Fuel Pipe layout - Vitesse MK2

Paul H

Hello Paul.

That pipe route is incorrect and on a bad day could cause a problem. Basically it's a bodge and done not to incur any effort.

The pipe should run under the body through to the fuel pump.

I've just taken my Mk2 off the ramps so unable to photo and show you; however it will be back in the air again soon so can photograph and upload FYI and assistance.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

That pipe route is incorrect and on a bad day could cause a problem. Basically it's a bodge and done not to incur any effort.

The pipe should run under the body through to the fuel pump.

I've just taken my Mk2 off the ramps so unable to photo and show you; however it will be back in the air again soon so can photograph and upload FYI and assistance.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - thanks for info . The fuel tank has to come out so I can bolt the the out riggers to the body - currently the rear tub is floating !! - I will then reroute the fuel pipe - any photos at a later date would be appreciated 

Best regards 

Paul 

Okay Paul, will do - probably next weekend now.

What's really odd is that it has no doubt taken longer to route the pipe that way than straight down the underside of the car !!

Classics, you have to love them.

Regards.

Richard.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Paul.

As promised, here are the photos of the fuel pipe run from tank to pump.

Basically the pipe run could not be simpler straight run and why the PO did that arduous route around the inner wheel arch one will never know !!

The entire length of the pipe runs along the OUTER EDGE of the nearside main chassis member; of which where the outriggers connect there is a hole for the fuel pipe to continue its straight run. It should also be noted that this run is shared with the brake pipe T junction and the rear brakes.

The fuel pipe then leaves the main chassis rail and curves up appearing by the fuel pump.

The photos make sense of the whole layout and the pipe along with the brake pipe is clipped to the main chassis rail throughout its run.

Hope the attached assists.

Best wishes.

Richard.

PS: oh yes before anybody comments, the car is not being supported by the trolley jack; I just like to have it there whilst fully under the car even though the car is rock solid with the front on ramps and the rear end on stands.  :) 

post-818-0-09038800-1475838517_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-09188700-1475838543_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-04375000-1475838568_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-12853100-1475838596_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-47366600-1475838621_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-05420800-1475838647_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-34683100-1475838672_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-53539400-1475838697_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard , many thanks for the pics , just emptying the tank and will be removing then will reroute existing piping - Removing the tank will allow the rear outriggers to be bolted to the boot floor . Currently the rear tub is hanging in the air . I think this explains the creaks when cornering !!!

All the best 

Paul 

Hello Paul.

As promised, here are the photos of the fuel pipe run from tank to pump.

Basically the pipe run could not be simpler straight run and why the PO did that arduous route around the inner wheel arch one will never know !!

The entire length of the pipe runs along the OUTER EDGE of the nearside main chassis member; of which where the outriggers connect there is a hole for the fuel pipe to continue its straight run. It should also be noted that this run is shared with the brake pipe T junction and the rear brakes.

The fuel pipe then leaves the main chassis rail and curves up appearing by the fuel pump.

The photos make sense of the whole layout and the pipe along with the brake pipe is clipped to the main chassis rail throughout its run.

Hope the attached assists.

Best wishes.

Richard.

PS: oh yes before anybody comments, the car is not being supported by the trolley jack; I just like to have it there whilst fully under the car even though the car is rock solid with the front on ramps and the rear end on stands.  :) 

Hi Richard - the petrol pipe does run along the main chassis along side the brake pipe - plan to keep this line then up and over the rear drive following contours of body shell - Does the pipe go behind or in front of the rear damper support - see pic . I hope ive explained this ok 

Best regards

Paul 

post-1431-0-73050300-1476116821_thumb.jpg

Hello Paul.

From your edited picture I do not think that is the route.

From memory, and of course I will check again for you, the pipe stays pretty much horizontal on leaving the fuel tank throughout its run. If that is the case then it will route behind the shock absorber which I know you will be fitting.

Additionally your edited route would be counter productive to flow, as the bottom of the fuel tank is lower and also closer to the rear chassis leg hence the reasoning for the pipework to run horizontally. I will check all that for you on Sunday if that's okay ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

From your edited picture I do not think that is the route.

From memory, and of course I will check again for you, the pipe stays pretty much horizontal on leaving the fuel tank throughout its run. If that is the case then it will route behind the shock absorber which I know you will be fitting.

Additionally your edited route would be counter productive to flow, as the bottom of the fuel tank is lower and also closer to the rear chassis leg hence the reasoning for the pipework to run horizontally. I will check all that for you on Sunday if that's okay ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard , many thanks for your input. Plenty of jobs being done including new shock absorbers so whenever is convenient . If I could ask one further favour ? The rear outriggers are currently not bolted to the chassis , so need to do this. The easiest way is to drill through the boot floor ( near the rear light cluster) then through the chassis with the fixing nut on the underside of the chassis . There are 2 fixing points and looking for a pic of the bolt positions when looking in the boot , the easiest one with access being the offside.

