Spitty goes to Spain and Portugal

rogerguzzi

Hello All

We went up on the cable car at Fuente de and was quite misty so after a couple of hours we came down.

Then the Sun can out and the mist went!!!!!!!!!

Off to the coast tomorrow for our last night in Spain! Then the boat from Bilbao on Wednesday.

1150 miles covered up to now 510 mls on replacement drive shaft?

A few photos from yesterday and today

post-44-0-60091000-1498488316_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-89240100-1498488332_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-99735800-1498488348_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-04517700-1498488366_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-73843600-1498488380_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-87501200-1498488395_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-63043900-1498488420_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-67144000-1498488524_thumb.jpg

Since you mention cable cars and mist, in Portugal, I can't not show my pics from the cable cars up Sugarloaf Mountain in Rio last summer (their winter!)

Brazil, of course, speaks Portuguese

This is from the upper cable from the mid-staion to the summit.  I was lucky to catch this viee across Botofogo harbour to the Cristo Redentor staure on Corcovado (Hunchback) Mountain!

JOhn

PS Bugger! It's sideways!

post-139-0-61774900-1498498978_thumb.jpg

Since you mention cable cars and mist, in Portugal, I can't not show my pics from the cable cars up Sugarloaf Mountain in Rio last summer (their winter!)

Brazil, of course, speaks Portuguese

This is from the upper cable from the mid-staion to the summit.  I was lucky to catch this viee across Botofogo harbour to the Cristo Redentor staure on Corcovado (Hunchback) Mountain!

JOhn

PS Bugger! It's sideways!

As are most countries around the Equator. Australia is completely upside down, UK is slightly tilted and only the polar caps are completely level. 

Hello All

Last night in Spain!

We are in San Vincente De La Barquera and the sun is shinning and we have a great view from our Suite!(can not show photo as tablet thing will not talk to PC)It could be me?

Thunder and lightening this morning but stopped by 10am so hood down :D  and nice drive here.

Its been an eventful trip but great(so go for it all of you?) if a nearly 72year old man can do it what excuse do you have?????

Off for some Paella now and a bit more vino(have you noticed the vino thread?)

Roger

Hello All

We got back Thursday morning(2AM)

The bay of Biscay was rough and ferry late!

The drive shaft sent over has done 750miles now so I suppose it is out of warranty?

I am in the process of making a hub puller to see the damage and size and type of bearings(will rebuild both sides with maybe new shafts)later in the year.

I think I will replace the diff as well(I rebuilt it with new bearings 10,500miles ago!) but it has a slight whine and the inner axles and sun wheel splines are worn! so looking for a good 3.63 diff to rebuild?

Still need to do some work on the EFI as at small throttle openings it is not nice(I think 40mm throttle bodies are to big? and may be 35mm would be better?) may look at motorcycle ones as you see lots cheap!

We averaged just over 40MPG for the whole trip so not bad? and I can see she is a bit rich in places.

We only did 1475 miles in the end not the 2000 to 2500 we expected!

But thanks to peoples help it was still an excellent holiday and as my son says I will be able dine out on it for ages?(as If would?)as nose grows!

Some photos of drive shaft and bearings (All B*****d)

I think we were very lucky!!!!!!! to have got as far as we did?

Roger

ps thinking of the next trip now?

post-44-0-07298100-1498938861_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-33349900-1498938874_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-76782300-1498938898_thumb.jpg

Welcome home Roger , so you reckon thats was making the noises then.

yikes

pete

Hello Pete

Its only a theory at the moment?

It might be some loose change under the dash?

Roger

ps some new balls and rollers should fix it? I have found 2 NOS RLS8,s on ebay (RHP) and 2 torrington rollers(no mickey mouse this time?)

Well done Roger. You can be justifiably proud of your achievement and not letting the breakdown ruin your holiday. I guess few would have coped as well as you did.

So where next time?

Hello John

We are thinking sail to Bilbao again then go to Andorra and mountains then drive up the west coast of France and sail back from St Malo?

2 new drive shafts ordered and seals I have 1 spare bearing carrier and 2 new GKN uj,s so can do a proper job for less than one exchange assembly from who ever? and know good stuff was used!

Roger

Hello John

We are thinking sail to Bilbao again then go to Andorra and mountains then drive up the west coast of France and sail back from St Malo?

2 new drive shafts ordered and seals I have 1 spare bearing carrier and 2 new GKN uj,s so can do a proper job for less than one exchange assembly from who ever? and know good stuff was used!

Roger

Sounds like a basis of a good plan there Roger. We have never been to Andorra but we did take the GT6 down through France, into Spain and back to Plymouth from Santander. I was interested to see that you visited Fuente De in the Europa National Park. On a separate trip with the GT6, we stayed at the hotel next to the cable car and did take the terrifying ride up to the top. We were lucky and the views were stunning. We walked a long way to a hotel for lunch but found it shut for the Winter which was a bit of a downer. 

