Inlet Manifold Water Pipe

Darren Groves

So now the Herald is running EFI, the water pipe that used to run through the inlet manifold to warm it is now not needed. To keep things circulating I just used rubber hose to maintain the circuit (see pic).

So what are my options to get rid of this pipe completely? If I just removed it and replaced the t-piece by the heater valve with a straight connector, that would stop circulation I guess? So what if I used the blanking plug which is at the back of the cylinder head to join into this t-piece by the heater valve, would that keep the flow correct to the heater?

post-31-0-71352200-1489329056_thumb.jpg

Darren

Thanks Pete.

I was trying to work out how the early Herald's were plumbed as they didnt have the heated inlet manifold and one of the heater valve hoses go direct to the head.

I was hoping that if I could find a way to lose this hose I could have the 2 temp senders (1 for the gauge, 1 for the EFI) side by side in the water pump housing, would just be neater.

Darren

Some marques wsm show the coolant flow , dont think triumph do ,

will have a search in the morning

But tracing how the flow goes there must be a route to allow some flow from say the back of the head to the input to the pump when stat and heater is closed

if you can fathom a way you can loose the extra pipe

pete

yes early non heated manifold cars seem to have just heater connections from rear of head to valve and heater outlet to the under manifold return to the back of the pump

no other complications ,  what happens when the stat is shut heck knows  there are no circulation clues in any of my manuals only a rough clue on heated

mani .

post-14-0-53241300-1489393552_thumb.jpg

Never ever try one of those meaty-stick cat-treat things. Not even after a few beers. They may look vaguely like beef jerky or bacon, but believe me they're not.

With regards to the water flow: it goes from the radiator into the engine, out of the engine and back to the radiator just as a loop.

The heater is a second loop added to the system - water is diverted through the heater when the valve is open and back to the original loop when closed.

The manifold pipe is therefore merely a third loop in the system with a flow restrictor (the small hole inside the pipe at the t-piece joint) to prevent too much of the flow being diverted from the hotter engine parts. Removing it won't cause any problems - as you say a straight pipe where the t-piece is will allow the water to maintain the original loop and won't affect the flow or the temperature, which should be regulated by the thermostat. Have a look at the Herald 1200 system and this is the sort of end result you want - no manifold pipe, just a basic set of pipes to head and heater.

Thanks Pete & Colin.

Ok, so if I plumb as per 1200 that does away with the pipe I don't want, but the under manifold water pipe on a 13/60 has a t-piece were the 1200 one doesn't.

So options would be to blank off one of the T's and have no circulation when the heater valve is closed, or 'T' into the head to heater valve hose and create a route for the water.

I wonder why the circulation when the heater valve was closed was added to the later cars?

Cheers

Darren

may be we now need a Pet section  ????

so its dump the hose then  but how it circulates with the stat shut will remain  one of lifes unkown  none of the schematics show this .

well i dont see it 

back to the cat food.    maybe a cabonara with  sprinkle of catnip  

Pete

There are a few clues in this month's Courier, albeit focused on the various Vitesse developmental changes. The switch from non heated Solex inlet manifold to heated Stromberg one is highlighted, including the pipework alterations.

Gully

Thanks all.

Will go for the 1200 heater set-up and blank off the extra end.

Next question....Whenever I refill the coolant, I always have to raise the front end as high as possible to get it into the heater the rad sits lower when on the level. The process would be easier if the top heater hose had some kind of filler. Anyone tried doing this?

Darren

On some trucks there is a bleed valve set in the top hose , bit like a screw in tyre valve idea.

on most heralds a quick release of the top heater hose connection will allow air locks out

just pull it apart a little and pop it on when coolant leaks out. Give it a fast idle at same time

pete

On the 13/60 the water flows from the thermostat into the inlet manifold water pipe. At the heater end of the pipe there is a restricted flow heater bypass route. The non-restricted flow is fed to the heater valve and when its valve is opened this is fed through the heater matrix. Both the heater output and the restricted water flow are then fed back via the return pipe behind the exhaust manifold to the lower section of the water pump housing.

There is a clever bit of thinking in all of this. That is in the Winter you need more heat applied to the inlet manifold than in the Summer. The result of using the heater, which you would do in the Winter, is to increase the hot water flow through the inlet manifold and thereby increasing the heat applied.

The same idea is used on the six cylinder engines fitted with a water heater manifold. i.e Not the Vanguard 6 or pre mid 1965 Vitesse 6.

Dave