Broken header rail- Vitesse

Froc

Hi all. Just put the hood up on the Vitesse, and discovered the header rail is broken. From what i can see, there is an arm off the header rail on each side, which connects it to the rest of the frame. Mine has sheared on the drivers side.

Is it possible to remove/refit the header rail without removing the rest of the hood? (Thinking heat gun to soften the glue, then remove the header rail for repair).

If i cant repair it, where can i get a replacement header rail from?

.....or am i looking at a new frame and hood here? ????

All sagely wisdom greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Froc

Second hand may be your best option, it won't be a case of a complete new frame but just replacing the broken parts. Carefully peel back the hood material as you've suggested and remove the rail, the repair or replace as necessary. I had the same problem in my Herald but was able to get a good second-hand one at Stoneleigh show a few years back.

Hi all.

I am going to bite the bullet and removr the broken header rail this week, with a view to repair and refit.

Does anyone have a step by step guide and/or some useful pics of this process they can share with me?

I suspect this job will be easy to cock up (!), so i am keen to get as much info in beforehand.

Many thanks

Froc

Froc i had the same problem on my vitesse.  Undo the screws holding the fabric on the seal underneath the header rail, take off the rubber seal and then heat up the fabric and peel it off, you will have to remove the upper rubber window seals to gain access to the 4 x bolts which secure the header to the rest of the frame.  Its then off and easy to fix.  I welded mine with a new piece of metal fabricated the same as the broken piece.

The header rail has a great deal of adjustment points so it doesn't have to be smack on.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Managed to get a pal to weld up the broken header rail (and thanks to George for also offering to weld it).

I am now refitting, and have a question about the frame-to-windscreen seal. I have a new one from Paddocks. It is U profile, to go over the ridge on top of the windscreen. My seal has a fat side and a thin side, making up the U. Which side should face front? (Or doesnt it matter?).

-Also, my seal is not profiled to fit into the retainer channel. Looks like it has to expand itself into the lips of the retainer. Is this correct? Any advice on fitting the seal much appreciated.

Many thanks

Froc

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that the part of the Header rail that bolts onto the side of the main hood rail was originally fixed with a large Rivet/Pin.

This was supposed to give a bit of side to side movement when the hood is up and the car flexes, this pin gets seized up with rust over time (SEE ITEM 2 ON ATTACHMENT) and this is what causes the break between the header rail and bracket.

A bit hard to explain, but hopefully the diagram shows the pin, there must be a bit of horizontal side to side movement on this large rivet/pin or it will break again eventually!

I had to free off both sides on my hood frame during my Vitesse's rebuild :huh:herald1360_plate_bb.jpg