Reassembling Drive Shaft - Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Following Canleys advice to check shim clearance I am now pressing the Outer Axle Shaft into the Rear Hub - The splines are not flush yet see Pic . is this normal or do I need to press further . I then need to torque to 90 lbs / ft to check endfloat / preload then reassemble with oil seals 

Any assistance appreciated 

Paul 

post-1431-0-37986400-1494951435_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul, my shafts didn't need a press (which was good as I dont have one). Provided the splines are aligned / engaged correctly and you have enough thread the torquing of the nut should pull the shaft through the rest of the way.

Although I didn't do it correctly I thought the canley instructions comprised of dry assembly without the shaft (I.e. Everything pressed into place and using a small flat piece of metal and feeler gauge on the faces). Although, once torqued I suppose you could withdraw the shaft and them measure?

Not sure if that helps or hinders further. I know there are lots of endfloat / bearing discussions on here.

Cheers Adrian

Hi Paul, my shafts didn't need a press (which was good as I dont have one). Provided the splines are aligned / engaged correctly and you have enough thread the torquing of the nut should pull the shaft through the rest of the way.

Although I didn't do it correctly I thought the canley instructions comprised of dry assembly without the shaft (I.e. Everything pressed into place and using a small flat piece of metal and feeler gauge on the faces). Although, once torqued I suppose you could withdraw the shaft and them measure?

Not sure if that helps or hinders further. I know there are lots of endfloat / bearing discussions on here.

Cheers Adrian

Hi Adrian - thanks for input , I have plenty of thread to hold the nut so will torque and check endfloat etc  - My reading of Canleys instructions was to assemble without oil seals  , torque to 90 lbs / ft check endfloat etc , If ok  split , remove bearings add oil seals and reassemble again 

Ill let you know if the torquing moves the shaft further along along the spline  

Thanks again

Paul 

Hi Adrian - thanks for input , I have plenty of thread to hold the nut so will torque and check endfloat etc  - My reading of Canleys instructions was to assemble without oil seals  , torque to 90 lbs / ft check endfloat etc , If ok  split , remove bearings add oil seals and reassemble again 

Ill let you know if the torquing moves the shaft further along along the spline  

Thanks again

Paul 

Hi Adrian, just torqued to 90 lbs per ft and the shaft didnt move and there is thread showing above the nut - There is no play or end float and the hub moves freely so shim set up is ok  . Now dis assembling to add oil seals and grease -

Regards

Paul