GT6 running hot on idle

hughestill

Agree with Ben, I recently had a head gasket blow on my GT6, it had previously never had an overheating  problem, even in traffic. Inside the engine I found a very old head gasket, 30 years old, completely wrecked by the overheating. It may have been faulty before hand and caused the failure. However there was also a blockage in the water pump housing water way between the pump chamber and the head inlet. It's certainly worth flushing out the block and taking a look at the water pump and it's housing.

what engine fan is currently fitted??

all our cars prefer good air movement under the bonnet when in traffic .idling etc, to keep the under bonnet ambient temp down. an engine fan does this where as electric comes on to what  its set , the engine driven is pulling air all the time ...better 

there are changes to fans over the years from 2  to 7 blades metal to plastic   whats yours called ???

Pete

Pete I have a plastic fan but I confess I haven't counted the blades. "More than 2" is all I can tell you at the moment.. I seem to recall it was a bit of an improv/bodge getting it to fit so possibly isn't the right fan, and also it's possible that as part of said improv/bodge it was fitted the wrong way round (do the engine driven fans blow instead of suck if fitted the wrong way round?). 

Top of my list to check in the morning.

Ben, Doug - when I had the block flushed they checked the water pump, thermostat and heater valves, all good apparently.

Cheers

Hugh

Cold start with rad cap off.

Revving should cause a gush of coolant into the rad head tank.

That's about it.

I fitted a Davies-Craig water pump because of overheating under stress. Ground off the vanes in the mechanical pump, so that acts now as just an idler for the alternator drive belt. Result, excellent cooling under all conditions.

John

GT6 rad header is probably one of the worst for any visual down the filler

but you should see the level drop a bit when you give it a short rev,

Dont think you cant fit a triumph plastic fan back to front it would foul the radiator as there is little clearance when its right

think last version was 7 bladed , but were there ...more

Pete

GT6 rad header is probably one of the worst for any visual down the filler

but you should see the level drop a bit when you give it a short rev,

Dont think you cant fit a triumph plastic fan back to front it would foul the radiator as there is little clearance when its right

think last version was 7 bladed , but were there ...more

Pete

Pete you're right - once I looked at it, I remembered fitting it and it was a pig - very fiddly. If I'd tried to fit it the other way round it wouldn't have.

I also checked and it is definitely sucking, not blowing, although the airflow is rubbish - mine is 8 bladed so maybe it's not a GT6 fan at all. Looks more like one stolen from a desk fan to be honest.

All that aside, I've taken the car out for a couple of longer runs (20 miles or so still counts as a longer run for me at the moment) and it runs happily at 70-80C, and only gets hotter when it's stationary. 

Therefore, I shall:

(i) Pick up a proper GT6 fan

(ii) Fit an electric fan with override switch

Then I'll be happy taking the car places where other people might be.. :-)

Cheers,

Hugh

Si

one more question for everyone!

What is the "correct" running temperature for our cars? i dont man the temperature the gauge might read, more the actual temperature from a more accurate instument like a thermometer

Hugh, if you were running between 70 and 80 degrees surely your thermostat would never be open? 82 degrees?  i know my gauge is somewhat out the thermostat opens at around 180 Fahrenheit (sorry for mixing scales!)

Aidan

BTW I realise all cars are different  - so a range?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aidan, I replaced my 82C thermostat with a 75C one so I'm guessing it's opening/closing as per Pete's post above, and doing a good job of modulating the temperature when there is cold air flowing freely.

Pete - looks like my fan is actually from a Dolomite, don't know how much difference that would have made in terms of airflow but I'm guessing pretty marginal.

I'm in the process of fitting a Revotec fan with an override switch, and there's no room to keep the orignal fan now.

Cheers,

Hugh

get it to switch in as early as possible you dont want high temp static air under the bonnet as that really upsets the mixture settings

hence my love of engine fans 

Pete

Pete,

Yep, turned it to its lowest setting and am now feeling very smug and pleased with myself.... after a few minutes panic and irritation, when I realised I hadn't put a fuse in after I'd finished wiring it in (doh!), everything works perfectly. Got the temp up to the top of the gauge due to lack of fuse, but then after the fuse went in and fan went on, I couldn't believe how quickly it brought the temperature down - almost instantly to about 95C, then left it idling (translation: annoying the neighbours..) for about 30 mins and temperature stabilised at around 80-85C.

Very pleased - thanks everyone for the advice along the way. Looking forward to getting stuck in traffic :-) !!

Cheers,

Hugh

• Like 1