Spitty goes to Spain and Portugal

rogerguzzi

Hello All

We are off on another jolly to foreign parts on Tuesday at some unearthly hour!

Spitty,s EFI is quite well sorted now and 2000+ miles covered(Isle of Wight and Classic Spa) and she has been on the rolling road!

So she is game for anything now!

This is the route we are taking give or take a bit(we like to find the mountain and back roads)

Spitty  goes to Spain and Portugal  June 2017  

Tues 13th     Leave home early to catch 08.45 ferry from Portsmouth   155mls

Wed 14th     Dock at Bilbao at 14.15 - drive to “Casa Rural Ofelia” San Martin de Luina (S)209mls

Thurs 15th    Drive to “Hotel Rey Fernando” at Santiago de Compostela (S) 170mls

Fri 16th        Day at Santiago and another night at “Hotel Rey Fernando” (S)

Sat 17th        Drive to A Guarda “Hotel Brisanar” (S)  85mls

Sun 18th       Drive to Canicada-Soengas  - hotel “Quinta de Bento” (P) 115mls

Mon 19th      Drive to Coimbra “Hotel de Luis” (P) 138mls

Tues 20th     Day at Coimbra & another night at “Hotel de Luis”

Wed 21st      Drive to Sao Martinho de Porto – hotel “Santa Antonio da Baia” (P) 80ml

Thurs 22nd   Drive to Estremoz – hotel “Pateo dos Solares Charm Hotel” (P) 120mls

Fri 23rd        Drive to Salvador Monsanto – hotel “Quinta da Mina” (P) 100mls

Sat 24th       Drive to Almeida – hotel “Casa Morgado” (P) 60mls

Sun 25th      Drive to Braganca – “Hotel Tic Tac” (P) 116mls

Mon 26th     Drive to Boca de Huergano – hotel “Tierra de la Reina” (S) 170mls

Tues 27th    Drive to Arroyal – hotel “Posada los Carabeos” (S) 90mls

Wed 28th     Leave Bilbao on 17.15 ferry 95mls

Thurs 29th    Arrive Portsmouth at 20.45 – home late   155mls

Total Mileage Approximately 1860 but will probably be near 2000mls

So wish us luck? any way could go wrong? and we are not in a war zone.

Just use our cars for what they were intended!

I will try and post photo,s again of the trip, I am taking the laptop this time in case I need to poke about in Spitty,s EFI(not been tested up mountains yet so Barometric calibration could be wrong)

Does it sound as though I know what I am talking about? :P

Roger

• Like 3

Roger,

Do you keep details of the scenic routes you have taken?

I'd be interested in following in your tracks. Italy last year looked particularly good. I'm sure others would too.

I'm wondering if we could possibly start another forum topic page where we could all upload details of scenic drives we would recommend......

Cheers,

Dave

Roger,

Do you keep details of the scenic routes you have taken?

I'd be interested in following in your tracks. Italy last year looked particularly good. I'm sure others would too.

I'm wondering if we could possibly start another forum topic page where we could all upload details of scenic drives we would recommend......

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Dave

I could work out were we went roughly as we tend to make it up a bit as we go along but with digs for the night booked(booking.com)

I would say be a bit fluid its not a tour bus trip!

Roger

Thanks Roger,

I agree ref the bus tour!

It's just that I've been thinking for a while now that it would be great to have a 'library' of tried and tested scenic drives.

The opposing point to the 'bus tour' is the possibility of being in a particular region and not being aware of a particularly fantastic route and therefore missing out. And then probably having someone say to you 'didn't you do the beautiful valley route?' When you get home!

Anyway my intention wasn't to derail your thread. Have a great time, I look forward to hearing about it and seeing the pictures!

Hello Dave

I must admit that is a good idea.

What shall we call the Topic?

I will try and get the little grey cells to remember some of the roads and places!

One springs to mind is the Mont Cenis pass between France and Italy (Hanabul and Elephants) that one is well worth the detour.

Just to wet your appetite!

I will ask the Memsahib as well.

Roger

post-44-0-73983100-1497273077_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-82149600-1497273096_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-27522400-1497273113_thumb.jpg

Yep, that's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind.

It would need to go in the 'General' section of the forum. We could call it 'Scenic Routes' or something similar.

The professional tour organisers spend a lot of time seeking out the best roads, and of course they guard their commercial information. Hence the idea to compile our own.

I've got a couple of routes in Scotland and Northern Italy I can contribute given a bit of time to get them into digestible format.

