Anyone work with / understand new LED televisions?

Colin Lindsay

Anyone out there work with televisions or know anything about them?

I've been in the new house two weeks, the new 49" Blaupunkt television came out of the box and was set up on a terrestrial aerial setup. It found 30-odd channels, wifi was ok, some channels were blocky and no BBC at all. Over the next week things got worse to the point of no channels at all, just a message saying "no signal" and BBC iPlayer content couldn't be found. The DVD played through it ok, thank goodness, otherwise it would have been useless.

Now the strange bit: the house has six aerial points throughout the various rooms all run from a signal amplifier in the roofspace. Our bedroom television is always good, most channels, little bit of blockiness sometimes. The kitchen TV is good in the mornings but no programmes / signal in the evenings...! The one in the daughter's bedroom doesn't work at all.

I got seriously peed off this evening and tried a Samsung 48" television in place of the Blaupunkt. Full range of almost 200 channels, great wi-fi, great Internet content and all from the same connections and leads. The kitchen TV is now working perfectly as is the bedroom one. 

So: could the Blaupunkt be faulty and affecting the rest of the aerial network? The date and time reverts to 1st January 2014 and it no longer displays previously watched iPlayer content. I've contacted the supplier but I'd be interested in any pointers or thoughts.

Colin.

Reckon you may have a duff unit there.

I'm a big fan of Samsung & LG - pretty much out of the same stable and never had issues with either; as you have just found reverting to the Samsung unit.

Cannot give any tech advice just what appears obvious.

Regards.

Richard.

I reckon so, guys - Samsung still working perfectly this morning on all channels. Sadly I don't have the receipt for the Blaupunkt or it would be going back... but it can go into the small back room for the daughter and her friends to watch DVDs on.

Some TVs are better than others at reception and the "quality" manufactures are not necessarily the best. I like Sonys but my big Sony was the first to drop out when the signal was poor.

"Blockyness" is a sign that your signal isn't as strong as should be. Maybe your aerial needs some directional adjustment or maybe you need a high gain aerial?  Also splitting the signal does reduce what each TV gets which is why the splitter has an amplifier. You could bypass the splitter and wire to the troublesome TV only, just to check it out.

I tried adjustment and a high gain aerial but in the end I converted to Freesat, which has a much stronger signal. A one off payment for the box, dish and cable. Running the cable between dish and box was a bit of a faff but I managed to get it from loft to lounge unseen.

Do you or are you running multiple tv's on the one Ariel? If so and I agree some tv's deal with poorer signals than others, you may need a signal amplifier I have one in the loft close to the Ariel and run 3 tv's with 70 plus channels on freeview

Aidan