Best regards

Paul

Evening Paul.

Please see the attached 7x photos which will hopefully assist and have managed to take the nearside and offside twin mountings. Sorry I could not get them to you this afternoon, just ran out of time.

If you need extra or clearer photos, please let me know.

Regards.

Richard.

post-818-0-35175900-1476390016_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-83838000-1476390050_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-55306600-1476390091_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-03102500-1476390122_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-37974100-1476390149_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-03056300-1476390183_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-46781200-1476390217_thumb.jpg

Evening Paul.

Please see the attached 7x photos which will hopefully assist and have managed to take the nearside and offside twin mountings. Sorry I could not get them to you this afternoon, just ran out of time.

If you need extra or clearer photos, please let me know.

Regards.

Richard.

HI Richard , thanks very much for the pics, just what I needed.

as far as any spacers goes use a rubber /canvass mix  washer, dont worry about how many use one rubber against the body  and any amount of metal washer spacers to make a good fitting packing    

many wonky old bodies can take some very large packers to align with the chassis or some none at all  its very variable

pete

Hello Pete.

Am I right in thinking that the chassis is pre-drilled with a thread or is a captivated nut within the chassis box ??

Additionally, would you advocate rubber washer against the body surface AND against the chassis member with the metal "take-up" washers located between the two rubber washers ??

All the best.

Richard.

With the petrol tank out and the rear brackets for the telescopic dampers in place the space between the boot floor and the rear out riggers is now currently approx 5 mm so i can feel the 2 outrigger nut recesses and in turn match up where i have to drill the boot floor .  Im assuming the outriggers have a captive nut ?

What size bolt do I need to bolt through the boot floor ?

The boot floor has never been drilled though the recesses in the pic of the nearside boot floor more or less line up with the nut recesses in the out rigger - I will probably have to drill a larger hole in the boot floor then fill with a large washer

Really appreciate the help so far

Best regards

Paul  

post-1431-0-62651600-1476439397_thumb.jpg

most body bolts are 5/16"X24unf   torque 10-14lbft      there are a few  other sizes  elsewhere

generally only one rubber ,  more than that can make the joint too soft , the rubbers dont decouple much in the way of noise more a cushioned buttoning up  

but needs to be secure enough to stop too much body shuffle on the chassis

captive nuts are normal,  if sheared or stripped then a long  through bolt seems a fix but dont crush the rails  on many you can get inside and 

use a decent washer and nut with fiddle fingers !!

Pete

• Like 1

Hello Paul.

Got a spare slot this morning so took the photos you requested.

I stand corrected, the pipe does go up & over the side member and then down to the main chassis pretty much where the brake pipe T piece is; which I think is evident from the first set of smudges I sent you.

I think the photos explain all and hope they assist ??

Hopefully I have managed to get them the correct way for viewing; I've just started Windows 10 so still getting to grips with ALL its peculiarities :wacko: and there are a few !! Give me Windows 8 any day.

Best wishes.

Richard.

post-818-0-68019600-1476444106_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-80680000-1476444131_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-88535700-1476444154_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-93284100-1476444182_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-17559600-1476444207_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-96694700-1476444233_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-63788100-1476444259_thumb.jpg

Hello Paul.

Got a spare slot this morning so took the photos you requested.

I stand corrected, the pipe does go up & over the side member and then down to the main chassis pretty much where the brake pipe T piece is; which I think is evident from the first set of smudges I sent you.

I think the photos explain all and hope they assist ??

Hopefully I have managed to get them the correct way for viewing; I've just started Windows 10 so still getting to grips with ALL its peculiarities :wacko: and there are a few !! Give me Windows 8 any day.

Best wishes.

Richard.

Hi Richard - Many thanks for the pics - I now understand the route to take 

Best regards 

Paul 

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks to Richard & Pete - the rear bolts are now fitted and secure the boot floor to the rear chassis legs - I was able to jack the boot floor up enough to locate the location holes in the chassis legs , then drill through the boot floor - The boot floor had never been drilled ! 

post-1431-0-72997600-1478278459_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-36720100-1478278476_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

hello Richard, just to let you know that the pictures you took of the fuel pipe route for Paul have also just helped me with my car, so thank you very much.                           best wishes,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Rob

hello everyone,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           just to let you all know that i put fuel tank in place then noticed i haven't tightened nuts on rear lights. Now i can't do them up so out comes the tank again. i wish i knew what i was doing. can't wait to start on the electrics. Should be loads of fun.                                                                                                                                           Regards                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Rob