Broad Ground Road
Lakeside
Redditch
Worcestershire
B98 8YP

Office hours are 8.30AM - 5.30PM Monday to Friday

Telephone: 01527 521600

www.almsolutions.co.uk

They are spot-on with service and products, plus list every wire colour combination you could wish for. In addition they do a lot of thin wall wire which is the way forward these days in so much that the wire is thinner and yet can carry a high amp rating.

They advertise a lot on Ebay and here's a link to get you on their selling site:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/almelectricalsolutions/

Good luck.

Richard.

Robin.

Thin wall wire carries a high amperage so for example 1.0mm2 cross section is capable of up to 16.5amps.

However in your case 0.5mm2 is fine as it can handle up to 11amps - more than sufficient for your rear lamps.  

I have searched and included a link from ALM via Ebay for your assistance:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5mm-12V-24V-Automotive-Marine-Auto-Cable-11Amp-Thinwall-All-Colours-Lengths-/321323682498?var=510232441704&hash=item4ad0624ac2:m:mPXgugvE_7fCfAE5jhpE1nA

Personally I prefer the old style bullet and black rubber insulators. The bullets can be soldered once the wire is inserted, if required, and these items keep the era of the car correct.

Again here is a useful link showing the items as an example only, there are plenty of sellers on Ebay - just ensure you get the brass bullets:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-7mm-Lucas-style-Brass-Bullet-Male-Connectors-Sockets-Female-Pk-of-35-/301390875277?hash=item462c4bca8d:g:~nQAAOSwuMFUY21l

I tend to buy packs of bullets, single & double connectors via Ebay, not had a problem yet. That has done it !!!!!!!

Hope the above assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

Robin.

Thin wall wire carries a high amperage so for example 1.0mm2 cross section is capable of up to 16.5amps.

However in your case 0.5mm2 is fine as it can handle up to 11amps - more than sufficient for your rear lamps.  

I have searched and included a link from ALM via Ebay for your assistance:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5mm-12V-24V-Automotive-Marine-Auto-Cable-11Amp-Thinwall-All-Colours-Lengths-/321323682498?var=510232441704&hash=item4ad0624ac2:m:mPXgugvE_7fCfAE5jhpE1nA

Personally I prefer the old style bullet and black rubber insulators. The bullets can be soldered once the wire is inserted, if required, and these items keep the era of the car correct.

Again here is a useful link showing the items as an example only, there are plenty of sellers on Ebay - just ensure you get the brass bullets:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-7mm-Lucas-style-Brass-Bullet-Male-Connectors-Sockets-Female-Pk-of-35-/301390875277?hash=item462c4bca8d:g:~nQAAOSwuMFUY21l

I tend to buy packs of bullets, single & double connectors via Ebay, not had a problem yet. That has done it !!!!!!!

Hope the above assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - thanks for the info. Out of interest do you know what the indicator lamps draw in terms of amps?

Robin.

Use this formula for watts, volts and amps.

So in your case the amp requirement is:

Watts (W) divided by volts (V) = amps (A)

With this equation you can swap the A, V and W about to determine the answers for each constant.

Off the top of my head I'm 99% certain indicator bulbs run with 21W; so less than 2amps per bulb using the above equation. So as you can see 0.5mm2 cable is ample.

Regards.

Richard.

Richard.

The problem with buying an old wiring loom is that it's an unknown quantity in relation to wire degradation.

Personally, I would rather pay for new wire, especially thin wall which is a pleasure to work with and use. In addition you can obtain any colour combination you require.

Regards.

Richard.

Thin way is the way to go, if you use a lot it saves some weight as a bonus,

as I acquired miles of cable on reels when the factory stopped production I have to admit to using all the wrong colours when needed , but tag and label these in the hope I remember in the future

but I have some nice bright colours in a couple of odd places , you dont need to squint to confirm the colour code

all good fun

pete

Hello Pete.

You are not alone on incorrect colour choices, I'm sure we have all been there at some stage. In fact I know a chap who only uses black and red wire for many of his wire runs. He says he never has a problem tracking the correct wire down, mmmmmmmm I'm not so sure !!  

However, on a more solid footing this will be of assistance to a lot of classic car owners, not just us with Triumphs and it is the BS-AU7 wiring colour standard code; which you probably know of very well Pete, in fact it's now the BS-AU7(a) system with the addition of yellow and slate base wires.

I've attached a copy which hopefully will assist; it does make you use the correct colours !!

Regards.

Richard.

BS-AU7 - LUCAS WIRE COLOUR CODES.pdf

Robin.

You will see from the attached chart that the L & R indicators have their own trace wire.

Green/ Red for the left and Green / White for the right.

Regards.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I'm thinking of changing the wiring loom on my Spitfire Mk3 and I would appreciate advice / comment.

Rimmer sell the Part Number RL1393 for £335 including VAT whereas Auto Sparks sell, what sounds the same loom, for £306 including VAT.  That's quite a price difference especially as I'm having a fair amount of work done on the car and want to save a much money as possible.

So, am I comparing apples with apples?

Thanks, JM 

JM.

Darren is spot-on.

Rimmers collect items and sell at an inflated price.

In fairness they do a good service and are willing to price match on many items.

If anybody is going to the NEC in November and is thinking of purchasing anything from Rimmers, they will take the item to the show for collection and of course saves postage for the purchaser.

Regards.

Richard

I've bought stuff from Paddocks and they are fast and reliable. I bought a steering column end bearing seal and cap, the pictures were the wrong way around but I don't hold it against them as no one else stocked them! Canley are cheap and do good diagrams. Rimmers are reassuringly expensive, the Waitrose of Triumph spares.