Inertia front seatbelts mk1 vitesse

1904vitesse

You will need to fit car specific seat belts, GT6 belts may not be long enough.  NEVER fit secondhand belts, you don't know their history.  Although new belts may be expensive, you want them to work at their best and protect you when you really need them - what price your life?

As Kevin said - Clubshop!  That's where I would go/have been - no quibble, quality guaranteed!

Regards

Mike

Be specific when ordering as Saloon and Convertable are different also year of convertable.

I drive a 68 MK1 Vitesse con. belt mounting points on rear wheel arch,slot in rear quarter panel, and through transmission tunnel to tappings on chassis. Earlier MK1, long term project, I have mountings at front top corner of hood well and central fixing to top of tunnel, not to chassis and not sure I would trust them. The seatbelts in the car I drive are long enough as I have the seat right back so check length carefully, the belts are inertia reel but needed careful fitting to fit behind quarter panel and avoid hood frame.

Seat belts are for you and your families safety so fit carefully and do not forget the rear seat passengers. Had a picture of my Vitesse, on old forum, after some idiot turned right while coming towards me.

Regards

Paulpost-227-0-65525300-1415178148.jpg

By far the cheapest place I've found for new Securon Intertia reel seatbelts is KPC at Bury St Edmunds, I purchased a set of seatbelts for a Dolomite from them last year and was impressed with the price and speed of delivery.

They have an ebay shop under username kpconline and I'm not surpised that I found them excellent as they have 100% feedback rating with over 11,000 sales which is pretty impressive!

The securon website shows applications for Triumph see:-  http://www.securon.co.uk/applications/app_list/ttoz/seat_belts_triumph.htm

The seatbelt listed for Vitesse Fron is Securon Part number 500/30. KPC on line have these for £26.95 each on ebay at the moment with free click and collect from Argos shops.

Maybe Garth would do a price match with this from the club shop as they also sell Securon but at £41 each for the 500/30 for Vitesse, if not I'd suggest buying from KPC on ebay I would certainly recommend them and use them again if I am after any more seatbelts.

• Like 1

KCP alos have them from their shop as well as ebay, but the ebay price is better. Anyway, here is a ink to the shop page for the 500/30 as Garth may be more inclined to price match a proper shop price shop than an ebay shop price....    http://shop.kcpcarandcommercial.co.uk/epages/100080302.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/100080302/Products/%22SEC500/30%22

Any chance of a pic Mr Cookie? especially the stalk fitted in the car. I need new belts , but do not want long dangly stalks. Like the look of the 15cm versions (500/15) but they may be too short.....decisions decisions....

The ones I fitted were rear belts in the dolly, these had webbing on the sockets. Looks like the front Securons do have long dangly stalks though.

Hererare my Rear Belts in the Dolly   in+place.jpg

• 7 months later...

I am about to fit inertia seat belts to the front of my 1967 Vitesse Mk.1 saloon. Can anyone offer any advice, there seems to be various spaces etc included in the pack. I read that the inertia reel needs to be perpendicular, but the shoulder mounting is set back from that on the floor which will surely make that difficult ! 

i have fitted inertia belts from the club to my 13/60 saloon and wished i had gone for the static type as the inertia  belts retract behind the seats and are difficult to pull back over my shoulder without opening the door,also they seem uncomfortably tight.

removing the securing bolts from the mounting point can be a real b-tch of a job as they tend to sieze and have to be wound out to the last thread---if you can get some wd 40 or something on to the bolts from under the sill it might help,it took me a couple of hours just to get the bolts out.

good luck

I also found the inertia belts on the Vit6 would tighten up , they are not overly suited to the type of ride we had,

and you were constantly having to haul it out to stop it retracting and staying locked,  even thought of going back to static but we sold her before that could be 

assessed 

there are anti retract clamps available but that just add to the inconvenience , convenience of retractables

on a long run they could be a tourniquet for the shoulders   

do some homework and try some first  love em or hate em  rules apply

Pete

Good advice from Pete - I took the inertia reel belts out of my GT6 and replaced them with statics for two reasons. Firstly, there was so much drag in the system I doubt they would have ever locked. Secondly, I was forever loosening them. Happy with the decision!

Gully

Vaseline helps a lot of problems !!!!

yes with the low down keyswitch you need a good reach, 

mine were securicon, but the continual racheting up couldnt even reach the dash key never mind yours below the knee's 

and just picked up my new C4 Picasso with stop start,  so press button to stop , yes, remove key fob,   yes ,  unclip seat belt and the blasted engine starts and wont stop as the keyfobs missing......technology gone mad 

but it  has really light belt tension.

when we got the T2000 the belts had been replace to pass a previous MOT and they were too short and fully unreeled at 

normal (well  my sort of normal) sitting    so they are spares in the lost cupboard,

cant use in the back as the reel pendlum is not adjustable .   vertical only ....need a good home 

Pete

I have inertia reels in my Herald, supplied by Fitchett's, and they have been fine. I dispensed with the original Stanpart floor mounts at the bottom of the B post because the floor had corroded there and I had welded new steel in when I rebuilt the body. The reels still mount there, but with the bolts and nyloc nuts supplied in the kit through new 1/8 steel spreader plates.

I did have trouble initially with the reels locking on anything except a dead flat surface, until I realised that the two wedgy-shaped plates supplied in the kit were there to sit behind the reel to bring it to ninety degrees to the horizontal. Once I sussed that out, they worked fine. Top mounts are using some longer seatbelt bolts from a modern, drilled through the threaded steel block that was already there at the top of the convertible B post, with big washers and nylocs, and I continuously welded all the B post steelwork in this area when I did the body. The centre block the belts lock into is best fitted by dropping the prop shaft and having a helper on the bolt, while you do the up the nyloc underneath. It is a sod to do solo!

One absolutely infuriating aspect of having the inertia reels is that if you need to take them out to do any maintenance, they will roll up and lock solid, unless you hold them vertical, and very patiently and gently ease out the belt so that you can refit it.

Statics are, in many ways a simpler option, but they look untidy when parked, and have to be correctly adjusted, and you can't lean forward to see out of junctions. Also the original Stanpart ones are now so old that they are often frayed and an MOT fail.  On balance, I prefer the inertias, despite their annoying foibles.

Regards

Steve C