Replacing Rubber Gators Vitesse

Hi, preparing for MOT and noticed the steering rack gators are starting to perish - Just ordered some QH replacements   . What grease do I use under the gators and secondly the grease for the grease nipple for the rack and pinion body assembly

Thanks in advance 

Paul 

The pinion is greased with 4 pumps of ordinary multipurpose grease

the passenger side a good smear on the rack of the same , and liberally over the sphericals any grease inside the gaitor is pretty much a waste of grease it wont go anywhere near the bits that slide or turn.

not all gaitors are supplied with the correct rack body diameter and you can fight them to a stand still

which ends up with grease inside and outside the gaitor and up to your arm pits and it wont fit over the body.

pete

The pinion is greased with 4 pumps of ordinary multipurpose grease

the passenger side a good smear on the rack of the same , and liberally over the sphericals any grease inside the gaitor is pretty much a waste of grease it wont go anywhere near the bits that slide or turn.

not all gaitors are supplied with the correct rack body diameter and you can fight them to a stand still

which ends up with grease inside and outside the gaitor and up to your arm pits and it wont fit over the body.

pete

Thanks for advice Pete - just finished fitting the passenger side which was very difficult. I used Gary's advice and warmed the gaitor in hot water , then used a large socket to stretch the gaitor . This allowed the gaitor with some force to start moving across the knuckle joint . Finally used an electric heat gun very very carefully to warm the area . The gaitor then went over the knuckle joint . Looking at the drivers side this looks much easier - I purchased QH Gaitors

Hope this helps somebody else

Paul  

Thanks for advice Pete - just finished fitting the passenger side which was very difficult. I used Gary's advice and warmed the gaitor in hot water , then used a large socket to stretch the gaitor . This allowed the gaitor with some force to start moving across the knuckle joint . Finally used an electric heat gun very very carefully to warm the area . The gaitor then went over the knuckle joint . Looking at the drivers side this looks much easier - I purchased QH Gaitors

Hope this helps somebody else

Paul  

Just fitted the Drivers Side Gaitor which at first inspection looked an impossibility as the end diameters comparing the old & new gaitors were way out and there was no way the new gaitor would fit over the steering rack - I found a solution simply fit the gaitor over the steering arm link . using 2 fingers inside the open end of the gaitor & pull and stretch then twist the gaitor and pull again.  After a couple of goes the gaitor fitted over the steering rack without any pressure required  - Hope this helps - These were QH Gaitors 

I found these YouTube videos by Scott Best  helpful in understanding the rack & pinion operating system 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7vd5sP1nng&t=17s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B2-pX2KiP0

Perhaps we could open a section on YouTube videos members find useful ?

Paul