anyone with a smart meter ??

Pete Lewis

there was a long story on  BBC  Rip Off Britain the other day where its been found most of these Smart meters they are pushing everyone to have installed do not work if you change /switch your supplier

the next generation will be more compatible and  some patch is being developed to upgrade the the first 10 million 

useless ones 

you couldnt make this up if you tried 

we seem  continually  surrounded by incompetence.

whats the point , they want you to switch , they want you to get a ( not so smart) meter installed

and then suffer , the hassle if you do switch    

after all youre only the customer     Pah !!!!

Pete

I've owned my house 21 years and I'm on my 5th electricity meter. They all worked before removal, so why?

"We swap them out periodically to recalibrate them Sir"

"How often?"

Long evasive answer which basically meant "I don't know. I just swap them out"

Number 3 was swapped after 18 months.

"You swapped this out 18 months ago"

"No we didn't it was 7 years ago"

As Pete says, complete incontinence. 

we had a old electric meter that used vast amounts even when we were away it took a year to get it calibrated with a test meter in tandem, 

it used  both used £200 of juice overnight and they scratched heads for another week put in a small digital unit and it used almost nothing

but we never managed to get a refund  began to  think we connected to the street lights ,  the peaks and troughs of erratic usage never got prooven apart from my diligent daily readings , i should have battered the ombudsman if he existed back in 2000

my email from the supplier to explain i come to the end of my price fix  tariff says im £156 in credit   thats good,  log onto my account and its £80 arrears, where's  the sense in that   over £230 error mis quote 

balmy world

Pete

I nearly made the mistake of getting one fitted a short while ago. Read something in the Sunday paper about them and promptly cancelled the thing. From the paper I understand it's the government driving the companies to get them installed by 2020. Politicians like estate agents should all be sent to the funny farm

Aidan

Politicians like estate agents should all be shot!

Aidan

You might want to edit that bit or the Thought Police may come calling.... :)

It appears that most of the meters where I work come with an optional (or is that compulsory?) magnet stuck to the side....

Dont know about current meters but the gas meter would count down if you reversed it or took it of and attached the vacuum to it

learnt that from a gas board director when we got gas laid on to a communal oil fed estate

not saying I did it ... really

pete

I installed gas central heating in my first house, wouldn't be allowed to do that now.

Yesterday the washing machine stopped mid cycle. Turned out to be the fused spur switch on the wall. The fuse holder mechanism had crumbled away, lots of little bits of plastic on the back of the work top. I replaced the switch. Don't tell anyone!    :ph34r: 

believe  you can change sockets and plugs without being incarcerated,   your not supposed to run in new supplies or ring mains 

i bought a load of wire and sockets dated prior to the rule changes , so if i do anything its ...old before it was new 

I dont muck about ,  was qualified once , long time ago now.

when we bought this house that jack built he was into all sorts of things, should have been called  Vernon Scripps

i remember taking wall tiles off  and ka boom   under a tile was a cooker ring  circuit taped  just twisted up together with sellotape 

and now i have a scraper with two nice grooves in ...a right plonker  these antics carried on through the house

didnt matter what you needed to tackle it was def  turn it off , as the ensuing disasters  unfolded.

Me, I don't need a DPO to find leccy problems.

I once drilled into the wall to put a screw in.  BANG!   FLASH!

I had drilled straight into the ring main of the kitchen, carefully channeled into the wall bricks and plastered over (as it should be, AFAIK)

I had hit precisely between the two wires, so the drill tip had shorted them, and I was only shaken, but deeply stirred.

John

I once hung a picture in the kitchen, centrally, above a radiator. The pipes go vertically down either side of the radiator, right?  Nope, I nicked both micro bore pipes. :( WOOSH!

After I installed central heating in my first house my Asian neighbours prevailed upon me to help their boys install their central heating system. I was swayed by curry and the attentions of their daughter.

The boys did well until the installation of the boiler, the youngest decided the boiler inlet/outlet vent stuck out too far and reconfigured it. The bang was heard, well, quite away away, my house shook. No one was hurt. The daughter lost interest in me once the job was complete.

Me, I don't need a DPO to find leccy problems.

I once drilled into the wall to put a screw in.  BANG!   FLASH!

I had drilled straight into the ring main of the kitchen, carefully channeled into the wall bricks and plastered over (as it should be, AFAIK)

I had hit precisely between the two wires, so the drill tip had shorted them, and I was only shaken, but deeply stirred.

John

I drilled into a cable helping my brother rehang a cupboard.

Carefully avoided drilling directly above the sockets.

Previous owner had run the cables diagonally

BANG!!!!

My in laws bought a fishermans terrace in babacome we had to install a cable for a lecy shower

the floors boards were ex ship and had metal tougues, that was a challenge , you cant cut them to lift a board, however on connecting shower and the new cooker turned the gas back on and round and round goes the meter to save time dad had nailed (the old square forged things) down the centre of the boards

and now we had 10 holes in the old lead gas pipe interesting , weekend.

I fitted a new oven by turning off the circuit breakers until the red light switch on the wall went off; removed the old oven and refitted the massively thick (30amp?) cable to the new one. As I tightened it up I touched the metal oven body with the screwdriver and there was a massive flash, I nearly welded myself to the cooker. It turned out I had turned off the immersion heater, not the oven...... 

Two neighbours in victorian semis :

Neighnour 1"My central heating has gone offagain .It's annoying as the engineer was only here this morning-and the oil gauge is zero but we only filled up last week. All he did fit some new pipe brackets- just was drill a few holes"

Neighbour 2 who had only moved in 4 weeks earlier"That's weird.I have just rung ours - there is an incredible smell of central heating oil in our basement

C h engineer apprentice had drilled through neighbour 1 s fuel pipe releasing over 2000 litres of heating oil in and under neighbour 2 basement!

N2 house uninhabitable for 2 years. despite steaming the soil , excavation and other attempts , then ..legal battles between house holders 1 &2 . N 1 lawyer and their own insurance company Central heating engineer's insurance f and the .

Family 2 .Having to move out and rent house.Much stress, wife upset, children upset..Ins co eventually paid them out but not before legal action.They bought new house after 18 months.

Old house sold cheap to new owners.They sold and moved on after a few months.House currently for sale.

Moral - be careful where you drill!