Noisy Smiths Heater Blower Motor - Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

The Micra fans spin the correct way, it's the VW fan that some have used which spins the wrong way but there's no point reversing it as the fins are angled for one direction only. Both fans need modification of the heater box.

I have used a VW fan in the past and now use a Micra one, you can read about it here: http://triumphherald1360.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/heater-fanblower.html

Darren

• Like 2

Darren.

That's a very good write-up and seems straight forward.  Definitely worth considering.

Many thanks for sharing it.

Regards.

Richard.

Am I correct that the motor you require comes from 1993 - 2003 models? The later model (plus the even later one from 2013 on) is a circular body rather than the triangular version in the photos - I must get hold of one and see how it compares. As classiclife says definitely worth considering given the age and condition of some of the originals. I must do some research.... thanks Darren.

Paul.

This may be better and with an offer + free p&p it has to be worth a £10 - £12 shot !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331950109763?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - thanks for the link - purchased it for £10.00 !!! I will advise on the fitting progress 

Paul 

• Like 1

The £10 delivered Nisan Micra blower motor has arrived and the pic shows them side by side , My thoughts are that the Micra blower will fit but it will be a very tight squeeze - its obvious from the pic the increased surface area of the fan so the output will be significantly improved and the air might even hit the windscreen . ;)

It wont be a case of simply opening the aperture equally to fit the Micra blower as there isnt enough room on the left hand side inner skin, so much more fettling on the right hand side to take the new heater motor .

As usual this is a bigger job than I thought so will be checking both motors are working and going in the right direction , lubricating the Smiths as Pete suggested and putting this one back with the Micra going in later in the year 

Regards

Paul 

post-1431-0-74544700-1489841107_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-53987900-1489841135_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just checked both motors and wow !! the output of the Micra is at least twice the Smiths -

a word of warning make the sure both motors are secured using a vice when testing - just got the tea shirt testing the micra blower !! 

Newbie question , how to I check the amps drawn when the Micra is operating ? and could this be an issue for the existing wiring .

I have a test meter of sorts 

Paul 

• Like 1

Paul.

If the Micra has a label on it it may show the watts.

If so, watts divided by volts will give you the amp requirement.

Regards.

Richard.

Now that looks like it could make a substantial improvement in clearing the screen on those steamy days... 

Does anyone know if the same motor can be used in a Spitfire MKIV - the part numbers seem to differ but not sure what the physical differences are.

I recognise the Spit is a two speed fan and we are looking at a single here but one decent speed is good enough.

Hello.

There is, what appears to be a decent casing up for auction on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-HERALD-VITESSE-HEATER-BOX-/222445735026?hash=item33cacc8c72:g:b2sAAOSwnNBXUHi9

Perhaps worth a purchase if considering such a conversion, without stripping your own unit out first, whilst constructing for bench test purposes.

Just a thought.

Richard.