Tutorial days , advice on basic twiddling

Pete Lewis

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I know I'm reviving the old thread but it may be relevant. I've been doing some background reading on Distributors. When we attended if I recall correctly Aidan had wandering timing on idle. This may be duff information but I found a thread which said if the distributor float is too small it can lead to irregular timing. Now to my daft question.

I have a brand new dizzy from the club shop. If I get No.1 TDC with I think its 13 degrees advance what do I do with the dizzy - I know it only fits the drive gear one way SO, I haven't as yet checked if the dizzy has a particular mark for orientation but do I need to twist the dizzy drive to a mark before inserting it to the drive gear slot and consequently do I need to get the drive cog slot orientated to coincide with dizzy drive before putting it all together OR do I just shove it in and attach the leads (obviously in order).  (I have sorted my float requirements (just need 3 No. 0.06 gaskets.  I thought it would be simpler to ask my question here than start a new thread.

Thanks

Adrian

Thedrive skew gear can be removed and dropped back in indexing the position of the off set drive slot  but check the orientaion of the two 

Distributors if made to the right spec the  drive dog blades and rotor should both be the same which allows a straight swap

You need to remove a spark plug and stick thumb over the hole, turn engine tillmair is pressed past your thumb, then you know

You are on no1 compression stroke , turn tomline up the tdc markers   drop the dizzy in , do check the clamp diameter is the same

(This can vary between lucas and delco )   with the cap off  check where the rotor is pointing this is where no1 lead needs to be fitted

Follow the firing order anticlockwise,   now set your 13 deg btc and clamp the base 

If the drive gear is incorrectly positioned the is a set method in the manuals,  but its only to control where the vac unit sits so there is no

fouling 

For

Firing order 6cy  153624

4cy  1342 

All dizzy turn and need lead order to be anticlockwise 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

On 9/19/2017 at 9:07 AM, Adrian said:

It was discussed that the older Couriers contained more how to guides.

Back in the old black and white days (!) it seemed there was a lot more hands-on stuff, but I've leafed through a few older copies and there are as many drive-it and member's cars features as there are technical articles. There used to be a technical section, where members submitted their car-related queries or problems, but that's just the pre-internet version of this forum. With so many Internet sites and forums to chose from information and especially photographic guides abound.  I know that when writing articles I try to vary between practical things and fun things, as there are quite a few members who don't really need to delve under their bonnets but just prefer to drive and enjoy their cars. With three Triumphs in non-roadworthy condition in my garage, I often wish I'd left mine alone too. 

Does anyone remember the Spitfire Service video that came out in the early 1990s, with the guy in the boiler suit talking to the camera? Quite informative in some ways, but it helped send the children to sleep too... maybe we should commission an up to date version?

we started to develop a happy version with Garth , Pete and Ray, it  took more time than i have , we made a diary of events to video, and cant remember the total hours but would have taken far to many visits to the chassis in club shop ,taking 3 months to work through all the servicing  needs , so we escaped and jumped ship

Ive made a good few in house video's at work with fumble fingers and hammy antics it takes far too long easy to make it dull and boring, 

if anyones awake look at youtube  RB44  production video which was a homemade with no equipment we made at Dodge loaded by a owner copied from VHS to CD and uploaded , hence the deteriated presentation but you see why keeping it light and happy is something you need to be trained into  

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjag4aq7pDYAhXKLMAKHa8mApkQtwIINDAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DA9W0RSDbERU&usg=AOvVaw1sJ-1gj7ctSyHlTsFVoNsZ

much easier to get someone to film the next twiddle day, live is light,     to a   script is boring

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2017 at 10:57 PM, Adrian said:

Hi all, I know I'm reviving the old thread but it may be relevant. I've been doing some background reading on Distributors.

I once read an ad in Practical Classics for "distributors wanted". At that time I had about a dozen or so unwanted units and was already mentally adding up the profits made by selling them to him when I re-read the ad - thankfully before I made a fool of myself - and realised he wanted distributors for a product he was making... :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I just wanted to add a note for everyone, mine was the GT6 that did not want to play when it came down to strobe timing!  Well I am still not 100% on whether this is why but when I took the no 1 plug out, it was very black and coked up. After cleaning and returning it my strobe worked perfectly and the timing was spot on 8 degrees BTDC 

Aidan 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I will be proposing a date very soon for twiddle day 2

As its twiddle not full strip downs , some subject no doubt will be repeated with help on any cars in trouble 

Watch this space    just need to fit in with HQ ,   my holidays and pension days Ha!

Pete

• Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...

Twiddle Day 2  is on  

location    club HQ   post code  LE16 9TF

map  https://goo.gl/maps/SHFHMr8o6Ho

Date time     10am  MAY 20TH  

SUBJECT WILL BE ADHOC  DEPENDS WHAT PROBLEMS ARRIVE 

WE WILL BRING SOME INTERESTING STUFF WITH US TO CHAT ABOUT 

THIS IS ALL ABOUT TWIDDLING ,  bright ideas  , ways of problem solving   SETTINGS SPECS , NOT REBUILDS OR MAJOR WORKS 

KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR ANY UPDATES ON HERE OR IN THE NEXT COURIER ISSUE

Bern will be manning the BBQ burgers etc at HQ rates so refreshments will be available at a small cost   (tba)

looking forward to a sunny chatty day out  

if youre wanting to attend please reply here  or drop club a email    info@tssc.org.uk

Pete and Ray 

Pete & Ray,

I would love to attend again however, I suspect there will be more interest after the success of the last one. In which case I would be disappointed, but happy to stand down if the numbers get to be too many. Must remember to leave my wallet at home in case the lure of the club shop proves too much.

Doug

7 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Pete & Ray,

I would love to attend again however, I suspect there will be more interest after the success of the last one. In which case I would be disappointed, but happy to stand down if the numbers get to be too many. Must remember to leave my wallet at home in case the lure of the club shop proves too much.

Doug

Nice to see you though fella. If it gets bigger then hopefully more dates can be added, or a full weekend with accommodation. The worlds our Oyster. From small seeds Trees are grown. ( end of metaphor over load )