Disc shields

mikeyb

Hello folks, visited the Restoration Show at Shepton Mallet last weekend, and saw a special (probably an Arrow) with Herald front suspension.  The brake disc shields were not fitted which got me thinking........how necessary are they?  I really can't see a valid reason to keep them, they get bent, rust, get in the way when working on the brakes etc etc.  Can't see that they improve brake cooling, surely the contrary?  Can anyone enlighten me, or has anyone taken them off and noticed any difference?  Cheers all, Mike.

Well, that was the only reason that I could come up with as well Pete, but as pads run so close to the discs, which helps to keep them clean ,coupled with the fact that no motorcycle I have ever owned has had them, I reckon their worth is debatable.  Mike.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The other (and more important) reason for the shield is to protect the ball joints (particularly the lower) from brake heat.

There is a risk that radiation from a hot disc will damage the ball joint boot, and affect the grease in the joint.

I love the idea that the brake discs need to be protected, "from water and road dirt"

Bless 'em!   Ickle woollen bootikins next?  And a so'wester?

Especially when they are otherwise faced by the most abrasive substance known to Man - Brake pads!

John

• Like 1

Just had lunch at the Land's End Pub, it's not strictly land's end but right next to a river ford. There's a pole thoughtfully marked in height levels, unfortunately, not clearly marked as to feet or metres! The foolhardy frequently mistake 1.5 for feet!

Pete,

How would disc shields keep the water in a ford off them?  Perhaps wellies instead of bootees?

Doug,

No, a fast wheel nut would have kinetic energy, that would be partly converted to heat if it struck something.

But partly conserved as it bounced off.

If  all that energy were absorbed in a glass of water (300mls?) it would heat the water 7C.

But if it struck something soft, all the energy would be converted to OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

I have not run shields since I had my first spitfire, 26 years ago. Generally chopped them off (they can be removed more carefully, but then require washers as distance pieces to keep everything in line)

like Tom, I now run vested discs. I must say after the (short) track laps at spa the brakes on the spitfire were getting rather hot, but it was being thrashed with no mercy at all (only got overtaken once, by a newish 400bhp corvette....)