Tacho with 123 ignition/dizzy

Philbry

Hi, I've recently bought a GT6 Mk3 which has 123 distributor fitted and wondering what options there are on an electronic tacho to go with it as there is no mechanical drive.

I've seen a few conversion solutions on the web as I want to retain the indicator/rear demise lights in the lower part of the dial face.

Has anyone got experience of this modification and can suggest what might suit best? Thanks!

I did this conversion a few years ago on a GT6 Mk1; the article is in The Courier but don't ask me exactly when!

If you're not worried about looks then any 6-cylinder negative earth tacho will do, this includes Jaguar models.

I wanted a gauge that would match the existing set so found an old MK1 mechanical unit that I could cannabalise.

All I did was to take an existing electronic 6-cylinder tacho then swap over the face and needle from the old mechanical one. I know it was easier in the Mk1 which doesn't have the demister warning light but the main worry was getting the needle balanced and sitting straight and level so that it moved smoothly, as it's heavier than the electronic version. 

I've got photos on my other PC and will try to upload a few.

I recently made this change and I used a conversion kit from UREVCO. Have a look at their website urevco.com and you can see a video of a conversion on a spitfire rev counter. You use the existing rev counter casing and face and just replace the mechanical driving mechanism with an electronic one. It means you can keep the warning lights. It is a little bit fiddly to fit but it is working well for me.

The guy who sells this unit is based in Italy but delivery is quick and he responded quickly to questions regarding installation.

Mike 

I recently made this change and I used a conversion kit from UREVCO. Have a look at their website urevco.com and you can see a video of a conversion on a spitfire rev counter. You use the existing rev counter casing and face and just replace the mechanical driving mechanism with an electronic one. It means you can keep the warning lights. It is a little bit fiddly to fit but it is working well for me.

The guy who sells this unit is based in Italy but delivery is quick and he responded quickly to questions regarding installation.

Mike 

I have also fitted one of these to the brother in laws TR6 after fitting Megajolt and it was easy to fit and accurate

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I ended up purchasing a UrevCo conversion kit from Marco Testa in Italy. He was extremely responsive giving me a price for shipping to the UK within a few hours and sent the unit straight away. I had it within 2 days! In terms of the conversion it was a bit fiddly in parts but the instructions were very good and I now have it fitted and working. The circuit board and motor are well made and it looks like a good quality bit of kit. Definitely worth considering if you need or want to convert to electronic.