I sounds like the fuel injection is working well so another triumph!

Well done Roger  - you're an absolute inspiration! We were in the south of France on holiday and happened to discuss maybe taking our Spit ... to Brittany. You've gone half way round Spain and Portugal (only small exaggeration) *and* Triumphed over adversity! Mind you, with your experience, the club's super-amazing half-shafts seem quite an attractive proposition!!!

Cheers, Richard

PS: I couldn't get as many cases of wine in a Spit :D

Hello Richard

We get our wine shipped direct from Spain!

We had an offer just before our trip for 12 red and 12 rose @ about £39 a case plus some P&P = about £3.50 a bottle!

We went to Italy last year and Spain the year before and all the way down to Jerez and Gibraltar! plus trip to Spa and Ireland.

Just go for it you will enjoy it and the waves and smiles you get for being in an old car.

Roger

Well done Roger  - you're an absolute inspiration! We were in the south of France on holiday and happened to discuss maybe taking our Spit ... to Brittany. You've gone half way round Spain and Portugal (only small exaggeration) *and* Triumphed over adversity! Mind you, with your experience, the club's super-amazing half-shafts seem quite an attractive proposition!!!

Cheers, Richard

I certainly second Roger's encouragement Richard to take your car abroad., particularly to France. They really love our cars. and wherever you park someone will come up and talk to you..Sue and I organised a tour of Brittany this May for six of our friends and it was excellent; really enjoyable. I did mention it in another thread which you can find here.

http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/topic/2552-improve-the-driving-experience/ 

If you need any more information or if i can help you in any way with the planning, please drop me a PM.

rgds

John

Hello All

New drive shafts came today so one is built ready to fit tomorrow(with proper bearings,RHP,Torrington!)

I must say it feels nice and smooth!

So on the strength of the repairs being ok we have booked the ferry from Liverpool to Dublin  2nd week in September for a 10 day tour of Northern Ireland(we went to southern last year)

Its to far to go back to Spain and Portugal for a week to 10 days!

Plus not so far to ship spares!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

ps I wonder what will be next? still that,s the FUN??????

post-44-0-70308700-1499282313_thumb.jpg

Hello All

Well the near side new drive shaft is fitted!

The O/S is stripped and parts cleaned and painted ready for assembly, the bearings were ok but the shaft is is quite worn were the oil/grease seal runs

The hub flange put up a good fight my sykes-pickavant puller was at max and it still needed a touch of heat and the BANG nearly gave me a bowl movement!

The UJ was a bit loose! but ok, still the new GKN upgrade one should see me out?

Roger

ps the new drive shafts were made in Taiwan which I suppose is better than China or India?

Well youre going to tai one see how it goes

, if you ever thought of a used there is a danger fitting used

as they take on a memory torque twist, fit a lh to a rh and you try to unwind it and they start a crack which

shears quite rapidly so you taiwan unit is probably a good move

Hello All

Both drive shafts fitted and hand brake adjusted correctly(You were right Pete!)

a quick test up the road and seems ok! and no clonks!

We are going to TR Register Malvern tomorrow so just a short run 35miles ish each way.

So in just over a week from getting back from Spain Spitty is fit and raring to go on another trip(and us!)

So for about £ 230ish both drive shafts bearing and u/j,s are new! plus about £10 for a pair of brake shoes(which have been sitting on the shelf for about 5 years)Club sale!

So as they game on again?

Roger

Hello All

Well got got to Malvern and back about 80mls and no unusual noises just the usual Spitfire crashing and banging over rough roads!

I saw the Classic Driving Development Ltd stall there and had a look at the Spitfire upgraded driveshaft and hub assembly (it looked very nice but at £996 for the pair) I think I will stick with the original set up?(perhaps if racing?)

I sold a TR4 cylinder head to a TSSC/TR Register member and a fuel pump(so that covers the cost of the driveshaft repairs)

I swopped a TR6 us spec differential(needs rebuild) for a brand new old stock Triumph cylinder head TKC1155 with inserts in both valve seats!(I think it was a US one reworked at the factory as it has TKC3239 crossed out and 1155 stamped on it)

It measures 3.060" overall and chambers about 0.580" deep so I think it is a standard 1500 UK cylinder head?

So just needs some work on the ports and combustion chambers and will be good for the new engine(and perhaps a light skim to get to 9.5 to 1)

Plus it was a good day at Malvern and the Gloucester section of the TSSC had a spot there and a good selection of cars see faceache.

Even bought some penrite oil at right price(well no p&p)

Roger

https://www.facebook.com/groups/270913342986169/?ref=bookmarks