GT6 Mk1-2 Tailgate Lock

AidanT

Hi again

So more help please

Mana remove the pin this evening however there is a metal slide that moves across with the keY turning and either way it protrudes from the chrome body. The locking mechanism will therefore still not come out Can you advise if and how I get this slide out. It's about 5 mm square

Aidan

So. Just in case others are interested, there are in fact two pins. The one shown above only holds the square section bar into the back of the lock The second pin is further up and is offset ie it does not go through the middle. Anyway this came out reasonably easily and I was at last able to get the lock mechanism out

Anyway after all that my door key is too wide to fit in the lock aperture so I have. Cleaned up everything lubricated it with graphite powder and put back together

At least it's been cleaned up!!

Aidan

Hi All

Moving on to the Door lock barrels  - how do these come apart?

I have removed a spring clip to reveal a pin but i don't seem able to pull the b***er out? Am i doing this wrong?  Asyou can see the end is what seems to be riveted in so unless this has to be cut I am struggling to get anywhere close to removing the barrel

Pictures attached

Aidan 

post-170-0-94562800-1487419900_thumb.jpg

post-170-0-73368500-1487420192_thumb.jpg

Hello Aidan.

I think the rivet is an interference fit, so it will be in super tight which is the purpose and of course add a few years of dust & dirt even more so.

Unless you can see a pin that goes through the rivet at 90 degrees you could be struggling. If there is a pin and I am sure you will have seen that by now, it will require drifting out this would release the rivet. I'm not sure that the lock company will have gone to such elaborate lengths to engineer that.

However, I feel that the rivet is in there via interference - which is a problem. I'm not even sure you could lever the rivet up.

Be interested to hear how you get on and perhaps the show, tomorrow, may throw up some spares ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard

Well i couldn't just leave it there!  so unfortunately I have damaged the original barrel, which I can live with as I was going to buy a new set for all three doors anyway - Canleys sell a set, I just hope they fit!

Anyway FYI, the pin has to come out. Its drifted in through the rivet, but it also fits inside a slot in in end of the barrel. If I had got it out, all would have been fine but....

Trying to pull the rivet out of the end broke the casting of the barrel so from the pic below you can see the slot is now an opening!!!   :wub:

No idea now the Henry you are supposed to get the pin out - I managed once it had all come apart as you say to drift it out but with a claw hammer and drift (Reminds me to put some drifts on my Stoneleigh shopping list) 

So new barrel set and I should be OK, I guess I will have to break the barrel on the other side (Ha WHAT FUN)

Aidan

post-170-0-31574400-1487427884_thumb.jpg

So

From Canleys I have found out that the nut type are aftermarket and required the hole in the door skin enlarging. Does anyone know by now much?

My thinking now is if the holes are too enlarged I will still buy their kit and fit the aftermarket locking system to the new locks that are in the kit

This is dependant on how much bigger the holes are in the door skin. Can anyone tell me the diameter of the original door locks please?

Thanks

Aidan

Aidan.

Good to catch up at the Triumph Show yesterday.

It may be worth giving either Rimmers or Canleys a buzz and see if they will measure a door lock for you. I have to say, they are usually happy to assist with such matters.

Good luck.

Richard.

So small update

Canleys are going to purchase a kit to measure the actual size and see what is included

Rimmers came back with 18 mm for both, but i am not sure how accurate that is

Paddocks yet to respond

Paddocks now responded with " I can tell you that you have to enlarge to hole slightly to fix the nut fix version of the lock 621773PX but unsure by exactly how much."

I was told by someone selling a clip type on fleabay the clip type is 16 mm which I think is about right

So I hope that Canley's will be helpful and confirm

I may yet resolve!

all a bit of wait and see at the moment

Aidan

• 2 weeks later...

Final entry for this thread.

After a kit purchase from Canleys I now have one key for all my door locks and ignition. The kit came with the whole door lock, barrels lever and outer in the spring clip format.

With another purchase from eBay I purchased an aftermarket locking kit which is actually an excellent solution to locks turning in the door skin and easier to fit than the nut type. This kit is simple made up of a large washer two long grub screws and a horse shoe type washer that fits in the spring clip recess. It holds the lock in tightly

The eBay item number is

All done and working

Aidan

Hello Aidan.

Excellent news and well done.

Can you post your EBay purchase link please, it may prove of benefit to others.

Many thanks and all the best.

Richard.