Herald 13/60 Headlight advice

Berty

I bought my Herald last year and returned it home to the UK from Germany.

It is fitted with LHD headlamp lenses (see pic) and I need to change these.

I'm looking for advice.....

• Should I upgrade them to halogen?
  • There seems to be quite a lot of choice. Can anyone recommend anything ?

Thanks in advance,

Berty

2ll10rs.jpg

Halogens are the obvious choice, sealed beams are hard to get and just not as good.

Next question is what type. In terms of functionality the "crystal" headlights with something like a philips extreme or osram nightbreaker bulb are very good. However, the clear lens does not look original. (but the excellent lighting more than makes up for that)

Worth adding elays for maximum effect (but not strictly necessary, halogens don't use any extra current)

Most halogens have the pattern moulded into the lens, some are flatter than others, so have a look at the pictures of what is available!

I'll be honest, ebay is a good place to look as there is a lot of variety/prices etc. Landrover, Mini etc all share the same lights so plenty about. And don't worry about built in sidelights, it isn't an issue as you just don't use them (they seem far more common)

Halogens are the obvious choice, sealed beams are hard to get and just not as good.

Next question is what type. In terms of functionality the "crystal" headlights with something like a philips extreme or osram nightbreaker bulb are very good. However, the clear lens does not look original. (but the excellent lighting more than makes up for that)

Worth adding elays for maximum effect (but not strictly necessary, halogens don't use any extra current)

Thanks Clive. Yes, I think I would like to keep the original look. Are there any Halogen lights which have an approximation of the original lens ?

I have the Crystal headlights with relays, significantly better that the standard halogen conversions. I'd rather see where I was going at night than worry about if they look original  :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I like the domed ones.  I think the flat ones look wrong from the side.  

Osram Nightbreakers seem very good as a bulb choice - although more recently they have put a slight blue tint in the glass envelope which you can just see in the reflector and which gives the headlamps a blue tint in the middle when they're off - OK on a blue car perhaps  ;)

Thanks everyone - yes - the old ones were halogens - it was written on them ! I just presumed they were not.

I have purchased and fitted domed ones - all good...

Cheers

Berty