Spitfire diff mount spacer washer.

DerekS

Evening all, some time ago I asked a question or two about an extra spacer washer that is shown on some parts lists, it fits the left-hand side front mounting stud, after the rubber disc and before the second washer and nut. It has the same dimensions as the rubber disc and it's part number is 134603, "special washer". It wasn't fitted to my car when I checked so I ordered one and have finally got round to having a play with it today. In short, I took a few measurements before and after and ended up taking it back off as it badly squeezed the ( poly ) disc and actually altered the side-to-side ride height of the car by half an inch, down on the left, up on the right. Obviously no good but I'm still wondering why it's shown on the diagrams. The question I now have, though, according to the manuals I have, you should be able to rotate the rubber lower discs by hand when the lock nuts are fully tightened. It doesn't sound like a very positive way of locating the diff, or am I thinking too much about it?

As always, any comments would be appreciated!

The washer sounds like a factory solution to a misaligned chassis. Or other production issue.

Re the mounts, that surprises me a little. Thought they would be nipped up. 

The nose of the diff is pushed up under acceleration, so as long as the diff is held rigid I cant see an issue.

Never seen one with any movement, and never seen rubber mounts in poor condition, even at 50 years old.

Yes its an odd fix to space just one of 4 mounts , its not to offset torque on the front plate or the 2 ltrs would have it

the rubbers mounting stud has a shoulder to control the nip on the rubber cant see why any rotation by hand as its got the weight of the diff hanging on it.

My mk4 factory parts list shows 2x 131796 as the rubber pad washer 2x WM0810 and

1x 134603 washer LHD ONLY

so I dont see this spacer is correct for use in UK and as specicified for LHD its presumably to correct

lean on lhd road cambers

Many cars had longer springs on the ns to keep things level to avoid camber droop

just some ideas

Pete

The question I now have, though, according to the manuals I have, you should be able to rotate the rubber lower discs by hand when the lock nuts are fully tightened. It doesn't sound like a very positive way of locating the diff, or am I thinking too much about it?

As always, any comments would be appreciated!

The nut only goes as far as the threaded portion of the diff mounting bolt so it can't be overtightened. The diff should only be suspended from the bolt, hanging on the mounting and resting on the lower bush and washer - it's the best compromise between secure fitting and vibration transmission - there needs to be a little bit of flexibility as the transmission moves during driving. It can't drop off as the main mounting is the long rear bolt. So if you overtighten all you'll do is squash the rubber and not really make the diff attach any better! 

• Like 1