I'm due to drive my friends XK120 down through France and Germany to Munich next month (tough job but someone has to) and again I'm looking for scenic routes. So far fairly limited information found on the internet.

Yep, that's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind.

It would need to go in the 'General' section of the forum. We could call it 'Scenic Routes' or something similar.

The professional tour organisers spend a lot of time seeking out the best roads, and of course they guard their commercial information. Hence the idea to compile our own.

I've got a couple of routes in Scotland and Northern Italy I can contribute given a bit of time to get them into digestible format.

I'm due to drive my friends XK120 down through France and Germany to Munich next month (tough job but someone has to) and again I'm looking for scenic routes. So far fairly limited information found on the internet.

Hello Dave

The only problem I can see is that if it was a normal topic the thread would get to long and not be searchable.

It would need to be in a locked topic to view only with admin doing the updates into various sections ie England,Wales,Scotland,France,Spain etc

Then it could be a useful topic?

Roger

Hello Dave

I have no idea I think admin people need to be involved?

We are on our way now and all at SEA!

Only another 24 hours to go! We were up at 3am!!!! But was a good drive down to Portsmouth with hood down (the Only way to travel?) And with a bit of luck it will not go up for the whole trip!

Still its sunny and calm!

Roger

post-44-0-98609200-1497363991_thumb.jpg

Fantastic!

On a slightly less glamorous note, I'm driving my GT6 from Oxford to Warrington this evening!

I'm not sure but I don't think I have to take the ferry.........

Enjoy your holiday...

(PS I've contacted Admin. We shall wait and see)

Hello All

We are in Spain now and at first digs it was a bit of a long drive(192mls) but good roads and little traffic.

We are now 360 driving miles from home (about800+ on boat) so call it 1200 from Blighty and home.

Spitty is running ok will work out some mpg at next fill up! That will be over 3 tanks so give a good indication?

Off out to eat now

Roger

post-44-0-00546400-1497462176_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hello All

We have had a bad day today all started ok except it was a bit misty for the first 60+miles while we were passing the Picos mountains then the sun came out great we thought but little did we know what awaited us?

We had done 100+Miles when we turned off the motorway type road to Viveiro when we stopped for fuel them we started to get some funny(not HaHa) noises from what seemed like the rear end?

So I stopped jacked the car up checked uj,s and drive flanges etc all seemed ok I even removed the bit of tin over the propshaft at the front to check but all looked ok?

But the noise has got worse but now and then goes away?

But what I think now it is the nearside wheel bearing that is B*****d not had wheel and drum off yet and we got to Santigo De Compostela and the car is in an under ground carpark and we are here for 2 days.

So we have cancelled all other bookings for now and tomorrow I will remove the wheel and drum and see what I can find!

Any pointers will help Please.

So we were a bit P****d off  but then heard an old friends big C has come back! so we have got B****r all to complain about!!!!!

Roger

Hello All

We have had a bad day today all started ok except it was a bit misty for the first 60+miles while we were passing the Picos mountains then the sun came out great we thought but little did we know what awaited us?

We had done 100+Miles when we turned off the motorway type road to Viveiro when we stopped for fuel them we started to get some funny(not HaHa) noises from what seemed like the rear end?

So I stopped jacked the car up checked uj,s and drive flanges etc all seemed ok I even removed the bit of tin over the propshaft at the front to check but all looked ok?

But the noise has got worse but now and then goes away?

But what I think now it is the nearside wheel bearing that is B*****d not had wheel and drum off yet and we got to Santigo De Compostela and the car is in an under ground carpark and we are here for 2 days.

So we have cancelled all other bookings for now and tomorrow I will remove the wheel and drum and see what I can find!

Any pointers will help Please.

So we were a bit P****d off  but then heard an old friends big C has come back! so we have got B****r all to complain about!!!!!

Roger

Hi Roger, I've just picked this thread up. I'm very sorry to hear of your problem but as you say in the scheme of things no big deal. However it will be a great shame if it spoils your holiday. You haven't said what kind of noise the car is making. Please let us know what you find tomorrow.

Hello All

A shower and a meal and vino and the world does not look so bad?

The car is still Kn****d but HAY HO I might just live here for a couple of months?

I could get a rebuilt shaft and upright shipped out?

My only problem is I use 12mm wheel studs? so the hub needs to be loose and I do not have a big socket to tighten it up? but I could find a man that does?

What do we all think?

First 2 photos 1st stop and jack up 3rd food and vino!

