Help, my rear end is still vibrating and making noise.

So at the end of the season in my mk3 rotoflex gt6 I had the wheel bearings changed as I had been having a rumble from the back and vibration at anything over 40 mph.

The noise suddenly got a lot worse and there was a lot of play in the rear wheel. Wheel bearings were shot and at the same time I had the rear overhauled with polybushes and CV joint conversion. The good news is that the handling is transformed and the car feels much more together than before.

The bad news is that the vibration and noise is still there. It's not a whining but a rumble noise and a pretty serious vibration, worse on the over run. I couldn't feel much play in the propshaft UJs.

Is this likely to be the diff or the propshaft UJs. Ive read the canley piece and that infers it's more likley to be the UJs.

Help please!!!

The trouble with transmission noise and vibro is where does it come from

can you get the car up on stands , support the suspension at near running height and get under safely

a old wooden handled screwdriver used as a stethoscope can easily home in on the source of the rumble

Transmision noises you can start with the clutch damper springs and centre hub

the prop , its uj and telescopic slider, diff pinion bearings , diff case bearings

output shaft bearings, or worn or loose crownwheel... how long is the string

do check exhaust mounts and possible torque tilt making intererence on the tunnel, the diff front crossmember etc.

Sorry not much other than a list of maybe, s

Hello Brian, a small point, you say that you can't feel much play in the U/Js... there shouldn't be ​any. ​This could be the source of your noise. A dry- as in the grease has degraded or gone- joint or a needle roller in the U/J can make a fair amount of noise. Or is there some wear in the propshaft yolks, where the U/J cups fit?

I didn't have a great deal of noise but there was something I could hear; replacing the rear one with one from the Club Shop with a grease nipple made a significant difference. It also means that I can give it a shot of high pressure grease annually as a bonus. Also, isn't there a clue where it's worse on the overrun as in the drive isn't taking up the play? You'll get sorted, I'm sure. Best regards, Derek.

pretty sure it is tunnel out. 

There is very little room between the chassis rails, so although you can see the nuts, you can't get a spanner in there AND turn it. 

New UJ's may solve the issue. Check the sliding joint for play too. If there is, get a new prop. Otherwise it would be worth seeking a local propshaft repairer and getting it balanced at the same time. Alternatively, get a new prop. Yes, more expensive, but it is a direct swap, and should be a fit and forget job with no worries about ongoing issues. Dave Mac is the place....

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update. It's the diff that's the problem. So at the end of this it will have had new rear wheel bearings (which were needed and masked the other problems), CV upgrade kit, polybush complete replacement at rear,  gaz adjustables at the rear, new propshaft and reconditioned diff.

Triumphs, don't you just love them...

My modern is a Jaguar, the key fob stopped working. Unlike previous models where you opened the boot and drivers door, then flashed the head lights 3 times while flicking the ignition, to reset it, on this one it's a job for the main dealer. £60 for 5 minutes pressing buttons on a lap top. :o The tyres cost £180 each! I bought all 5 GT6 tyres for £120. Crying? Yes! 

• Like 1

On the other hand it is very comfortable, an armchair on wheels, and goes like a rocket :lol:  Also I have found an independent Jaguar servicing garage, not quite as expensive as the main dealer so not quite so painful. Mine is an S type but an XF might be next on my list, or an XK.

• Like 1

its not a huge boot, but its a lovely car!   Not a patch on my old XJ6 (XJ40) though, but 50 MPG and 200 bhp. Easier to load kayaks on the roof than the old C4 Picasso.though more care required....  Herald is the keeper though. 

Back on topic, Trevor the Triumph comes back from the garage, as I didn't have time to do it myself, on Saturday Morning just in time for the start of summer :)

It's all new running gear from the rear wheel until we hit the overdrive unit now. Maybe the engine and gearbox will get attention next year.