Vitesse hardtop and tonneau instead of hood?

ShaunBillBrown

Hi all,

I failed to find this in the search function so starting a new topic (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have a usable (if scruffy) hardtop for my Vitesse Convertible and, before I pull off the hood and take the frame out, are there any reasons why you'd keep the hood instead of hardtop and full tonneau aside from personal preference? I quite like how the hardtop looks and the interior light would be useful.

Also, if anyone has a smart idea for attaching the hardtop with some quick release mechanism instead of the j-bolts I'd be grateful!

Thanks,

Shaun

post-1882-0-75586100-1488198344_thumb.jpg

post-1882-0-27316600-1488198418_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the cars usage. 

I ran my vitesse as an everyday car for many many years, and bought a hardtop to use over the winter. However, after one winter I sold it on as I just didn't like it. I loved to be able to drop the hood on a dry winters day.

And for year round use, it would mean not using the car unless you could be pretty certain the weather would remain dry. If you intend going away for a holiday or weekend, that is a big risk in this country. But if you just use it locally it could work for you.

As to speed of clips, really as above, wing nuts take a few seconds each. Nothing compared to the time required to get the second pweson usually needed and find somewhere to leave the hardtop. Unless garaged, but then just leave the top off all summer.

Hi,

I agree with both the above.   My query would be why do you need to remove the hood and frame?  I thought that the hard top could be fitted with the hood assembly remaining in situ, such that you get the best of both worlds.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

That's why I mentioned the full tonneau; just make your mind up before you head out. My header rail is a bit of a mess, the hood is poorly fitted and I can't get shut the doors with the windows fully up and not sure what to do about the frame. It just occurred to me that I could do without it, being short on skills and means as I am, and with it being deadweight I could just take it out.

Just a thought, grateful for your comments.

Shaun

Hi Shaun

If you have a knackered header rail, windows that won't wind up with the hood up, and a shrunken hood thatno longer fits,then you will be in for a lot of work to replace the header, re-adjust and reposition the frame and seals and, fit a new hood. The more forgiving "squidgy" seals on your Honybourne hard top will probably fit a lot better, and you will be more watertight if the heavens open, as they are wont to do whenever you drive a convertible in Britain.

Convertibles are very pretty, and great on the few days a year we get when good weather conincides with taking them out. The rest of the time they are a pain in the backside (and I own one..) In our climate, a saloon with a sunroof is a lot more practical!

Regards

Steve