v4HTQ8.jpg

This is after I attacked the front cross member with a scraper, as neither the steam cleaner now the blow gun were making an impression on the near 5mm thick layer of road muck and oil.

As you can see the paint came off with the crud, leaving me with a pretty much naked cross member. Never nice!

6Gv0kb.jpg

There's an oil leak from the front of the engine, but due to the level of filth I can't tell whether it's coming from the timing chain cover, or the join between the sump and the block.

This is the driver's side chassis rail post clean up. Almost seems a shame to paint it!

qv9iBS.jpg

And here is the suspension tower following vigorous assault with the aluminium oxide disk.

8441Ap.jpg

I am really loving these disks as they are absolutely stunning at removing paint and surface rust. The only problem is that they aren't deep enough to reach the bottoms of the channels the upper wishbones mount into.

CYeCBl.jpg

These had to be attacked with wire brushes and cellulose thinners, as the paint was extremely stubborn.

Here it is with the obligatory coat of Kurust, and looking like a dinosaur skull!

UfS5Wu.jpg

The chassis rails and front cross member got the Kurust treatment as well, but I couldn't be arsed to take any photos of them, so it was straight onto the etch primer, which went on a treat.

733eh6.jpg

VrSRr5.jpg

The rack mounts boxes, those square sections either side of the cross member, are open underneath, and we're full of oily muck, which took a large chunk of the morning to get properly clean.

Those wires hanging down are from one of the horns, having removed both the horn support bar, and the front valance in order to improve access for cleaning and painting.

I need to get under the car tomorrow to make sure I have fully painted the interior of the rack mounts, which should be lovely given how much muck is now on the garage floor after all this cleaning!

Karl

I've spent a few hours tidying up the garage today as it's got into a right state with all the clean up work, as well as setting up a rail from which I can hang items for spraying from.

However I did manage to get a coat of etch primer on the suspension tower.

LzpnHh.jpg

I also cleaned up the steering rack mounting plates and the lower wishbone adjustment shims with wire brushes before hitting them with a coat of etch primer.

RyqDYB.jpg

gjpzeM.jpg

I also gave the rack mounting boxes on the chassis an extra coat of primer, having to lie underneath the car to do so.

That'll do for the weekend.

All of that can be allowed to harden off for a few days, and then I'll apply the red oxide primer, and top coats.

Karl