EP90 , GL4 or GL5

Paul H

1 minute ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi,

You are correct. brass is a yellow metal.
I must admit I never read before posting. It does not change that today "The thing about GL5 oils attacking yellow metals is based on out of date information.".
The data you posted is out of date.

Cheers,

Iain.

Did you also fail to spot that it was revised in June 2020 to contain up to date information.

Iain,

If you want to use GL5 oil, then that is your prerogative, and your risk.

Many others, myself included, will stick with GL4 oil as its readily available, similarly priced, and has a long track history of being suitable for our cars.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Is it Mimosa?!! :)

Excellent!

Just drive it dude.

Doug

Doug,

I think the colour is a bit closer to Saffron than Mimosa - unless its been exposed to too much of the one of the problem GL5 compositions, in which case it could be black.

• Haha 1

Amsoil did some research and testing of GL5 oils back in 2007 (ok, that's a few years ago, but not that long ago) and found several oils that corroded yellow metals.

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/brochures/g2457_gearlube_study.pdf

It wasn't a study of every GL5 oil on the market, and focussed on those available in the USA rather than the UK, but personally I would want to see the results of the same set of tests performed on any GL5 oil that someone was trying to persuade me to put in my Triumph gearbox or differential.

4 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Andy Cook's car is Saffron, he may be the GT6 registrar, but his car's not as pretty as mine.

(see below)

Doug

Andy Cook's car is a rather odd shade of Saffron - its more a cross between Saffron and Mimosa - It's a lot yellower than an original Triumph Saffron paint job.

31 minutes ago, KevinR said:

Did you also fail to spot that it was revised in June 2020 to contain up to date information.

I saw it said June 2020.

Good we are discussing it & not deleting posts.
Note that in a gearbox the GL5 must be suitable for synchromesh gearboxes. GL5 is not a problem in a diff.

Cheers,

Iain.

2 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

Note that in a gearbox the GL5 must be suitable for synchromesh gearboxes. GL5 is not a problem in a diff.

Cheers,

Iain.

Well, there is no way I'm going to have a stock of each when one will do both jobs.

8 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Cheers,

Iain.

How can all GL5s be ok for the diff when theres yellow metal in it like the gearboxes? We're getting to a logical conclusion but its painfully slow😄

18 minutes ago, johny said:

How can all GL5s be ok for the diff when theres yellow metal in it like the gearboxes? We're getting to a logical conclusion but its painfully slow😄

Simple. GL5 does not automatically mean it will attack yellow metals. Many (most?? all??) are yellow metal safe. 

The gearbox thing is down to synchromesh rather. 

I keep things simple. 

Triumphs I use 80/90 GL4 for box and diff. Have done for 30 years. 

T9 box I use semi synthetic 75-90 GL4 (as per the company who builds the best T9 boxes recommends)

Subaru diff I am using a Redline Heavy GL5 oil. Seems to like it!

36 minutes ago, johny said:

So I think we can finally put the subject to bed and the advice stands: if youre going to use a GL5 for yellow metals confirm that that particular one is recommended for them🙌

for the diff, yes. For the gearbox, you need to check it is ok for synchomesh gearboxes. 

Simple solution is to use GL4 which works perfectly well.

I could muddy the waters by saying GL4 is no guarantee taht an oil is yellow metal safe...... but I expect all are now. Maybe avoid the cheap/unknown brands, but that applies to all oils.

Debate regarding the GL4 /5 seem to focus on the issue of whether or not GL5 , in this particular application, could be disadvantageous ?

To make my decision, I turned the question around, asking instead:

“In this situation, is there evidence that using GL5  is advantageous ?”

The answer  seemed to  be  “No”

…Therefore  I chose GL4.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

Debate regarding the GL4 /5 seem to focus on the issue of whether or not GL5 , in this particular application, could be disadvantageous ?

To make my decision, I turned the question around, asking instead:

“In this situation, is there evidence that using GL5  is advantageous ?”

The answer  seemed to  be  “No”

…Therefore  I chose GL4.

I think youre probably right but for racing applications or a serious increase in HP/torque the appropriate GL5 might offer help in prolonging the life of some parts in the drive train...

6 minutes ago, johny said:

I think youre probably right but for racing applications or a serious increase in HP/torque the appropriate GL5 might offer help in prolonging the life of some parts in the drive train...

My decision was appropriate for the needs of the vehicle and its  intended use.

I don’t intend trying to increase the power of engine;

There  is not even a remote prospect of me going racing!

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

The only racing I do is to the toilet when I have a stomach bug!

Your doing well. I do find myself getting caught on the hop. Especially near a loo or home when it comes on massive for some phycological reason. Key fumbling in the front door, undoing my pants going up the stairs, still don't always quite make it.

Apologies for too much information (though maybe better than being anal?)