Herald fuel tank

Timo

Can the fuel pipe from the tank leak air and stop any fuel from being draw up by the pump only I am getting no fuel feed to the pump, I can't even draw any from the tank by sucking on a pipe.

The car has had a long layup and all pipes are clear and unblocked.

there are a nmber of hose links which with age can go very hard and allow air to get sucked in but not always leak fuel out

the best culprit is the length of hose from the tank suction/reserve outlet in the boot .it above fuel level so  only leaks on drain back 

i would start at the boot and work forwards

be careful sucking its not good stuff in the mouth ,  make  a jam jar trap or link up a tube from the vacuum cleaner if possible a rubber  priming bulb is best 

and dont get petrol fumes near the vac motor !!!!

You say the pipes are clear but there has to be a blockage if you haven't got a mouth full of fuel! :P  I used strimmer cord to dyno-rod my pipes, works very well. The rubber bits in my fuel line went squishy, not hard, they were like plasticine, squeeze them and they stayed squeezed. Another thing is debris in the tank floating about and periodically blocking the out let.

I have just removed the tube into the tank and there is no rubber o ring and I think the tube in the tank has been cut it is only 25cm in total so only 20 cm or 8 inches in the tank- does any know the correct length for a 12/50 saloon 65?

you can make a tube form bundy/cunifer pipe , the reserve is only usefull if you run out of fuel frequently, so if you eliminate the resv lever a simple tube with an olive

in the tank union ( where  the pipe  swivels)will replace it quite easily.

make it end about 20mm from bottom of the tank

pete