GT6 MkI cylinder head - what have I got?

Joachim Moeller

Hi, I have a spare cylinder head (supposed to be for a GT6) that has the following number stamped on the manifold side : 512425. The raised number on top of the head is identified (well sort of) as : 3 0 8(or6) 4 7 8(or5). Is anybody able to highlight what I've got? Mainly to make sure it is a 2000cc head. Thanks to all. Joachim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Merry Xmas Dick and the best wishes for 2015,

I will double check the dimensions of the head as last time I've used an odd chinese imperial measure (as it's difficult to get non metric things over here in Germany- as long as it is not plumbing stuff). It just started to snow , so work on the car will have to wait anyway...

Happy New Year

Joachim

Joachim,

A number stamped on the head in the factory tells you what it was intended for in the factory.

How do you know what has been done to the head ever since?

You measure the chambers.   Easy to do so, with a burette and glass cover square.   Then whatever reshaping of chambers and skimming of the head that has been done since, you can be certain what their volume is.   Measuring the stroke volume of the block needs merely the measurement of bore and stroke, simple to be sure of the numbers.  Then you can work out the CR.

If you need more detail, may I suggest my own article on this?:  http://www.totallytriumph.net/spitfire/skimming_your_head.shtml

JOhn

Thank you John for your information input and especially for the link to your article. Initially I wanted to make sure that the head I've got is for a GT6 MkI and not for a 1600 Vitesse (as I think those where different). Once I'm sure it is for a GT6 it makes sense to start work on it.

Best wishes for 2015

Joachim