Toe in the easy way

measuring string lines to 0.5 mm is pretty good  

I'll stick to some wickes planks   ha 

you need to swap some shims to get the rear parallel with the centre line 

another  trick just place a long timber  6ft  against the rear wheels and sight the alignment to the cill 

does show easy which way the alignment needs to sit .

Pete

This is NASA we're talking about they wouldn't use planks they would have spent millions to design a set of straight edges that were light and met their strict specifications. They'd have gone to Walmart.

I checked mine today using the roof bars for the Yeti. Very professional looking.😁 The results have been passed to the number crunching department for analysis. Well, l'll look at them properly tomorrow 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

remind me of truck production on line the 8x4 they had lumps of iron and chalk marks all set up by a guy on whacky bacy and one eye   it never worked well 

to check it out we had a all singing optical unit ,  by the time you had it set up  a tape and some dexion proved fool proof in minutes 

Pete

On 21/02/2021 at 17:52, PeteH said:

The "planks" in most Walmart, are of the "thick as two short", variety often still in the "jim-jams", OR hugely obese wearing bright yellow tights.!

Pete

They are also known as "Walmartians" ..... :) 

Tony.

39664.jpg

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 06/03/2021 at 13:09, Badwolf said:

Didn't NASA crash a probe years back because it was originally programmed in imperial measurements but they sent the course corrections in metric (or something like that)

Indeed.  About the same time, after years of trying to get our US plants to build equipment for Europe in Metric and a disastrous cost crisis when they even ordered Metric steel specially from Europe, by air, when all we wanted was Metric nuts and bolts etc.  But having got the change to metric nuts and bolts done all went quiet until Europe changed the safety criteria for production machinery.  "No problem", said our heroes, "we can do that."  Nine months later I fly over to see the first production batch, which met the EU spec.  Just as a joke I said "Safety and Metric!  Cool!".  Long faces - "Do you mean you wanted us to stick with metric nuts and bolts again for Europe and Asia?"  Inevitably it got a model suffix "ML" for Mars Lander.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 19:59, Chris A said:

This is NASA we're talking about they wouldn't use planks they would have spent millions to design a set of straight edges that were light and met their strict specifications. They'd have gone to Walmart.

I checked mine today using the roof bars for the Yeti. Very professional looking.😁 The results have been passed to the number crunching department for analysis. Well, l'll look at them properly tomorrow 🤔

Someone claimed that was why the Hubble telescope was fuzzy...  the mirror was ground by a metric company but the lens was done in Imperial (maybe the other way round). That's why they were able to fix it using software as the error could be corrected mathematically...

Again.. I can't find proof but since when were facts ever necessary when make decisions about multi-million dollar projects, trade unions or elections in general?

😄

9 minutes ago, DVD3500 said:

Someone claimed that was why the Hubble telescope was fuzzy...  the mirror was ground by a metric company but the lens was done in Imperial (maybe the other way round). That's why they were able to fix it using software as the error could be corrected mathematically...

Again.. I can't find proof but since when were facts ever necessary when make decisions about multi-million dollar projects, trade unions or elections in general?

😄

And I always thought, they sent a guy up in a space suit and a tin of G5, to polish the defect out?. 😁

Pete

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DVD3500 said:

Quite. When someone starts to so "the fact of the matter is...' they are about to tell a whopper!

37 minutes ago, DVD3500 said:

Someone claimed that was why the Hubble telescope was fuzzy.

Complete nonsense.

The problem was an out of calibration machine that the operators hadn't checked. And when the QA was done, the readings were too far out to be believable so that machine got ignored.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

Complete nonsense.

The problem was an out of calibration machine that the operators hadn't checked. And when the QA was done, the readings were too far out to be believable so that machine got ignored.

See! If you want to know the RIGHT answer simply state the WRONG one!

Correction comes faster than advice sometimes! 😄