Ever had one of those days?

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I might have known today was not going to go well?

First my all singing 4/3rds camera  stopped working yesterday and as it was a refurbished product(cheap) they had no replacement so it was either money back or repairs(off for repair it took me long enough to decide on this one!)

The my Freelander u/j,s arrived, good I thought I can get Spitty back together!

Well all was going quiet well until one roller decided it would rather live in the bottom of the cup!

So remove it not to bad until all the rollers fell on the floor(which I must admit is not that clean!)

So there I am on my hands and knees trying to find all the NEW rollers(found plenty of the old ones)found them all except ONE!!!!

So call it lunch time(I have bought 2 but did not want to take one roller out of the other)

After lunch sees me on hands and knees again and sieving all the dust and stuff(no luck) them suddenly it was there as if by magic?

Back to assembling again and no problems and joints finished up nice and tight.

Right I thought refit the drive shaft and gubbins but then thought will just check trunnion pivots(silly not to?)

You are ahead of me?WORN of course still I think I have a spare set of those in the other garage ready to fit on the Vitesse.

But of course forgetting it a Rotoflex  so bushes are shorter(B****r)

By now it is 3.30pm and to late to order for tomorrow(double b****r)

Still the u/js are in and they look so much better than the CHEAP standard(not Triumph) type.

But now I am thinking should I strip the other side down and fit the new u/j and bushes?

Oh the joys of owing a Classic car?

Roger

Looking at this Wonderful Beast make me think Spitfires are a doddle?

post-44-0-78287600-1474655986_thumb.jpg

I blew a head gasket last Thursday, been trying to get the head off ever since! Will it come off? Will it b****r! 

Woke up Tuesday with raging gout, and NO, no drink for weeks due to other medication.

This morning discovered the dishwasher is dead.

Half way trough tiling the kitchen floor. Can't get the dishwasher out till floor finished. Can't kneel down to fix the floor due to gout.

Can't get a new dishwasher past the dead car on the drive.

Assorted females, who don't even live here, giving me earache!

So, quite envious of your situation!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

H

Looking at this Wonderful Beast make me think Spitfires are a doddle?

Nah! If they drop something they don't have ANY trouble finding it on the workshop floor. They just have to hope it doesn't drop on someone's foot.

I feel your pain Roger, trying to make those bloody cups go in without dislodging the needles.

Sorry to hear about your head gasket Doug. And your medication-induced drinking problem.

Cheers, Richard

Roger have no idea about the twin but the others a west country class ...wheres me Ian Allan book

Doug you need to get your 'head' round all this    Hmmm!!   less meds more whisky sound a plan, wont cure anything but it gives you a fixed smile for a week .

with no Triumph in the garage (having its front end remodelled)  I washed the floor with some Hyper engine dereaser

well thats got me doing the splits hand stands and leap frog,.   its fine one engines etc but on my supa chequer plate vinyl 

its a skating wrink with wellies theres no hope of standing up, let alone hose  it down the thing takes on another hate of humans

I hate our dishwasher as the missus has no concept of 'Its upside down'   so saucpans full of sh1t when its finished   Grrrr!!!

theres no hope  

Pete

more woes , why does the boss persist in pushing the dyson around howling its nuts off completely blocked but oblivious to the  lack of suction or the 

sounds and smells of burning   its fine    ............rollocks is it fine ...........   been doing it for years ......  nothing changes 

so thats got me the grumps for the day...or week ...or............!!!!

Pete

A steam train anecdote.

When I was in short trousers we'd spend the summer holidays with my mother's parents in Scotland. We'd board the Flying Scotsman in London and get off at Berwick-upon-Tweed. The Flying Scotsman was the service, sometimes pulled by the train of the same name, but often others.

On one occasion we were admiring the engine before getting on. A swarm of little oiks were trying to climb aboard but were chased off by station staff. We stood respectfully back, behind us a man in a suit and bowler hat said "Bet you'd like to drive that!"  He was one of the train drivers (There were two sets for the journey)  I think he liked the look of mother and invited us to come up on the foot plate during the journey.

So, around about Newcastle we walked through the train, through the corridor in the tender and onto the footplate. I have pictures with my hand on the throttle and my brother on the whistle. And that's how I got to drive the Mallard!

A steam train anecdote.

When I was in short trousers we'd spend the summer holidays with my mother's parents in Scotland. We'd board the Flying Scotsman in London and get off at Berwick-upon-Tweed. The Flying Scotsman was the service, sometimes pulled by the train of the same name, but often others.

On one occasion we were admiring the engine before getting on. A swarm of little oiks were trying to climb aboard but were chased off by station staff. We stood respectfully back, behind us a man in a suit and bowler hat said "Bet you'd like to drive that!"  He was one of the train drivers (There were two sets for the journey)  I think he liked the look of mother and invited us to come up on the foot plate during the journey.

So, around about Newcastle we walked through the train, through the corridor in the tender and onto the footplate. I have pictures with my hand on the throttle and my brother on the whistle. And that's how I got to drive the Mallard!

Super jealous !!

Doug Im more concerned that putting your brother on the whistle did seriously affected his boyhood

did you get him off ok   or give him a quick blast !!!

and whilst on train stories ,  my uncle was head of motive power for  LNER  based at Cambridge when i was 14, we had a day of touring round the (then) new diesel depot, and steam shed ,  had a drive of a  new DMU  rail car and pufffed around in a 0-6- 0  Fowler  with a friend , but i never stuck on the whistle .

just wish I appreciated the day more than i did ,  all gone now .  progress. ???

