clutch problem

bengaku

Hi hope this is the right place for this .I havebeen sorted out my 68 Herald so finally got the engine running and ticking over on idle.So went to take it for a test drive went to reverse out the drive stopped to clip down bonnet and car wouldnt engage any gear taking the clutch pedal up and even when foot is fully off car still running?So did a bit of checking seems it might need bled question i have is where is the valve for this it seems according to the haynes manual its right underneath the engine .Which would mean having somehow to lift the car up enough to get not only under it but also have enough room to bled it .So any help would be really appreciated. Thsnks for looking regards Paul

You can bleed it from under the car you may need to lift it safely to get under , two wheels up a kerb may work if you have no controlable drive if this is not possible then its time to take the gearbox tunnel, cover out and bleed from inside the car

the clutch slave is fitted into a clamp bracket on the clutch housing along side the gearbox approx behind the starter motor you will see the metal pipe feeding it.

the bleed screw should be above the pipe fitting screwed into the end of the cylinder

undo it a half turn and get the pedal pressed to expell any air, a short tube on the nipple into a jam jar or bottlle to catch the fluid

use a dot4 fluid .

Just a thought reading again, engine running , you can engage gears , but no drive

that sound's more like the slave is siezed, keeping the clutch disengaged regardless of pedal action.

If you cant engage gears with engine running then its bleed or other hydraulic failure

enven the dreaded withdrawl pivot pin has dropped out

The slave cylinder is that the one top of the engine bay next to brake cylinder if yes that works fine no problems with the linkage or leaking regards Paul

No, it is the one on the gearbox/bell housing. Pivot pin same place.

if you look down the drivers O/S back of the engine , see the clutch housing towards the gearbox there is a hole, often covered in old oily dust  its a hole about 8mm dia  , if a thin screwdriver drops in its missing if it stops a few mm in the hole its OK

in the hole should be a pin which goes right through the withdrawal lever . its held in place by a crinkle bush called a tolereance ring 

these break up and the pin has no head on it so as you use the clutch it falls out on the road 

generally followed by a hard pedal and no clutch operation

and to be  corrective   the slave is the cylinder that pushes the clutch withdrawl  mechanism attached to the gearbox or hsg.

a master cylinder is the one on the baulkhead and is the primary unit depressed by the pedals

Well managed to get to work on the car took off the plastic housing so I could get to the bled screw so got a length of tubing put the end into a bottle of dot4 and bled the system well at least I thought i did anyway car did after a bit of pumping the pedal go into gear then wouldn't rengaged the gears the drive shaft moves a little but clutch pedal still can go all the way up and car doesnt stall out ?so any other reason that it wont engage gears is it possible that it still has trapped air.Thanks for looking regards Paul

Hi Paul

They can be a pain to bleed sometimes, make sure the bleed nipple is on the top of the cylinder above the pipe. If not simply swap them round.

Also worth checking behind the rubber dust cover on the cylinder for leaks, any cruddy white bits mean its past it best and needs replacing.

Hope this helps

Just to be clear on what you are saying

the clutch gives no drive with

engine is running yes

you have managed to select a gear yes

foot off the pedal yes

You get no drive to the wheels yes

or you cant engage any gear with engine idleing

there is no resisitance when you press the pedal

I can select gears while engine is running the drive shaft will have slight movement and the car appears to move if only slightly but then nothing and it wont stall outeven with foot fully off clutch pedal bled nipple is on top of cylinder

look underneath at the propshaft when   idleing in a gear , if its turning and the cars stationery you have sheared the short output shaft on the diff

easy to replace providing the broken off section can be puled out of the diff 

its drop the drive shaft coupling, undo the 4 socket cap screws remove the small housing and coupling assy  it has a short splined shaft , if its failed the remains are stuck in the  diff  sun gear , may need a magnet to get it out 

theres no way of telling which of the 2 may have failed 

this may sound extreme but it happens   you dont need to drop the diff to change these 

When i engage a gear the drive shaft moves only slighty but the car did go into gear and did move fine but then stopped again and wouldnt engage gears so it maybe the clutch slipping or still air in system but think the driveshaft is fine although i did notice the bolts were a bit loose ?

Sounds like a burned out or oil-fouled clutch.... grips at first then slides. In any case it sounds like the clutch plate is not engaging the flywheel so as earlier posters have suggested check that the slave cylinder is not stuck in the fully depressed position. It's only held on by two bolts to the side of the bellhousing and a pipe into the other end.

Ok if you are in gear the prop is not rotating engine idling ..... so you have a slipping clutch

this can be the hydraulics are holding the clutch disengaged so there is no drive to the gearbox

then to complicate thoughts you mention it wont go in gear

will it engage a gear engine off but not engage engine running, which now means the clutch is Not clearing we then have the opposite of ....slipping

all sounds a bigger problem is appearing

pete