Roger

ps must upgrade my tool kit it is sadly lacking(but not been used in anger before?) just have to tell the wife we can not carry so many clothes?

post-44-0-67149500-1497562743_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-13552200-1497562767_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-60569600-1497562798_thumb.jpg

Hello All

Well had the wheel etc off nothing to see but feels a bit rough.

I have managed to buy a grease gun and grease in the middle of Santiago de Compostela can you believe that? that,s 5 I have now!!!

So the plan is now to make our way to Lugo about 60mls away and stay 2 nights and review the situation.

I have given Spitty 6 to 8 shots of grease into the bearing(I know it will not make it better but I know it is well greased and not running dry) I will stop on way and give her another shot

We are determined to make the best of it that we can(Stiff Upper Lip and all that!)

So wish us luck(I am just going to lay my hands on the door of the Cathedral that all the pilgrims trek to!)  so that should do it?

Roger

post-44-0-42460400-1497614723_thumb.jpg

May be a quick finger test on the trunion will tell which side is the hottest

if its making a pong and a noise then some extra heat , more than normal should point to the culprit

if its hub bearing you need a press or hub puller .....to get the hub flange off, they either fall off or become joined for life.

you can hammer the shaft out off the bearing , the bearing is a push fit in the trunion hsg .

have you checked the diff oil level ?.

pete

Hello All

We made it to Lugo by stopping about every 10mls to cool and grease.

It was quiet for about 50 mls just the odd rumble(well stones in a bucket!) but its just the bucket of stones now.

She is parked up in an underground car park and we went in a big lift to get 2 floors down(that was a first for us!)

Still no word from Mossmonaco so not much we can do for now?

I think I will have to have the car recovered to Oviedo as it is about 140mls and not practical to stop every 10 mls(plus not sure if it would make it now with the noise?)

On a positive note(if there is one) working out the MPG over 500+ mls we seem to be getting 47/48MPG and that was before we were taking it easy and I ran it a lot in the garage before leaving to get the cold starting better(after the first of the trip fill up)

The cold starting is quite good now she just sorts her self out(not that it is cold really)but not working temperatures.

We have had the offer of a complete assembly to be shipped out to us for wed/thus and are just waiting for details of a members brother who lives in Oviedo.

Yes it is the same side as UJ failure but has covered about 3000mls since fitting and that shaft assembly was a replacement about 3 years ago! but have found out off supplier some bearings supplied to him about that time were claimed to be British but were just finished in the UK!(so one assumes made in China and perhaps final grind here????)

A couple of photos from today a grease stop and there was a place were the pilgrims have their cards stamped as we were on one of the Camino De Santiago way trails(to hot for me to walk like that but they seem to like it?)you can see one of the way makers behind Spitty(She is not impressed!)

Roger

post-44-0-96945100-1497715080_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-38530100-1497715089_thumb.jpg

Hello All

An update on the state of play?

The plan is now to fit a complete driveshaft assembly in the hotel garage!

I have been in touch with the local Lugo classic car club and Ruben has loaned me a jack,axle stands etc.

We were picked up in this car and taken to a workshop he and 4 friends own?

The driveshaft will be couriered out from uk from a Sideways technologies forum member so may have it Wednesday? will have old one removed by then so it is game on again we hope.

Ruben was contacted via the TR Register Spain? isn't it nice when old car clubs work together without politics? (it us against the moderns!!!!!)

Roger

post-44-0-33847800-1497802699_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-28752300-1497802707_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-07147100-1497802717_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-11756300-1497802726_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-30310300-1497802737_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-93923900-1497802745_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

You've worked hard behind the scenes Roger to get all this arranged. I'm not sure that in the same situation I would have coped as well as you have. Modern comms are great but you have to know where to direct your enquiries and it does sound as if you have been spot on finding the right people with the right kit. Not only that, I'm sure you've made some good friends along the way. Well done.

Hello John

Yes you would once the initial panic/frustration dies down and you put your thinking cap on!

Ok if it is the last few days of the holiday but 2nd day? with 12/13 to go!

Just change the itinerary(the beauty of booking.com)

Then relax over a Vino and Tapas(we do not work so just make the best of it and enjoy it!)

Roger

post-44-0-26711000-1497824741_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-82307400-1497824765_thumb.jpg

This is a great lesson in making a relaxed meal out of a nightmare

keep it up Roger , your holoday is just round the corner

good luck with the courier and replacement shaft, you seem to have this all well organised

think we all do a hats off for the guys helping you its more interesting than top gear

pete