Oil Pressure

Darren Groves

So new, rebuilt engine in and it starts, oil pressure light stays on, so switch off quickly. Get out of the car to find it's dumped a load of oil which looks to have come from the pressure relief valve. The valve was definitely done up tight, so must have been under some pressure for it to leak past the copper washer.

What do we think the problem is?

Darren

You have got to take the valve off and inspect, or swap for another.

Thanks for the reply Clive.

My original post was done very quickly as I had to go off somewhere, so was going to add that I have another valve from the engine that I have just taken out, so a known good one, that I was going to try. Just wondered if a faulty valve would give way and dump what was a fair bit of oil or could there be anything else that might cause this?

There really is nowhere it could leak from, unless there is a problem with damage, or the mating surfaces. Maybe pop the plugs out (means there is very little pressure on the crank bearings) and get it spun over with you watching carefully. At this point it is a bit of educated guesswork, a gpod look should give some more clues.

Just had a thought (!)

pop the dizzy plate off, oil pump/dizzy drive out and spin the oil pump with a drill, see how that pans out. Needs a simple "thingy" in the drill, bit like a screwdriver.

That will save the engine any potential damage.

OK, so I have won the award for numpty of the week. Pete, you need to get a stock of new T-Shirts for me I think.

Oil leak wasn't from the pressure relief valve, but from the 4 missing oil gallery blanking setscrews I forgot to fit, put those in and oil pressure light goes out immediately.....what a tw*t!

On a slightly different issue, I started the engine and it was running nicely and had been for 5 minutes or so, then a strange noise and was only running on 3 cylinders. Identified it was No.3, popped the rocker cover off to find one of the rockers had jumped off the pushrod. I had set the valve clearance and the lock nut was tight so hadn't come loose, anyone had this before?

Darren