Ive got    18 00 gauge engines but i keep messing with the track so like a triumph it never gets finished

with a Trix and Hornby Scotsman to that counts as two,  both single tenders .

my great grandfather  was a boiler maker at the Stratford works  ( dont know when) and with working for Commer  the Karrier 

name built a Road railer   Bus in the 1920/30s with a swivel set of wheels that as a bus could drive up to the track and the wheels would jack down to become a railcar

there some interesting facts on here    http://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/coaches-for-road-rail.html

My dad was purchase manager at Commer and did 51 years service, in the  WW2 a V2 landed on a new canteen and blew a lot up

he ended up flying off his desk into a steel wardrobe ,  they dont build em like that any more   there's no veneer in ere

so there's something in the blood from somewhere in the past 

Pete

Hello All

Just a small update(and you have guessed already it all got worse)

The new trunnion  bushes were delivered today an looked ok?

Now the admission in my haste/lack of thought/or just plain old age I cleaned up the housing and thought(first mistake) I know I will put a bit of glue on the outside to lessen the risk of them turning in the housing!

So pressed them in and then found the tube would not go through! so a measure up and found they had been made out of 14.5 mm tube (0.5709") instead of 9/16" (0.5625") so they are about 0.0085" over size.

Still never mind I thought being a smart A****s I will make a new one out of Stainless Steel!

So the best part of 1 hour later all nicely turned and drilled 7/16"i/d (the others are loose on the bolt(11.25mm?)

So then I thought I will check the overall length and adjust to suit!

I was then I noticed the C***k up I had pressed the bushes in WITHOUT the inner washers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So in the process of trying to remove one the flange broke off!!!!!!!!!!!! at this stage I thought these are complete C****p

So onto tinter web and order some proper(I hope Super pro type)

Still its all good fun is it not?

So I thought I will do some painting on my mate Bond(3 wheeler) we are brush painting it as it is full of dents(some been tapped out)

So plenty of rubbing down of primer etc and slapping on some Tekaloid type undercoat(now I have a sore throat and headache from the fumes?

Roger

ps it will look good from the far side of the pub car park(Post Office Red?)

We painted my sons first nappy yellow rusty mini with Japlac and brush and roller

nice orange peel but bright red and white was a 1 hour transformation which lasted 5 years

as for your bush fitting antics there are many who have left the seal washer off and you break the flange removing the bush

we need a shop of Tee shirts for some jobs we all manage to mend to destruction

pete

Hello All

The annoying thing is all the parts were laid out on the bench(must go to Spec Savers?)

I still think the kit was c****p

I thought the bushes were nylon not some cheap hard plastic?

All the suppliers photos look the same colour Blue

The really annoying thing is one of the bags has printed on it Origin GREAT BRITAIN?

Now does that mean the Bag the label or even the bushes etc or perhaps the ink used to print the label (or have we perfected the art of producing C****p?)

Roger

ps The Bond in is new paint! it looks good at a good distance

post-44-0-26490500-1475058892_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-20253700-1475058918_thumb.jpg

(must go to Spec Savers?)

I did, this morning.

As I'm living between houses at present - one for sale, one purchased, and all my worldly goods somewhere between - I had to collect a new pair of glasses from the local branch 12 miles away.

I drove across in the daughter's car which I had just serviced for her. Arrived at Specsavers, no wallet.

Drove to new house, parked daughter's car, picked up my own car.

Drove to old house - no wallet.

Drove back to new house - no front door key. 

Drove back to old house, collected front door key.

Drove back to new house, searched house, no wallet.

Looked into daughter's car, spotted it lying on the floor.

Key for daughter's car at old house. Drove back.

Collected key, back to new house again.

Collected wallet and drove back to Specsavers, then home.

Sixty miles driving when it should have been 24. One of those days?

The houses are only four miles apart, so I suppose it could have been worse...

I did, this morning.

As I'm living between houses at present - one for sale, one purchased, and all my worldly goods somewhere between - I had to collect a new pair of glasses from the local branch 12 miles away.

I drove across in the daughter's car which I had just serviced for her. Arrived at Specsavers, no wallet.

Drove to new house, parked daughter's car, picked up my own car.

Drove to old house - no wallet.

Drove back to new house - no front door key. 

Drove back to old house, collected front door key.

Drove back to new house, searched house, no wallet.

Looked into daughter's car, spotted it lying on the floor.

Key for daughter's car at old house. Drove back.

Collected key, back to new house again.

Collected wallet and drove back to Specsavers, then home.

Sixty miles driving when it should have been 24. One of those days?

The houses are only four miles apart, so I suppose it could have been worse...

Hello Colin

There is still hope for me but I am not sure about you?

Roger

ps a cup you will be able to see!

post-44-0-87773900-1475085507_thumb.jpg

Hello All

The cloud has lifted (for now!)

The Super Pro bushes arrived today and all the dimensions are correct(even the tube is slightly longer to allow for no bits if tin)

Plus they all fit nicely and come with a life time warranty? (so should see me out?) 

Plus no more to buy if they do fail!

Its true you get what you pay for but people of my generation are always looking for the bargain?(did not work this time!!!!!)

Now there is only the other side to fight when I get the new spring(I would like to remove the drive flange to check outer bearing before I replace the u/j) 

The near side one was replaced about 18000 miles ago and kept greased  and does not see that much wet.

Roger one happy bunny again(it wont last?)