Herald 13/60 spluttering

kenty1001

Hi, I have a 13/60 herald.  This runs sweet as a nut up to about 50 mph, then once you start accelerating up to 60, it coughs and splutters like mad and loses power but still revs to a fashion.  If stopped, the revs will go to max without any interference and all sounds good.  I have changed the diaphragm, condenser, points and rotor arm.  Fuel is all getting through ok as the reservoir near the engine is pushing it through fine.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you  PS Have a new coil and dissy cap ordered.

Make sure no gasket or air flilter is covering any of the ports in the carb outer face,

check the dizzy cam spindle for wear , give it a good press sideways this means the point gap is changing as the cam spindle rotates.

check the 12volt lead coil to dizzy is on the negative terminal

check the small cotton coverd lead in the dizzy which earths the base plate is sound.

dont use any spark plugs with an R in the suffix

many new condensers are empty and new makes things worse

Pete

thankyou.  Will replace the cotton covered lead tomorrow as i got some spares with the points.  I drove the car from gloucester but don't think i went over 60 anyway so the fault may have been there for some time.  No problems with air ports in the carb.  I noticed there isn't a funnel leading onto the air filter housing, don't think this should affect it but not sure.  Tomorrow is new coil and plugs day!!!!

I had a similar issue on the recent round Britain run in my 13/60.

It was losing power and running on three when the engine was on the most load,i knew the fuel system was drawing in air from somewhere because i could see bubbles in the filter,ended up changing all the rubber pipes.

Of course it was the last one that fixed the problem(the short one under the car along the chassis where two metal ones join).

Steve