Drive train overhaul on GT6 Mk III

Qu1ckn1ck

I currently have severe oil leaks from the gearbox (speedo cable entry) and differential (near side drive shaft seal) plus the added irritation of a sticking clutch.  Apart from the leaks, the gearbox, overdrive and differential are quiet and appear to be in good mechanical order.  I also need to lower the rear as I am told the car has been incorrectly fitted with a Vitesse rear spring.

I am looking for recommendations as to who could carry out this work quickly and effectively in the vicinity of North Herts.  Has anyone had any experience of Robsport International at Shepreth/Melbourn ?

Robsport rebuilt my diff and replaced the clutch on my GT6 last year - all good. They fitted a reconditioned gearbox too (which I supplied) - no problem with the fitting, but the 'box itself caused some problems completely unconnected with Robsport's work.

They are not the cheapest and will probably send all your components away for overhaul, but can't fault their work. They also fitted the CV conversion to my car when the rubber doughnuts deteriorated and fitted a new rear spring to overcome the 40 year sag!

Worth giving Simon a call - they usually have a waiting list of a few weeks.

Gully

• Like 1

post-139-0-35744000-1489652167_thumb.jpg

This shows you the differences between various rear springs.

I'd suggest that the stiffer Vitesse spring is better for performance, as it will limit suspension travel, avoiding extremes of camber change, and that lowering the car by a spacer between the spring and the diff will be more effective than seeking a new spring.

John

• Like 1

Nick,   so we know,  can you count the no.  of  leaves on yours  ???

Pete

It is a brand new spring and I have counted six leaves.  A partial reading of the Canley label on the spring reads "... WOR020623...".  

Six leaves appears correct for a GT6 Mk3 so it looks like I may have been fed "fake news" when informed it had the wrong spring fitted.

Finally freed the clutch today and got the GT6 round to Tony Solich who will now tackle the transmission faults from the leaking diff and gearbox to the sticking clutch.

Despite finding that the NEW rear spring fitted is the six blade GT6 version, the car stands high at the rear and has minimal rear negative camber so I am taking JohnD and Pete's advice and fitting a 3/4" spacer and new studs between diff and spring.

Target is to get the GT6 back on the road within two weeks  with it's incontinence problems resolved.

17435911_1210799452366098_2272832801711317434669_1210799655699411_40165636335639

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!  Your own two-post?   Green with envy!

If you're lowering it, I'd turn that pipe clamp on the exhaust around - nuts on top. It's unlikely to ground, but you don't want it torn off.

Nice car!

John

Thanks John,  not exactly my two-post but my cars have spent a large amount of time on there so I can probably claim squatters rights.

Nick