Triumph 2500 Headlights

sulzerman

Paul.

Try this, hopefully it will transfer to the Forum page:

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/images/HeadlightRelayWiringDiagram.jpg

If not, try the actual page: http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/WiringHeadlightRelays.htm which contains the jpeg.

It's an American document, so a bit long winded but all the relevant info is there.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

LED is a whole different ball game and IMHO I think sticking with the "H" series conversion is the way forward.

Quality bulbs with quality lamp units is all you need.

Good luck.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

LED is a whole different ball game and IMHO I think sticking with the "H" series conversion is the way forward.

Quality bulbs with quality lamp units is all you need.

Good luck.

Richard.

Hi Richard Crystal Lamps ordered. Thanks for advice . The Rowland article was excellent especially with the diagram . Would you agree with 20 amp relays ? I have an overdrive relay on the bulkhead and this is a "traditional lucas " Im assuming I wont need this type of relay and should be purchasing the more modern plastic cube type - any purchase links appreciated. 

Wheres the best place to locate the relays ?

Do the relays need to be weather protected ?

Thanks in advance 

Paul 

Hello Paul.

I feel the thanks should go to Clive as he has them installed and speaks from a point of experience; I have only seconded his view !!

Yes go modern relay - I tend to use Hella units which are easily purchased via Ebay or through the usual companies that advertise in the classic car mags. Always worth having a look at Holden website for their items and excellent wiring diagrams. They are expensive and dare I say it I only use their site for reference purposes and purchase elsewhere - I'm really sorry Holden, it's nothing personal !!!!!!!!!! https://www.holden.co.uk

20amp relay will be fine if you think about watts divided by volts = amps; even the intial surge by the lamps being switched on will be within the 20amp capability. You can buy relays whereby you can install a seperate fuse which in many cases is a useful asset if experimenting with amp ranges.

Ideally you should have the relay located as close as possible to the load demanding item - in this case the headlights. However that said my Vitesse has the two relays on the bulkhead by the battery having been installed by the PO; there does not appear to be a performance issue.

Relay construction I have found to be very robust and certainly prevents water ingress in my experience to date. I use the old style Lucas connectors with the separate plastic sleeve which are excellent for insulation purposes and of course are era compatible - it's purely a personal choice. 

Hope the above assists ??

Best wishes.

Richard.