GT6 Electronic ignition OR timing issue

AidanT

Thats good, as I said the gap on the rota acts as a spark intensifyer this might affect plug life

but its another call that there are some cases these fail early

whilst I begin to think somethings changed , we dont have exact circumstances , every engine hiccup will have differing events surrounding the faults

whatever plugs are the life and soul of the engine.

pete

i am going to have a good close inspection of the old plugs at the weekend (Light want great at 10 last night)  I will give them a clean to - Any suggestions on this other than the wire brush? I was told once that the best way was to use a blow torch on them and just burn the carbon off.

BTW the gaps on the new ones were all over the place! I thought they set them?  Anyway I have to re-set four of the six to 0.025, they were around 0.04

Aidan

Many brush but you can end up with particles of wire brush down the ceramic and then sparks take a short cut, really any doubt about a plug is best binned and start with fresh you can look at them all day but you cant see what happens when they are under combustion pressures, which can make the spark leap out all over the place , there used to be air shot blast cleaners about which could apply 90 psi air pressure , when you did that test it you could see the spark move its exit point

pete

So just to let you know the results

Changed all the ngk plugs for the same but new ones

Swapped out the coil for a Lucas sports and repositioned it on to the bulk head (thanks Richard)

Bent up the rotor arm to circa 9mm (it was about six mm New out of the box). ( Thanks Wayne)

Rewired the LT from the fuse box ( note this may have been part of the problem The PO had bodged around with the loom LT lead possibly to remove the resistor ( guessing here)

Results of the above- car fires up better than ever and certainly no hesitation on acceleration. Admittedly I have yet to take it out on a long spin but that's my Easter present!

Aidan

Just an add on. Checked the timing via a strobe Sat idle with vac off It was running at around 8 BTC so I moved it to 10. I k ow the book says !3 but didn't someone mention to alter this due to the petrol we have now? I'm using Super unleaded with an additive

New plugs ha e a nice Gray Brown colour who h to me means it's fine.

Aidan, you are correct, 13 is too much with modern fuel. I would have said 8 but with Super unleaded AND an additive maybe 10 is right? Do you actually need the additive? Mine started to turn my plugs pink! Very confusing when you're looking for shades of brown. I rely on ear or vacuum gauge rather than strobe, turn the dizzy till you reach maximum idle then back a gnats. Similarly with vacuum, turn dizzy till maximum vacuum then back a gnats.

Hi Richard

My head hasn't been converted so I purchased a bulk load of additive with octane booster Not sure what impact the octane boost has but I am going to try at 10 for now and see if I get any pinking

Plugs are a good colour so carbs would seem to be set fine although the oil pots were pretty low Have topped those up now

Aidan

the effect of octane booster is 'on your pocket'

just run 97+ and put the £ in the tank and drive,

theres enough lead memory to see you into many many thousands of miles 

ever read on here or the previous  forum  of anyone having seat recession  ...No Never...  its not a complete myth but our cars dont really suffer 

if you ever get to a point where its occured then deal with exhaust inserts 

i would sell the stuff on and just use a highest ron you can get , there's lots f things going to go wrong way before you need to get worried about the things that dont 

just some rambling 

Pete

OK Pete I will take your advice. I think I might keep a bottle for France. I hear their "Super" isn't as good as ours based on some travel blogs on here. Could anyone in France confirm what they use ?

The 98? Sorry it's been a while since I've been. I guess it can't hurt????

Aidan

Hello Aidan.

I can echo the thread update via Paul (sulzerman).

Took the Vitesse to France a couple of years ago and did over a thousand miles; using 98 RON no problem experienced whatsoever. The fuel is widely available even in some of the remotest locations. In fairness I did take a bottle Millers EPS to combat any potential Ethanol issues but that never arose and so never used; we probably took it for peace of mind really so I do understand your rationale -  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250ml-Millers-Oils-EPS-Unleaded-Fuel-Treatment-Providing-Ethanol-Protection-/282225785336?hash=item41b5f7b9f8:g:nqoAAOSwNnRYfLW6

Looking to go back next year, so do not anticipate any fuel issues.

I agree with Pete about octane boost, just use 97+ RON and you will be find that will do the trick once you have set your timing properly. I tend to use Esso 97+ only because it's nearby but have also used Tesco Momentum 99 on the odd occasion. I certainly did not find any performance difference between the two and if there was it must have been so slight that it passed without detection. A note worthy point is that Esso 97+ does not contain any ethanol. Many will flag up BP and Shell and I think they all deliver what you wish them to - so "horses for courses" really.

Hope that assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

Re timing, just do it by ear. 

Your distributor is over 40 years old, and the springs won't be as they were when new. The fuel we use is very different too.

Timing by ear is as good as you can get, just keep advancing until you get pinking, then back a tad. I have done this for 30 odd years (ouch!) as my first strobe was a neon one and you couldn't see it! But on a car I had on the rolling road they could not improve on my setting (I was amazed. They did improve the fuelling hugely though!)

Re fuel, I have only ever used std 95 in my cars except on "special occasions" and never had any recession. Or other running issues related to fuels. 

And for those that know my cars, one does still have a triumph engine.....

Clive, I mentioned the ear method earlier in the thread. Guess you missed it. Just to reiterate, you can also do it by eye, with a vacuum gauge. Similar procedure, advance to maximum vacuum then back a gnats. Satisfyingly both methods set the dizzy to exactly the same spot.

Thanks Clive / Richard

i did this then checked where it was with a strobe! 10 BTDC ! Ha 

Just a quick Q,

I have an adjuster on the back of the Vac advance, which allows me to change the timing without adjusting the whole dizzy. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use this to do small adjustments?

Aidan

Hi Clive 

Its a Delco D200 series, standard for the Mk1 GT6. It was rebuilt a couple of years ago by H&H, so in good nick

Thanks for confirming, the lucas is probably better, the seating for the cap is very poor, although I have not had issues with it apart from the beginning of this thread!  I guess this adjuster is a redeeming positive!

Aidan

no triumph manual states the vernier adjustment increments   from memory you need a Rootes manual  for proper clues on small hidden detail 

on lucas the vac unit is marked in degrees as lines across the unit next to the main body,  A = advance   R = retatard

delco units with vernier  are also  marked AR but dont tink there are any degree markers

on lucas  i reckon one full turn =    1  degrees

Oh for  books with proper clues in 

Pete

on lucas the vac unit is marked in degrees as lines across the unit next to the main body,  A = advance   R = retatard
on lucas  i reckon one full turn =    1  degrees

I can't remember the clicks, but 1 vernier mark = 4 degrees at the crank.

C.

see   a  proper car     Oops !!!

odd how differing companies saw to make manuals informative and training all in one binder,  and others only told you what they thought you needed to know 

Triumph always seem to leave out the one little quirk you need to solve a problem , 

happy days    Pete

ever read on here or the previous  forum  of anyone having seat recession  ...No Never...  its not a complete myth but our cars dont really suffer 

Pete

I have come across 4 or 5 that have suffered, all Mk1 2000 engines in either Vitesse or big saloon.

So pretty rare.

see   a  proper car     Oops !!!

odd how differing companies saw to make manuals informative and training all in one binder,  and others only told you what they thought you needed to know 

Triumph always seem to leave out the one little quirk you need to solve a problem , 

happy days    Pete

Pete.

Being a Rootes owner as well, I could not possibly comment !!

Regards.

Richard.