heater

david lewis

hi all from new member.

my heater only blows cold on my recently purchased 1969 13/60 even with the control pulled out so I think the valve ( Delaney ? ) or the matrix is blocked.

can I remove the front of the heater to get at the matrix without having to remove the whole thing ? or have any of you experts got any ideas of how to fix it.

cheers

I experienced the same problem on my own 13/60 but mine has the Smith's heater.

However, having replaced the valve, flushed the matrix thoroughly (twice) and replaced all the hoses, the heater still blew out cold air :wacko: .

I eventually worked out that the pipe that flows through the inlet manifold was blocked.

DSCF7258_zps2ed74709.jpg

I cleared it out with a curtain wire and the heater now works, but is fairly useless in a draughty convertible :rolleyes: .

You  can with a fiddle get the matrix out from a smiths, I have no idea about the Delaney,

garden hose on the tubes shifts some crud but will flow well with only a couple of tubes cleared,  doesnt mean the many others are flowing.

valves can clog up like Eddie's   tubes 

check you have a   std.  82c thermostat and its working.   cold climates went to 88c but thats too hot for normal  english climate and is more common on younger leaner cars of the 70-80s

Pete

Hi David

I rebuilt my Herald 1200 heater this year, so this may help:

As Pete says, check the stat is working and the right one for the car. The traditional method is to dangle it on some wire into a Pyrex jug or dish of water straight out of the Kettle, and if it does not open, it is stuffed. Cheap enough to replace from Canley, Rimmers et.al.

I think it is probably a Smith's heater in your car as original equipment, and it should say so on the front plate. If not it may have been swapped, but I thought Delaney units tended to be found in earlier cars (Pete will correct me if I am wrong!)

The valves can get full of solidified crud, in which case both Smiths and Delaney are available from Rimmers, but the latter are pricey. Don't forget to order the O ring seal as well.

Matrixes can be flushed as Pete says, but it pays to remember they are all now getting pretty old. I bought a new one from this guy, and his service is excellent:

http://www.demisterman.co.uk/

If you do fit one of his, the centres on the inlet and outlet pipes on the repro item are about a centimetre further apart, and you may have to enlarge the holes in the front plate with a small grindstone on a drill to get the plate to slot over cleanly. Don't force it, the matrix is delicate!

Demisterman supplies self-adhesive foam strip for sealing the matrix correctly into the box, and the principle here is that you are trying to avoid giving your newly-heated air anywhere to leak out other than where you want it to go. It is not necessary to remove the heater box to do any of the above, and if you do, the gasket sealing it to the flap box inside the car is NLA, so you will be making one or using silicone sealant.

Thus rejuvenated, your heater should be surprisingly powerful, if not up to Volvo standards. Mine is in a convertible and it is surprisingly toasty around the toes even with the lid down on a cold day. They can be uprated further by fitting Nissan Micra or early VW Golf fans and motors (see various t'interweb threads) but you are then into modifying the box, and the wiring for multi-choice switch gear, and losing originality.

Good luck!

Steve

Further to Steve's post I also used the Demisteman and can confirm service and product were both very good.

I shouldn't bother with changing the fan to the VW Golf one as it actually spins in the wrong direction, so it's pushing air the wrong way. I currently have one I my Herald, no improvement to airflow inside the car even at top speed.

I keep meaning to check out a Micra fan, but haven't got round to it yet.

hi all,

had a poke around yesterday but will have to investigate further and try to back flush the system.

the heater seems to be a Delaney so the demistermans matrix is different,has anyone any experience in removing the Delaney matrix just  by removing the front cover rather than the whole heater system ?

I will try the descaler too.

cheers

doddle to remove.  My Delaney in the Herald is excellent. However the Smiths in the Bond is pretty grim.  The Motor is noisy  ( But only when in the unit...) but the main problem is that when the PO repaired the chamber , he didnt make a good job of it so  the heater   doesnt seal well against it.

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys ,

further to my heater post the situation is that all heater hoses get hot so the valve is ok but the hose at the top of the Delaney heater does not get hot.

I have looosened the hose right off and after some bubbles get a strong water flow.

my problem is that I want to know is the top heater hose the return or entry for the water as I want  to reverse flush the matrix.

can anyone help?

cheers

Just flush it both ways several times.....usually loads of silt comes out, but that is not always enough to revive a heater. 

A good friend had to take his heater valve out to get his heater to work, even though he swapped valves and both seemed to work ok off the car. Really odd....

• 2 months later...

Hi David, hope you dont mind me butting in to your post

My 1969 13/60 came with a Delaney heater. As expected the valve eventualy started leaking and was beyond help. Ive gone mad and spent the kids pocket money on a replacement but I see it comes with a colied tube (capillary) which my old one didnt have. Can anyone tell me what it does / where it goes ?

Incidentally you can’t dismantle a Delaney on the car as the front cover is screwed right the way round with small self-tappers; you can’t get at the bottom ones while it’s still fitted. Smiths' covers with the large clips may be able to be removed; I’ve never tried it on the car. The Delaney matrix is larger than the Smiths so theoretically should put out more heat; the fan is also a different design.

I’m in the middle of rebuilding one and the quantity of dead leaves, twigs and other debris that was inside the box was amazing, so removing that, if nothing else, should aid air flow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

New to all this found madness - i've just flushed my vitesse heater matrix and loads of crud came out.  My question is when I put the heater valve back it only seems to 'push' back onto the heater hose inlet (on the heater matrix) is this normal of should there be some sort of clamp?

Also there was no temperature thermostat in the housing on the engine, should I get another or is this a normal 'modification'?

Great posts and help, many thanks for helping a newbie classic car owner ;-)

P.S sorry the car is a vitesse mk1 with smiths heater.

Kind regards

Also there was no temperature thermostat in the housing on the engine, should I get another or is this a normal 'modification'?

There definitely should be a thermostat.

Removing it is often a "modification" that is carried out to disguise an overheating problem.

the heater valve back it only seems to 'push' back onto the heater hose inlet (on the heater matrix)

It's a bit of a dodgy arrangement.  It does push on and should have a rubber doughnut 'gasket' (P/N A147) between the valve and the inlet.  The valve is held to the inlet by a stepped clamp screwed to the heater box.

Edit - Brainfade (now got a D-G) see Steve's post below.

C.

The valve seats on to a small mounting plate with two threaded studs which is riveted to the front plate of the heater. You can just see it on this drawing:

http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-herald-1200-heater-details

A small o-ring type seal (Rimmer Brothers list it as C9928A) seats in a recess in the rear of the valve (seen on the left in the link below) and as the valve tightens down on its mounting plate, this is compressed to form a seal around the matrix pipe.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ImagePopUp.aspx?i=GRID005209

See previous thread on this forum about heaters - if the matrix is ancient, flushing it may not help that much!

Regards

Steve C